House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Will The Great British Public Ever Rise Up

I'm up for it. As soon as you hear about any sort of London based demonstration let me know. I'll be there.

For the first time in my life, so am I.

I bet it wouldn't take much to organise one on Facebook

Yeah right that target age group really has a grip on what's going on :blink:

I'd be happy to do a drive slow on a major motorway - that normally gets some publicity and you can keep warm and listen to the radio at the same time as demonstrating. I am being serious though.

...or will we see British 'phlegm' operating as usual? :unsure:

What is the alternative to what he's doing? Seriously, what do you suggest? Let the banks collapse? Then what?

What is the alternative to what he's doing? Seriously, what do you suggest? Let the banks collapse? Then what?

Don't have any more banks?

Except those lovely warehouse banks, obviously.

The "other" proposal which appears to be doing the rounds is that the government insures essentially all deposits and then stands back. Presumably RBS and HBoS would go. I guess that Barclays and HSBC would be strengthened with increased deposits, the ability to cherry-pick the former two's assets, and less competition in the future.

Whether it would work, who knows. We do seem to have survived Lehman's demise,

Peter.

Don't have any more banks?

Except those lovely warehouse banks, obviously.

OK. So you run a business, and you want to expand. How do you do that if your cash flows do not permit?

OK. So you run a business, and you want to expand. How do you do that if your cash flows do not permit?

You save up and pay for it yourself aka capitalism.

You save up and pay for it yourself aka capitalism.

Sure, that's one way. But would that not entail lost opportunties? That is, someone wants to trade, but can't because s/he does not have the capital to make the trade. If everyone was in that position, nothing would happen right?

Sure, that's one way. But would that not entail lost opportunties? That is, someone wants to trade, but can't because s/he does not have the capital to make the trade. If everyone was in that position, nothing would happen right?

Nope.

Capital isn't money you see.

It's real world stuff that you cut back on using today in order to be able to make even more tomorrow. Money can be pretty much anything that people need or want. If you have got services or goods that have a market value, that's all that matters.

...or will we see British 'phlegm' operating as usual? :unsure:

And replace them with..?

Does anyone truthfully think this would have played out any different with the tories at the helm?

Could you have seen a tory chancellor having a five minute slot on TV in 2005 telling us all we must stop borrowing and spending so much, house prices are getting too high and we need to cool off the economy?

No. Me neither.

They're all as bad as each other.

That's the depressing part. Regardless of the colour of the tie, they're all the bl**dy same.

No one will arrive to save you.

If someone does without getting shot, they've already been bought and sold. (See the forthcoming Obama disapointment parts 1-97.)

Guest AuntJess
And replace them with..?

Does anyone truthfully think this would have played out any different with the tories at the helm?

Could you have seen a tory chancellor having a five minute slot on TV in 2005 telling us all we must stop borrowing and spending so much, house prices are getting too high and we need to cool off the economy?

No. Me neither.

They're all as bad as each other.

That's the depressing part. Regardless of the colour of the tie, they're all the bl**dy same.

Weeell, Yes. They all have the capacity to p*ss us off and do things we don't like. But only Labour govts - in MY living memory - have reduced us to penury every time they've been allowed in.

As well let a compulsive gambler loose in Fort Knox :ph34r: The alternative is letting a miserly but genuinely prudent crew have charge of our hard-earned money. A miser can be softened - look at Scrooge - but once a gambler has blued the cash - all is catastrophe. :(