House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waitingscot

Is Now The Time To Buy Rbs Shares?

I am not getting much interest in my savings account with the Royal Bank of Scotland anyway. I might as well change them to shares in the bank at some point.

RBS shares dropped by over 60% today.

Have we reached the bottom? Has anyone got any thoughts?

There might be lots of profit to be made from this point.

I am not getting much interest in my savings account with the Royal Bank of Scotland anyway. I might as well change them to shares in the bank at some point.

knock yourself out.

There will be some volatility on the way to nationalisation.

I have never bought shares before and would like to run something past some of you, who are a smarter than me.

If I was to buy say £100 worth of RBS shares tomorrow, then that would around 1000 shares. If I were to hold on to them for a couple of decades or longer, IMO I think the share price would have increased significantly and I would make a good return on my investment.

Is this possible ?

There is always the danger that RBS will plunge further and may well be the first bank for full nationalisation: at which point their equity might be totally worthless.

Keep your savings in an old sock under your bed: or buy really good quality antique jewellery, or good collectable watches; or Once Great Britain plc.

Apparently some geezer called Godron is offering this surreptitiously around the global capital markets, but all apart from a sniff or two from some other geezer called Mugabe and the Icelandic government, there is no current interest.

Provided you can afford to lose the lot and recognise that this may well be the case then why not!

The only thing that is certain is that nobody really knows what will happen in the next few days and unless you have access to inside information (if you did then it would of course be illegal to trade!) then you investment is no more than a gamble by a novice at a day at the races

If I was to buy say £100 worth of RBS shares tomorrow, then that would around 1000 shares. If I were to hold on to them for a couple of decades or longer, IMO I think the share price would have increased significantly and I would make a good return on my investment.

Is this possible ? I mean is there anything to stop me and once owned, and I held on to them, should they increase in value, would I have a problem selling them.

Do it. What could possibly go wrong.

Is this possible ? I mean is there anything to stop me and once owned, and I held on to them, should they increase in value, would I have a problem selling them.

If they are nationalised, guess how much you will get per share. How much will your P/E be then?

If they are nationalised, guess how much you will get per share. How much will your P/E be then?

If you can afford to lose the 100 quid, it's worth a punt. Is it that easy/cheap to buy such small amounts of shares though? If so, which broker do you use?

Whats the chance of nationalisation?

The government really do not want to nationalise anymore banks if they can help it, it seems.

If no more banks get nationalised for a whole year, then RBS might be worth buying.

Probably best to wait.

And then ask yourself if RBS will be around in 25 years - by then it should be a healthy profitable bank

I wouldn't bet anything you cant afford to lose. I don't know how much these shares are worth and nor does anyone else. The evidence for this statement can be seen by the fact that they raised 10 billion on the rights issue from supposed sophisticated investors.

You could lose all your money or double it. Its like betting on the roll of a dice. Half the people who comment on these things on this site have never owned a trading account or traded anything but a buy and hold strategy, yet they still give uninformed opinions. If they knew how prices on anything were going to move they would be very wealthy and not complaining about house prices being too high. I have seen such falls lead to companies failure and lost money, on others I have seen them recoup all the losses the next day. Its a gamble.

I bought £350 worth at 11p. I am prepared to hold them for 3+ years.

I expect one of two things to happen;

i) In the coming months they will be worth nothing

ii) In the coming years I will worth 4x or more what they are now.

I also bought all the other major banks. But It was a punt, I have not gone at their accounts in any details, and I will not grumble if I lose the lot.

Do not buy if you can't afford to lose the money, or you want to be able to sell for a profit (if there is one) for a couple of years.

I mainly buy ultra boring stocks, like supermarkets right now, and hold for quite a long time so I don't mind the occasional oversold or sector play.

You will certainly be able to sell them all the hold they any value at all. And you can hold them for ever if you like.

Edited by KingBingo

I might be wrong, I know very little about shares. But I believe that if a bank gets nationalized then its shares become worthless, and that is it. I believe that is what happened to NR shares.

So, if I'm right, steering clear of shares of any company which looks as though it might be nationalized, such as RBS, would seem to be advisable.

I might be wrong.

But I cannot advise you. I am not qualified to do so.

It's getting very scary right now. I have a feeling anybody with money is going to have a hard time holding on to it in this depression meaning your money will be worth more if you hold on to it. Putting your money into sinking ships is a good way to lose the lot.

I have never bought shares before and would like to run something past some of you, who are a smarter than me.

Is this possible ?

I have done exactly that except for the fact i bought 1001 shares. I will sit on theses barstards and ride them into the ground or high as a kite there will be no middle ground. Then again don't listen to me about my Woolworths or B&B shares :lol:

Instead of dabbling with betfair tonight I've put £100 on RBS at 11p. I fully expect to lose it, but if somehow they manage to recover even slightly a tidy profit is there to be had. Potentially, if the market can be persuaded to be as deluded as it has recently a massive profit is to be had.

It's more of a fun bet really to add that extra frisson of enjoyement whilst watching the share prices go up and down like a brides nightie.

FFS, why are you spamming every fking thread?

The poor chap is clearly mentally challenged. I feel a bit sorry for him.