House Price Crash Forum
Te Mata

Australia Faces Its Demons

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

Is there any reason prices should be higher than 2003 levels (other than cheap, easy credit and inflation from the RBA)?

Population growth? Inner Brisbane population has grown by 2% a year since then and the majority of new housing would have been apartments near the city and townhouses.

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

Just to add you also need to decide if you think it's fair value... 

Well, nothing over here seems like fair value, I cannot imagine how it is in Sydney. I initially set a max budget of $550k but then found that we would need to be 25km out of the city and have a very long commute.

What's your employment situation like?  

We were in Brisbane for a while but permanent work was hard to find. They didn't seem keen on foreigners.

Edited by Flopsy

5 minutes ago, Flopsy said:

What's your employment situation like?  We were in Brisbane for a while but found it hard to find long lasting work.

Been with the same company for 8 years (3 years in the UK and now 5 years over here). We are a major supplier to the oil and gas industry and I am the most senior sales person at the moment with possibilities to become management in the next 5-10 years.

The industry is looking good and we are in a strong position so I feel relatively secure. Salary is very good too  and I get an annual bonus on top of that.

I know what you mean about jobs though, my wife hasn't worked since we left the UK (we have had 2 kids in that time) but I think that the search will be hard. 

We were in Adelaide for a few years and that is even worse for jobs...

That's good to hear. I remember the area you are looking to buy in and it was one of the better ones.

On 05/03/2019 at 21:38, Flopsy said:

That's good to hear. I remember the area you are looking to buy in and it was one of the better ones.

I now have pre approval for the mortgage and the estate agent hasn't had any offers in the last 6 weeks...but it seems that the Australian economy is imploding at a faster and faster rate. I mean even with all the Brexit madness going on the pound is still at a 12 month high because everyday there is more shit news about the economy.

With that said we have been online looking at houses and have been to see about 6 other places in the last 2 weeks and everything in our price range is absolutely terrible.

Even though I have been waiting for this moment for so long I don't think we can wait any longer and I am going to make a lowball offer to start. I have my upper limit but will not even allow myself to get that high. If they balk at the low offer I will go a little higher but will have to have the will to walk away and not get carried away.

Sounds like a sensible attitude to take. It's tempting to sit and wait for the market to hit the lowest ebb but if it is the right house and if you will be happy, comfortable and able to service the mortgage then it may be the best that could happen.

Also, you have a figure to offer and not going to get involved in a bidding war or Estate Agent type shenanigans.

Edited by Flopsy

4 hours ago, pepto said:

I now have pre approval for the mortgage and the estate agent hasn't had any offers in the last 6 weeks...but it seems that the Australian economy is imploding at a faster and faster rate. I mean even with all the Brexit madness going on the pound is still at a 12 month high because everyday there is more shit news about the economy.

With that said we have been online looking at houses and have been to see about 6 other places in the last 2 weeks and everything in our price range is absolutely terrible.

Even though I have been waiting for this moment for so long I don't think we can wait any longer and I am going to make a lowball offer to start. I have my upper limit but will not even allow myself to get that high. If they balk at the low offer I will go a little higher but will have to have the will to walk away and not get carried away.

I had an Oz job offer a few years ago.

One paper it looked good. But when I put in the cost of stuff, not just housing but food and whatnot, it was pretty p1sspoor.

Then when I put in the likely commute time - Oz is horrendous for car commutes - it was pretty insulting.

When you consider the day to day, more mundane  lifestyle i.e. not relaxing om Bondi beach, Oz should never be that expensive - its a long way away, there are limited job opportunities, every thing is expensive.

On 14/03/2019 at 02:16, spyguy said:

I had an Oz job offer a few years ago.

One paper it looked good. But when I put in the cost of stuff, not just housing but food and whatnot, it was pretty p1sspoor.

Then when I put in the likely commute time - Oz is horrendous for car commutes - it was pretty insulting.

When you consider the day to day, more mundane  lifestyle i.e. not relaxing om Bondi beach, Oz should never be that expensive - its a long way away, there are limited job opportunities, every thing is expensive.

Yes, it is very expensive over here. I would say that other than housing the general cost of living is similar to London. 

Also right about the commute...most Aussie's don't want to live so near the city, want a large block of land with lots of outdoor space and a pool etc. and don't mind travelling for an hour to get to work. They are quite happy to live their mundane lifestyle in their own back yard with trips to Bunnings (think B&Q) and the nearest Westfield shopping mall for their weekly (non) cultural fix and social interaction.

