House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0q0

Why Is Fridge Short For Refrigerator When It Has No D In It

Looking at a well-known professional website and reading REFRIDGERATOR it suddenly struck me that the writer was logical in their error - if fridge is short for refrigerator, where's the d in refrigerator gone? Surely then it should be FRIGE? Or does that sound a bit lewd?!

Such trivia crosses my mind as I try to figure out ways of making £1 do the work of £5 these days. Sadly my mind has yet to come up with a solution to that, but it likes to wander off with lots of questions of its own.

I'd often wondered why radiators were near windows and heaters over doors in shops - but that was answered here recently on another thread.

I also wonder how long until this government have to resign, then I laugh and realise they won't give up the huge salaries lightly at all, unlike Japanese who fall on their sword when guilty or indeed if they just look guilty of misdeeds (although probably not always).

I also wonder if all yoghurt is in fact probiotic (containing good bacteria), else how could it be made? Surely if all yoghurt is kept chilled and sold in good condition then it must be probiotic even if it's just the 8p pots at some supermarkets? To be on the safe side, I stick to Yeo Valley myself just in case the others aren't!

Does Only For Males or whatever that hair colouring is called really colour some people's hair in 5 minutes in the shower??? Mine won't take colour unless left on for 45 minutes - which may not be a good idea for some scalps or allergies.

Why does tea taste nicer when brewed in a thoroughly cleaned cup or pot rather than one where you've had a few cups of tea but only rinsed it out?

Why do many men and women with light ginger or strawberry blonde hair have such naturally good physiques?!

Why do so many people not know how to turn right at a traffic light controlled junction or what signals to use on a roundabout?

Anyone else have any trivial ramblings or questions? Feel free to post.

Why do many men and women with light ginger or strawberry blonde hair have such naturally good physiques?!

I have never noticed that, I shall report back with my findings. :lol:

I have some hair issues.

I have wondered while getting older for those with male pattern baldness hair in other places seems to go into overdrive.

Out the ears, nose on the back, thats a bit weird.

I always wondered as well why my hair grows very quickly, then I read recently that is a common trait in ectomorphs.

Also to prevent grey hair occuring/worsening I have heard eating raw food is good (fruit ,veg and salads)

As for making money there are lots of problems waiting for a solution such as how to make a helicopter silent for military uses especially.

Last but not least- Why is there only one monopolies and mergers commission.

Rambling over.

The thing i don't get is that if your yoghurt isn't probiotic then it must be antibiotic , in which case it might be even better for you!!

Something that has always puzzled me is when you get to Leeds, the signs to the motorway say "North" and "South". But you're already in the "North".

Where is "toutes directions" in France?

You lost me , sometimes easy to do, but ............. you lost me.

where's the d in refrigerator gone? Surely then it should be FRIGE? Or does that sound a bit lewd?!

Same place the E went from PERAMBULATOR to PERAM to PRAM.

I also wonder if all yoghurt is in fact probiotic (containing good bacteria)

Yes it is. Bottled water is also the same as tap water. In fact, some bottled water IS tap water.

Why does tea taste nicer when brewed in a thoroughly cleaned cup or pot rather than one where you've had a few cups of tea but only rinsed it out?

Tannin/limescale buildup. Clean your dishes you filthy oik.

Because they're all gayers.

Why do so many people not know how to turn right at a traffic light controlled junction or what signals to use on a roundabout?

What's the point of learning something like that? Like learning how to do silver service. Nice to know but in the end, you've only learnt it because someone else has shown you how to do it.

Anyone else have any trivial ramblings or questions? Feel free to post.

No I don't now go and get out of your pyjamas, have a shave and get back to work you layabout.

(Isn't 'pyjamas' spelled funny?)

Something that has always puzzled me is when you get to Leeds, the signs to the motorway say "North" and "South". But you're already in the "North".

Where is "toutes directions" in France?

There are places north of Leeds you know ;)

I have never noticed that, I shall report back with my findings. :lol:

I have some hair issues.

