House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Fred Goodwin - E-petition

I thought I would raise an e-petition for having Fred Goodwin's knighthood revoked for causing economic damage to the country and taxpayer.

Was suprised to find (although shouldn't be I suppose) that the government require your name address and 'phone number to do this.

I decided against.

Where is the democracy and right to privacy in the govt. knowing who has raised a petition and voted in favour of it? :(

Where is the democracy and right to privacy in the govt. knowing who has raised a petition and voted in favour of it? :(

How do you expect a petition to have any credibility if signees don`t identify themseles - otherwise you get the same old suspects signing it `M.Mouse ` and the entire thing quickly becomes pointless.

I thought I would raise an e-petition for having Fred Goodwin's knighthood revoked for causing economic damage to the country and taxpayer.

Was suprised to find (although shouldn't be I suppose) that the government require your name address and 'phone number to do this.

I decided against.

More to the point, why would you be worried about giving you name, address and phone number? :lol:

Free speech (& money) to everyone!

How do you expect a petition to have any credibility if signees don`t identify themseles - otherwise you get the same old suspects signing it `M.Mouse ` and the entire thing quickly becomes pointless.

Because it has no legal validity.

It is simply an electronic straw poll. If 1million M Mouses signed it would still be a valid straw poll.

I understand your point for a "real" election, but if it's ok with you I'd rather not have my personal details attached to anything Gordon can pin against me. It's there in perpetuity remember.

I decided against.

A damn fine action that would have been sire, I was toying with the idea of starting one on facebook, but then came across the same stumbling block, by the time i'd have asked those on HPC to join to put some wind in it's sails i'd have identified myself (I'm not bothered about the nutters on here, more my employer taking a dim view)

Two points: Firstly, it was those good men, the Chartists, who were prepared to put their names and identities to their demands for constitutional change who rocked Parliament to its core. In other words, you have to have the courage of your convictions. Secondly, I wholly support your idea of putting those people who are honoured by Knighthoods and Peerages under scrutiny. Their honours are often very financially valuable to them (why else do we have cash for honours scandals). Also, it gives them leverage towards securing public appointments. I will name Sir Drummond Bone and Sir Malcom Williamson for starters as people whose entitlement to honours should be put to the test of public opinion.

I decided against.

so in reality, your admitting you were too scared to oppose it and dare not provide your address ?

They want your name address and phone number so they can send heavies around to give you a kicking if your poll or petition actually comes to something...

Much like the Nazis went to get census data when they invaded Holland and other countries , when labour get back in they will send people round to 'teach you the error of your ways'...

Much like the fuel protestors hauliers leader had heavies go round to his house and threaten him with a hill walking accident...

so in reality, your admitting you were too scared to oppose it and dare not provide your address ?

I decided, on balace, that putting my name (and address) publicly to a call for a man to be stripped of his knighthood, when said man lent £2.5billion to a Russian Oligarch which has been written off, when such would stay on the public record in perpetuity, was probably not in my personal interest. "Scared?" possibly. Who wants to end up in a car crash, collapse on a hill walk, or be visited in the middle of the night by "bailiffs"? I don't trust that we're not all considered to be political terrorists now I'm afraid. If that's "scared" then yes I probably am.

Two points: Firstly, it was those good men, the Chartists, who were prepared to put their names and identities to their demands for constitutional change who rocked Parliament to its core. In other words, you have to have the courage of your convictions. Secondly, I wholly support your idea of putting those people who are honoured by Knighthoods and Peerages under scrutiny. Their honours are often very financially valuable to them (why else do we have cash for honours scandals). Also, it gives them leverage towards securing public appointments. I will name Sir Drummond Bone and Sir Malcom Williamson for starters as people whose entitlement to honours should be put to the test of public opinion.

+1

Grow a pair man.

You think they cannot identify you from your postings on this and other internet forums and your IP address? If Gordon Brown sets up death camps and wants people like you in them then his cronies will be able to find you. The only question is whether you'll give up meekly or fight for your beliefs. They are only men, made of flesh and blood like you. If you are too scared to give your name on an on-line petition they really they've already won. You might as well just become Gordon's bum boy now.

The common man's lot was never improved by cowards too afraid to give their names.

+1

Grow a pair man.

You think they cannot identify you from your postings on this and other internet forums and your IP address? If Gordon Brown sets up death camps and wants people like you in them then his cronies will be able to find you. The only question is whether you'll give up meekly or fight for your beliefs. They are only men, made of flesh and blood like you. If you are two scared to give your name on a petition they really they've already won. You might as well just become Gordon's bum boy now.

The common man's lot was never improved by cowards too afraid to give their names.

Just call me Mr Meek, no 6 Meek Road, Meekly, Meekshire. D'oh!

Don't let it stop you though. ;)

Mr. Weak more like it.

Well I didn't expect the thread to turn into an ad hominem, but if that's what you think, that's up to you. Doesn't bother me particularly what you think.

Mods - Feel free to delete the thread or move it off-topic would you. These sort of attacks tend to end in tears. Ta.

More to the point, why would you be worried about giving you name, address and phone number? :lol:

Free speech (& money) to everyone!

What if you don't have a phone number? Do we no longer count as citizens if we don't have a phone and pay a phone company?

What if you don't have a phone number? Do we no longer count as citizens if we don't have a phone and pay a phone company?

I think you can be a citizen without a phone. You just have to pay tax....... and be quiet........ Just suck on the teat that is the government. *suck* *breath* *suck*

You can't live in the UK and not have a T.V. license though. It's impossible, I spoke to the man, who sent me a letter at work demanding payment for it. Weird, He had my name, knew where I worked but not my home address or mobile number (I don't have a phone line, I get my broadband from the flat two floors down!).

So I would be more worried about giving my T.V. license number out rather than my mobile number. ;)