House Price Crash Forum
Frank Hovis

Rbs Effectively Nationalised Tomorrow

Oh dear. I know a lot of people who are going to lose a chunk of money over this!

Well they had enough warning! Anyone who was in banking shares over the last year+ must be completed insane.

Oh dear. I know a lot of people who are going to lose a chunk of money over this!

Indeed! I've personally told many of em' the same.... but the fookers never listen to advice do they :rolleyes:

Well they had enough warning! Anyone who was in banking shares over the last year+ must be completed insane.

Much worse than that. They were people who had watched the banks collapse and then the bailout. ONLY THEN did they buy RBS shares expecting them to bounce!!!

Much worse than that. They were people who had watched the banks collapse and then the bailout. ONLY THEN did they buy RBS shares expecting them to bounce!!!

would the auditors have signed off their accounts for year end?

incredible!!!!

Why didnt they go to Vegas and pour it in to one armed bandits? At least it's sunny there

Friend of mine bought a few £ks worth a while back, after they took an initial dip he was talking about buying more to lower his average price, I hope he didn't.

Friend of mine bought a few £ks worth a while back, after they took an initial dip he was talking about buying more to lower his average price, I hope he didn't.

If a bank is nationalised then are savings as safe as NS&I ?

RBS have a loan with Liverpool FC due

They rolled it a couple of weeks ago for a further 6 months.

Presumably they decided to gamble on them winning the league. :lol:

Royal Bank of Scotland could become 70% owned by the Government in an effective full nationalisation being thrashed out as part of the second bank bail-out package, it was reported.

Full nationalisation?

70% isn't full, what happens to the share holders?

Exactly mate.

Why would anyone buy gilts/bonds when you can get a better return for exactly the same security in a nationalised bank?

They are playing with fire here, both in the US and the UK.

The bond market is going to implode, just watch.

And what happens to "Essex FTB" who bought IIRC about £12K worth of their stocks last week?

Im pretty sure that was a wind-up. .....

?

And what happens to "Essex FTB" who bought IIRC about £12K worth of their stocks last week?

I don't know... Have been reading that in the other thread.

I mean either the gov buys the shares off the existing share holders or more shares are created devaluing the existing share holders.

Hope everything works out ok for him....

Edit - spelling

Edited by Ted

Good question, but the answer is no. Funds in NS&I are lent directly to the British government which has full liability to meet the payments. Whereas the nationalised banks are only owned by the government and so their liability to meet debts are exactly the same as any ordinary share holder i.e. limited to your investment.

In reality, the government is highly likely to meet any debts on RBS's books, but if a push comes to a shove, the safest investments are UK gilts and NS&I. Most likely to fall victim would be those who have RBS bonds issued prior to the collapse this year. The government could probably find some means to wriggle out of paying them back.

Edited to remove an erroneous negative

Edited by Ah-so

Im pretty sure that was a wind-up. .....

?

For his/her sake, then let us all hope so...it would be awful to spend £12K last week to have it reduced to f-all over night.

But like all those over-leveraged BTL "portfolios" in that respect, so let's spare a thought for them too - then again, let's not! :lol:

RBS have a loan with Liverpool FC due

Always were the most important club in the Country, they've just made it official.

Does this mean we have Crash on our Board? :(

Good question, but the answer is no. Funds in NS&I are lent directly to the British government which has full liability to meet the payments. Whereas the nationalised banks are only owned by the government and so their liability to meet debts are exactly the same as any ordinary share holder i.e. limited to your investment.

In reality, the government is highly likely to fail to meet any debts on RBS's books, but if a push comes to a shove, the safest investments are UK gilts and NS&I. Most likely to fall victim would be those who have RBS bonds issued prior to the collapse this year. The government could probably find some means to wriggle out of paying them back.

Interesting points - but could there come a time when, even though they are supposed to, the government cannot meet their liabilities on NS&I payments? Or would they be obliged to fire up the printing presses if they couldn't get the money? Just ask because it seems we are entering unchartered territories...