I have wondered while getting older for those with male pattern baldness hair in other places seems to go into overdrive.

Out the ears, nose on the back, thats a bit weird.

I saw a chap on the Tube last week who had the most ear hair I have ever seen, it looked like a comedy stick on thing. Poor sod.

I always wondered as well why my hair grows very quickly, then I read recently that is a common trait in ectomorphs.

Also to prevent grey hair occuring/worsening I have heard eating raw food is good (fruit ,veg and salads)

As for making money there are lots of problems waiting for a solution such as how to make a helicopter silent for military uses especially.

Last but not least- Why is there only one monopolies and mergers commission.

Rambling over.

The thing i don't get is that if your yoghurt isn't probiotic then it must be antibiotic , in which case it might be even better for you!!

Apparently there has been lots of debate about what probiotic means, so not all yogs are, but unless treated with certain additives or stored badly then all yog is theoretically live with good bacteria inside it. In practice, much depends on storage, additives and thickeners.

Same place the E went from PERAMBULATOR to PERAM to PRAM.

Losing a letter to abbreviate does not hold the same significance as adding a letter to abbreviate. :P

Yes it is. Bottled water is also the same as tap water. In fact, some bottled water IS tap water.

Indeed, at the supermarket the obvious tap water has to be labelled as such or called Table Water.

Tannin/limescale buildup. Clean your dishes you filthy oik.

Yes, but why does that interfere with the taste? The brewing process has a reaction with something it already contains? We're talking a cup or pot that has not been washed for 2 or 3 refills, not days.

Because they're all gayers.

How'd you know that, big boy?

What's the point of learning something like that? Like learning how to do silver service. Nice to know but in the end, you've only learnt it because someone else has shown you how to do it.

It's not rocket science is it, it's easier to do it right than wrong!! :P

No I don't now go and get out of your pyjamas, have a shave and get back to work you layabout.

And why are pyjamas abbreviated to PJs ? Was the word originally py jamas, perhaps Latin for 'Look silly overnight in joke wear."

(Isn't 'pyjamas' spelled funny?)

Indeed, at the supermarket the obvious tap water has to be labelled as such or called Table Water.

Is it tap water or bottled water if you fill up from the water mains without using a tap?

Yes, but why does that interfere with the taste? The brewing process has a reaction with something it already contains? We're talking a cup or pot that has not been washed for 2 or 3 refills, not days.

Tannin is acidic.

How'd you know that, big boy?

Because I ask them.

It's not rocket science is it, it's easier to do it right than wrong!! :P

Exactly what a silver service waiter would say.

And why are pyjamas abbreviated to PJs ? Was the word originally py jamas, perhaps Latin for 'Look silly overnight in joke wear."

No, according to Webster's online dictionary, it's from Victorian dietary habits. They used a culinary vessel called a tump to eat pie and jam for supper (I imagine this is where we get fruit-glazed meat from too), and changed into pye-jams to prevent their daytime clothes getting messed up.

Now, witness how your logic tower crumbles to worthless dust as I stand over it laughing.

The first fridges were made by a company called Frigidaire, which may be where the 'd' comes from.

Could it not just be as simple as.... When you say Refrigerator, you actually say the word (Fridge) and being human we tend to shorten or shortcut anything and everything.

Is it tap water or bottled water if you fill up from the water mains without using a tap?

Tannin is acidic.

Because I ask them.

Exactly what a silver service waiter would say.

No, according to Webster's online dictionary, it's from Victorian dietary habits. They used a culinary vessel called a tump to eat pie and jam for supper (I imagine this is where we get fruit-glazed meat from too), and changed into pye-jams to prevent their daytime clothes getting messed up.

Now, witness how your logic tower crumbles to worthless dust as I stand over it laughing. :lol::lol:

Thanks for all the info!

name a plural noun that contains none of the letters of its singular!

Is that you, famous CGNAO? The very same one that warned us all of pretty much what we've got. I think it isn't, because the original CGNAO was around in 2007 if I remember rightly.

Anyway, thanks for the teaser!

Nice try, but I think not.