Brisbane is actually a very beautiful city and if you can afford to live within say 10km of the CBD there are lots of pretty suburbs with a bit of a neighbourhood feel to them and with decent public transport. The key is that you need to be close to the city to get anything like this and even though prices here are cheaper than Sydney and Melbourne you still don't get a lot for your money.

I lucked out when I cam over here and more than doubled my salary and so am doing alright. I know a few other couples where only 1 is working though and it seems that if the household income is less than AUD 100k (GBP 55k) then things can get very tight...just like London.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, Flopsy said:

What's your employment situation like?  

We were in Brisbane for a while but permanent work was hard to find. They didn't seem keen on foreigners.

20 years ago we moved to Brisbane (you may find it hard to believe but it was even more parochial and backwards than it is today).  I was invited to an interview with an agency that I had applied for a particular job through.  I was told to sit down and then instead of the usual preamble small talk before the buisness of specific job talk and CV's the two of them sitting in front of me went straight in to a lecture about how they have their own unemployed people and why did I turn up in Brisbane looking to take someones job? and that they were sick of foreigners turning up to take jobs, I told them that a) I was an Australian(I am Australian ,but with a Brit accent which also goes against me, apparently to some over there makes me a traitor) and b) Had good work collegues in Melbourne and London from Brisbane who were always telling me how great QLD is and thats why I was there, because of their own kind convincing me to (not true but it suited the conversation)  also to note and then I told them that they had absolutely convinced me that Brisbane was a shithole not worth living in and the people are narrow minded pigs not worth bothering with.  I didnt get the job by the way., never even spoke about it. As karma would have it, fast forward 10 years from that interview, I was sitting in on an interview for a Brisbaneite who was comming across all arrogant and cocky about his IT prowess he'd mastered back in gods own country but was apparently well qualified for the job, but then I spent the next half hour convincing my boss that we really did not want this chap in our office, and I know the type and how he will behave in the office.  Not often you get revenge but when you do...

As for house prices over there and the mainstay of speculators 'owning' the show and price rises.  There has been a big drop off but as expected the banks are not giving up and APRA, the RBA and the government are quietly saying nothing about new specufestor loans comming onto the market whereby interest only loans of 10 years duration  (ie 2x the size of pre Royal commison 5year max) and up to 90% (up from 80% at its previous worst) of the valuation are now on offer from ANZ, the rest of the banks to follow.  I think we all knew that the dark forces wouldnt lie down in their coffins and die.

Also to note that Aus still hasnt imposed anti money laundering laws as they agreed to with the rest of the world on money laundering 10 years ago.  Estate agents, real estate lawyers and so on do not have to confirm anything nor report anything.   suitcases full of cash, no problem and the politicians who are up to their necks in real estate speculation want to keep it this way.   Most of the money is from China but an unknown amount from terrorism activities and drug dealing etc (from all over the world)  All to feed the RE monster.

Edited by steve99
typo

41 minutes ago, steve99 said:

20 years ago we moved to Brisbane (you may find it hard to believe but it was even more parochial and backwards than it is today).  I was invited to an interview with an agency that I had applied for a particular job through.  I was told to sit down and then instead of the usual preamble small talk before the buisness of specific job talk and CV's the two of them sitting in front of me went straight in to a lecture about how they have their own unemployed people and why did I turn up in Brisbane looking to take someones job? and that they were sick of foreigners turning up to take jobs, I told them that a) I was an Australian(I am Australian ,but with a Brit accent which also goes against me, apparently to some over there makes me a traitor) and b) Had good work collegues in Melbourne and London from Brisbane who were always telling me how great QLD is and thats why I was there, because of their own kind convincing me to (not true but it suited the conversation)  also to note and then I told them that they had absolutely convinced me that Brisbane was a shithole not worth living in and the people are narrow minded pigs not worth bothering with.  I didnt get the job by the way., never even spoke about it. As karma would have it, fast forward 10 years from that interview, I was sitting in on an interview for a Brisbaneite who was comming across all arrogant and cocky about his IT prowess he'd mastered back in gods own country but was apparently well qualified for the job, but then I spent the next half hour convincing my boss that we really did not want this chap in our office, and I know the type and how he will behave in the office.  Not often you get revenge but when you do...

People always think I'm joking about Australians being deeply, intrinsically racist and homophobic (pretty misogynist too but that seems to be lauded on HPC). In 2019 it's still perfectly acceptable in many offices to use racial slurs. Ideologically they have far more in common with American Republicans and rednecks than with most Brits (climate denial, intergenerational subjugation of native peoples, superiority complex, fragile masculinity). 

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

People always think I'm joking about Australians being deeply, intrinsically racist and homophobic (pretty misogynist too but that seems to be lauded on HPC). In 2019 it's still perfectly acceptable in many offices to use racial slurs. Ideologically they have far more in common with American Republicans and rednecks than with most Brits (climate denial, intergenerational subjugation of native peoples, superiority complex, fragile masculinity). 

