House Price Crash Forum
singlemalt

Adios! Empiredirect

Shame..... I thought they were quite good actually. Got my plasma from them.

I think they have a large store just down the road from Grattan (who are also stuffed) in Bradford.

Linky?

Is the the post-Xmas cull starting?

I was in a well known national computer store yesterday and was told by staff they were carrying very little stock and the items I wanted were not on the order list despite being 'popular' and currently out of stock.

The member of staff told me that the rumours in the staff room suggested the store may be targetted for closure.

Maybe there will be some substantial downsizing by the large retailers as well.

Got most of my electrical goods from them excellent service and prices also paid £20 for a extended 3 year guarantee probably worthless now :(

Sadly it will be. Shame as they were among the most helpful people I've dealt with when things went wrong.

Here's my theory:

Electronic goods are mostly imported and paid for in yen or other Asian currencies.

The stores can't even sell enough goods at the current prices which are low because the stock was bought with a much higher pound particularly against the yen or dollar if the Asian country has a dollar peg.

When they rise in price (as they must because the pound has tanked, the company may have been smart and currency-hedged ahead but not infinitely) then they'll sell even less goods.

Better to go bust now.

Look out for more of these.

Guest skullingtonjoe
I was in a well known national computer store yesterday and was told by staff they were carrying very little stock and the items I wanted were not on the order list despite being 'popular' and currently out of stock.

The member of staff told me that the rumours in the staff room suggested the store may be targetted for closure.

PC World? (hopefully)

Here's my theory:

Electronic goods are mostly imported and paid for in yen or other Asian currencies.

The stores can't even sell enough goods at the current prices which are low because the stock was bought with a much higher pound particularly against the yen or dollar if the Asian country has a dollar peg.

When they rise in price (as they must because the pound has tanked, the company may have been smart and currency-hedged ahead but not infinitely) then they'll sell even less goods.

Better to go bust now.

Look out for more of these.

Ok...fess up! :blink:

You've hacked my lappy and the trojan you've installed has activated the microphone so you've listened in and typed exactly what I've just said to my friend.

AVG's currently running a full scan! :D

Interesting. I have just got hold of a current digital SLR from a well-known camera chain. They also seemed to be carrying very little stock despite having the model on display, and I had to wait a week. Apparently there were 960 of the same model also on order to be collected in stores nationwide.

Guest sillybear2
Got most of my electrical goods from them excellent service and prices also paid £20 for a extended 3 year guarantee probably worthless now :(

Might not be, depends if it was underwritten by an independent company.

Might not be, depends if it was underwritten by an independent company.

It wasn't. When I got the tumbledryer repaired in December they used a credit card to pay Hoover.

Guest sillybear2
It wasn't. When I got the tumbledryer repaired in December they used a credit card to pay Hoover.

Sucks.

Phew, bought a TV from them 2 weeks ago, it never arrived. Phoned them up, they said it was on back order maybe 7 - 10 days. Found another supplier with stock so cancelled the order, got a refund to my card and bought elsewhere.

Just checked my statement and it was refunded TFFT.