House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the anti krust

Tonight On The Telly 2 Hours Of Stuff

ITV 1 8:00 pm Tonight- Fighting Repossession

Fears that 75,000 homes could be repossessed has prompted the government to launch new initiatives to try to enable people to stay in their properties. Fiona Foster investigates whether these changes have come in time, and if they meet the current demand. She also meets some of the families being evicted - including one squatting in their home.

BBC 1 8:30 pm Panorama- What now, Mr President

Barack Obama takes over as US President with a promise to dramatically change America and make it a fairer place. He is inheriting the worst economic crisis in almost a century, and a country so unequal that 23,000 people die every year because they cannot afford basic healthcare. To close the gap between rich and poor Obama will have to take on the might of the corporate world, which wields enormous influence in Washington. Can he change the world's most powerful country - and should he?

BBC 2 9:00-10:00 pm Million Dollar Traders 2/3 Profit and loss

Eight ordinary people are given a million dollars, a fortnight of intensive training and two months to run their own hedge fund. The money is supplied by hedge fund manager Lex van Dam: he wants to see if they can beat the professionals. The novice city traders struggle to ride the storm as stock markets around the world go haywire. Some of them take big risks, and others lose their nerve in spectacular fashion.

Didn't watch MDT last time any good peeps ?

Edit: fooked it now fixed

Edited by the anti krust

ITV 1 8:00 pm Tonight- Fighting Repossession

BBC 1 8:30 pm Panorama- What now, Mr President

Those two sound awfully similiar. :lol::ph34r:

I expect the ITV repo stuff may include the fella who was on tele this morning. Squatting in his own home 'cos the key to the rear doors was still under a rock in the garden. Didn't break in. Oh and he was 68 (?). Repossessed at 68 y.o. Something strange there.

Don't forget Jeff Rendall on Sky at 7.30pm.

Caught the end of it. I liked his figure for today:

The amount wiped off the value of the banking shares today - £17.5 billion!

So how much has been wiped off over the last couple of years with bank shares having dropped over 90% in some cases?!

Guest sillybear2
I expect the ITV repo stuff may include the fella who was on tele this morning. Squatting in his own home 'cos the key to the rear doors was still under a rock in the garden. Didn't break in. Oh and he was 68 (?). Repossessed at 68 y.o. Something strange there.

Looks like it.

Just shows you why lending needs strict regulation, the greedy and feckless need protecting from themselves.

Guest sillybear2
First couple: looks like Mewing casualty again. He's in work and they're being repossessed. Must be a big debt.

Not sure actually, £700pcm is probably about right for their £100k debt/house.

First couple: looks like Mewing casualty again. He's in work and they're being repossessed. Must be a big debt.

Perhaps we have no right to see the sums .. but TV progs like this should perhaps flash up the facts & figures

e.g. income, mortgage, loans, other debts and loan / equity etc.

When they were on BBC, they were in a caravan but then the credits at the end said they were now in a council house. Seems it is still classed as 'temporary' housing.

Guest sillybear2

Not impressed by the current fat ass miserable b*****d complaining about the temporary house being too small, on a busy road etc. Sorry to be harsh, but he should be grateful to have a roof over his head.

Edited by sillybear2

Not impressed by the current fat ass miserable b*****d complaining about the temporary house being too small, on a busy road etc. Sorry to be harsh, but he should be grateful to have a roof over his head.

Not wrong, nowhere to park ffs. :lol:

Two year wait for a council place, Believe that when you see it too mate.

The bit about people looking down on them rang a bell. I've felt like that for years, not being able to buy a house and only being a tenant rather than a home owner.

Welcome to my world!

When they were on BBC, they were in a caravan but then the credits at the end said they were now in a council house. Seems it is still classed as 'temporary' housing.

Poor dears dont like the stigma of renting and, shock horror, not having off street parking.

Its funny that he thinks people might form a bad impression of him because he rents, i can think of a lot of other things, starting with being a fat foul mouthed oaf.

Sale and leaseback wouldn't happen on the old fella with the "£700k" house. Who would authorise paying that much for a sale / leaseback scheme! Probably wouldn't qualify for being over 65 as well. Must have had big debts.

Edited by deflation

Guest sillybear2
The bit about people looking down on them rang a bell. I've felt like that for years, not being able to buy a house and only being a tenant rather than a home owner.

Welcome to my world!

To be honest I think he's just being a little paranoid, people just go about their daily business regardless of anyone else, does he expect to be the center of attention or something? It seems people need to learn some basic lessons, nobody owes you a living and that we shouldn't have a nihilist civil society but ultimately nobody cares about you, not least the government, you have to look after yourself and your family.

No sympathy for the MEW brigade. But I did think it was a bit harsh the way a bank can go after you, years later for any short fall - plus a massively disproportionate amount of interest! :o

Edited: because I can!

Edited by muggle

Guest sillybear2
No sympathy for the MEW brigade.

Thought it was a bit harsh the way a bank can go after you, years later for any short fall - plus interest! :o

The case was on the local news, the bank came knocking in 2002 and he and the bank eventually came to a settlement figure of about £10k and they agreed to a £1k a year payment plan, but the guy stopped paying for some reason. I suppose he thought he'd got away with it for so long if he ignored them they'd simply write off the remainder, anyway the bank decided he had unilaterally broke their agreement and sued for full settlement plus 16 interest. His son was upset apparently, but the local news showed them both playing x-box 360 on a 50" plasma.

Anyway, there's always two sides to every story. I do feel genuinely sorry for those who simply wanted a house and got sucked into this madness.

Edited by sillybear2