House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

How Are The Cabbies Doing?

Just been in Leicester station and the queue of black cabs outside was way back down the road.Longest I've ever seen.

Are there any cabbies around who can update us?

Father in law is an airport cabbie. he said he has never know it as bad. Very quiet, people not prepared to pay for long distance fare,

I took a cab on friday from willesden green, i had never been their before everything seemed to be closing, the cabbie was very depressed he said business was very bad, but then cabbies are always complaining, his son had just bought a house and the company he works for virgin media was going to sack either him or someone else in the web development dept.

His wife has an african dvd rental shop and on the previous friday took about £50 last year she was taking £300+ on a friday.

I work as a cabbie and it's is very quiet now.

It's a double hit as well, first there are less customers using our services, but also more taxi drivers working all hours to make up the shortfall to pay for their lease purchase cars/mpv's.

There's also a lot more haggling going on (I don't mind myself, but others get offended if it's not full meter rate).

As I own my old 8 seat taxi outright, my plan is to stay as I am until April and then decide if it's worth sticking with, if not, I can sell the van and make a clean break for the next financial year, others that I know don't have that luxury as they owe thousands (one is over 40k) on their worthless new vehicles.

Hardly surprising really...a fixed fare system doesn't allow cabbies to compete on price, so its either pay the outrageous fares, or take the tube or bus...easy decision for me nowadays.

Also, I've noticed a lot more cars with the Licensed Cab sticker on the back windscreen (or whatever its called)...this is Central London. Maybe minicab firms getting more business as they can lower there prices, whereas black cabs cant.

Shame Boris raised the bus prices from 90p to £1, I think slashing prices was the best thing (the ONLY good thing?) Ken ever did...public transport should be dirt cheap if they want people to use it, when bus prices were cut to 90p I certainly noticed a lot more people using it.