I lived in Australia for about a year. Travelled around for another 6 months. It was without doubt, the most homophobic and racist western country I've ever been. 

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

28 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I lived in Australia for about a year. Travelled around for another 6 months. It was without doubt, the most homophobic and racist western country I've ever been. 

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. I lived there for nearly 10 years all up. I spent quite a bit of time in remote areas (FNQ in particular), and there is apartheid in all but name up there with the Aboriginal communities. The casual racism and off-hand comments from people that you have only just met and barely know is something I've never come across before outside of Australia. There is an assumption that if you are a white male then you are racist and it is OK to talk in terms that simply wouldn't be acceptable elsewhere. Which is not to say that there aren't racists here, of course, but I've never in my life had a conversation with someone who has started using racist language before they even knew me and my position on such things (or after, just to be clear). No doubt much less prevalent in the major cities, but even when I was working in Sydney my boss let slip (after a few glasses of wine) that the solution to the Aboriginal "problem" was cyanide. This was a guy that had been on the board of Commbank and as straight-laced as they come. Bizarre place in many ways but none of them would admit there is a problem. Look at some of John Pilger's documentaries to open your eyes on what happens there with the Aborigines.  

Not surprising to read about "typical" Oz attitudes a country that still has brands such as Coons  (cheese) and Golden Gaytime (Ice lollies) on their supermarket shelves. 

To be fair, I wouldn't say that is the "typical" view of Aussies, especially in the cities, but get out into the sticks and it is a different story. The aboriginal issue, as distinct from general racism, seems to be a massive blind spot for everyone though. Out of sight, out of mind and easier not to think about it too much seems to be the general approach.

On 15/03/2019 at 18:09, mattyboy1973 said:

The casual racism and off-hand comments from people that you have only just met and barely know is something I've never come across before outside of Australia. 

Bang on.

Met an Aussie at an event a couple years ago and on hearing I'd lived there she immediately assumed it was ok for her to start making homophobic slurs about the gay guys in the room. Their default setting is openly bigoted. 

TBH as the heat keeps ratcheting up the way it's going they'll be making asylum applications to Europe in 100 years, and it'll serve them right. 

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Crim?

Expensive (at retail prices) medical problem.  My visa sponsors were state hospitals who would only have paid cheaper wholesale prices but they still wouldn't cover them.  One Aussie interviewer (I had three job offers) said that five years ago they probably would have paid for me but now their economy was doing so well they didn't need Brits that much.

I'll be interested to see whether their view changes if and when their economy tanks.

41 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Bang on.

Met an Aussie at an event a couple years ago and on hearing I'd lived there she immediately assumed it was ok for her to start making homophobic slurs about the gay guys in the room. Their default setting is openly bigoted. 

TBH as the heat keeps ratcheting up the way it's going they'll be making asylum applications to Europe in 100 years, and it'll serve them right. 

I was in Oz for 3 months... Never felt entirely at ease... Undercurrent of racism and homophobia. Lack of culture. Surplus of killer creatures. No thank you.

2 hours ago, Will! said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000388w/australia-earths-magical-kingdom-series-1-1-land

It's "one of the most magical lands on the planet" I'll have you know.

DOI: They wouldn't let me in.

The natural landscape and wildlife are great (excluding the scorpions, blue-ringed octopus, snakes, cone snails, jellyfish, sharks, crocs, spiders etc). It's a real shame to see fish dying in the rivers and bats dropping dead from the heat. They're having to cull so many animals that are dying from lack of water as well. Almost as if a giant desert is no place to dump 26 million cows...

Next time just tell them you're a white South African farmer, you'll get a red carpet straight to Perth :D

Edited by PeanutButter

23 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

To be fair, I wouldn't say that is the "typical" view of Aussies, especially in the cities, but get out into the sticks and it is a different story. The aboriginal issue, as distinct from general racism, seems to be a massive blind spot for everyone though. Out of sight, out of mind and easier not to think about it too much seems to be the general approach.

I lived in Australia for a short time, a long time ago, but I still have a few contacts there. Australian society has been very accepting of immigrants, and recently almost all are from Asia. I understand that many white families are getting fed up with school classes almost entirely Chinese/Indian, and being priced out of their local property markets.

The particular problem issue with Aboriginals is that Australians have traditionally respected hard work and a can-do attitude. To be frank, most Aboriginals do not respect hard work and have little interest in building a reasonable society, but there are plenty of social activists using the Aboriginal cause to extract a lot of money from the Govt.