House Price Crash Forum

Had A Letter From The Tax Man

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Had a letter from the tax man, suggesting ive paid too much tax, lol and could i please give them more info, well i never, i paid too much tax in 2005 yet never recieved a letter like this, seems like iam a target now for the tax man.

sounds like a ploy. id give this a wide berth.

id write and ask what info the need, or if they have told you id ask WHY.

then id hot foot it to an accountant before sending any info.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I had a letter last year saying that they thought I'd overpaid NI during 2006, a year in which I changed jobs. Sent them copies of the P45 from the outgoing job and the first P60 from the new one, and got a cheque for £75 or so in the post a month later.

I doubt if they're sending many letters like that out now...

HOLA4410
I had the same one. get in touch you may have paid too much tax between the years x and y, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I know for a fact it's a ploy as I didn't pay any tax in the years they're talking about. And they know it :lol:

What is the ploy? What information are they after, and how could they use this against you?

HOLA4411
I had a letter last year saying that they thought I'd overpaid NI during 2006, a year in which I changed jobs. Sent them copies of the P45 from the outgoing job and the first P60 from the new one, and got a cheque for £75 or so in the post a month later.

I doubt if they're sending many letters like that out now...

On the contrary, I think this year will be a record year for tax refunds. Your tax code, self-assesment payments, etc. are based on the previous years payment. For people who have had a worse 2007/2008 tax year than the previous year (i.e. most people), they are likely to be getting something back, either as a cash payment or held 'on account' - they pay less this year than is due.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I had a job with the tax office sending these letters out.

Form P90 gets sent out to people with gappy or incomplete tax records. Work out your tax yourself. If they owe you, fill it in, send it back and collect the cheque. If you owe them, bin it, and the poorly paid temps processing these things will ignore you and move onto someone else.

The stated purpose of the IR is to ensure you pay exactly the right amount of tax; no more, no less. So hold them to it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417