House Price Crash Forum
copydude

Are We Seeing The First Dead Shoots Of The Olympics

Reported here earlier was the demise of sponsor Nortel which, inexplicably, is confirming its commitment to the 2012 Olympics while declaring bankruptcy. Yeah right.

Following this, retailer B&Q has also pulled sponsorship, citing the brownturn.

Among the diminishing short list of remaining major sponsors are 'technically insolvent' Lloyds TSB

Simon Hart writes in the Telegraph:

The biggest whopper of all, you might think, was estimating the Olympic budget to be £2.4 billion instead of the current grand total of £9.3 billion.

Actually, that little bit of creative accountancy gets no mention in the bid book, which was concerned solely with the more stable cost of running the Games and not the spiralling construction, infrastructure and security costs. Off the hook on that one.

But the bid book did trumpet the public-private partnerships that would build venues such as the Olympic village, leaving a legacy of 3,600 housing units, and the print and broadcast media centre that would later become a hub for "creative media industries and local entrepreneurs".

Two and half years on, the private investment has failed to materialise, the number of units in the village has been slashed to 2,800, the idea of a creative hub has long been abandoned and the media centre could well end up as a flat-pack temporary venue.

This has not deterred Gordon from currently spinning that the Olympics is a jobs boost to the economy, in spite of the original 2002 cabinet document that it would bring no economic benefit whatsoever.

A 250-page official document warned when the London bid succeeded that the main motivation for the 16-day event should be 'national celebration' because the 'economic rationale is weak'.

There's now a worry that underfunded ancillary services won't be able to cope, like emergency service networks.

The last point is worrying and such shortcomings could turn the games into a national disaster. Local MPs are also worried about the TV cameras of the world focusing on people sleeping rough in London. That was a big feature of the 90s recession.

Is it time to call it a day?

They should have not chosen Stratford as the venue

White Elephant and Castle would have been appropriate.

Will the 2012 olympics even go ahead at all

According to David Icke, even 2012 itself is in doubt.

Guest sillybear2

Can't we just put it back two years, like the government are doing with those aircraft carriers?

You lot don't have to go past it on the train to Liverpool Street. Excited passengers waiting to grab a look then laughing at how small scale the stadium appears compared to the Chinese birds nest. Hopefully on telly it will appear bigger with some CGI work. Hoping I can change my nationality by 2012, to what I don't care, but I'm not owning up to be be British in 2012!

You lot don't have to go past it on the train to Liverpool Street. Excited passengers waiting to grab a look then laughing at how small scale the stadium appears compared to the Chinese birds nest. Hopefully on telly it will appear bigger with some CGI work. Hoping I can change my nationality by 2012, to what I don't care, but I'm not owning up to be be British in 2012!

the car park looks bigger.

and the speed of works is astonishingly slow, they were erecting a frame as I passed in the morning, and theyd attached what looked like 2 cross members as I passed on the way home.

Can't we sell it on to some unsuspecting nation?

Our banks should be good at that. Knowing our lot though they will buy something as equally as expensive in return.

The stadium looks so small I'd amazed if there is enough room for all the free-loaders?

the car park looks bigger.

and the speed of works is astonishingly slow, they were erecting a frame as I passed in the morning, and theyd attached what looked like 2 cross members as I passed on the way home.

Come now, they have taken down a pylon!

Come now, they have taken down a pylon!

I thought that was the high jump built to the wrong scale.

Perhaps a number of new events could be introduced to add topical interest....

Suggestions:

The Benny five 'o' canoeing event...no running water required.

The Currency 100 meters...chancellors pushing a wheelbarrow load of currency.

and so on.

Guest sillybear2
Still im sure some nobody will get knighted for winning some non-event.

Too late. Sebastian Coe was knighted for winning us the Olympic games.

We should do a deal with Greece ( the real Home of the Olympics ) whereby they dust off all the facilities they built 6 years ago and hold it there again. A bit humbling for the UK, yes, but better that than international humiliation when it all goes tits up.

We have been told that we are having a huge party, to which you probably will not be invited, may not even have an interest in, but for which you will be required to pay. And pay some more. Do not bother protesting that you are not very interested , and we cannot afford it. You will just be shouted down by the zealots for running, jumping and throwing things.

It reminds me of the giant R101 airship which was commissioned by the labour government in the 1930's. The project become ever larger, more bloated, more expensive, held up as a symbol of the age, a tribute to the greatness of those who created her. Engineers closest to the project knew it had terrible problems, it was too heavy, the fabric envelope was disentegrating, but such was the high profile prestige of the project, that it could not be delayed. It HAD to fly to India with Lord Thompson and his triumphant arrival had to go ahead on schedule.

A Certificate of Airworthiness was conjured up hours before departure, and it set off . Hours later it was broken and burning on a French hillside, having become uncontrollable in flight. 48 people died. The project had become so high profile, and carried with it the reputation and prestige of so many people there was just no way of stopping it.

Is there any way of stopping the runaway Olympic juggernaut ?

Guest sillybear2
We should do a deal with Greece ( the real Home of the Olympics ) whereby they dust off all the facilities they built 6 years ago and hold it there again. A bit humbling for the UK, yes, but better that than international humiliation when it all goes tits up.

The Greek Olympic site is now derelict and full of pikies, so totally unlike the abandoned wastelands of East London.

Edited by sillybear2

(SNIP)

Is there any way of stopping the runaway Olympic juggernaut ?

Maybe UK PLC should lead the way, forget all the National Prestige stuff and just say....fook, we can't afford it so lets ''do the right thing'' and possibly have 'China revisited, Beijing 2012...the prudent Olympics...how cool are we?', or as you say dust off some other existing Olympic facility...

It would be so easy to present the whole thing as innovative, resourceful and possibly even environmentally friendly, 'UK responding to the Global downturn la de da'...

I was against them all the time but now that we have it we must see it through. I'd do a "build nothing" austerity games that tells the World we have not completely lost our minds yet.

Obviously this requires Crash to be gone as the message will lack credibility otherwise.

I was against them all the time but now that we have it we must see it through. I'd do a "build nothing" austerity games that tells the World we have not completely lost our minds yet.

Obviously this requires Crash to be gone as the message will lack credibility otherwise.

With some senior bankers and hedge fund managers turned into human torces as part of the opening ceremony. :ph34r:

I wondered about giving the Games to Iceland.

It would help to restore relations with our NATO allies, whom we accidentally branded as terrorists.

At this time, Iceland would benefit from the prestige, tourism and jobs boost.

And since the Icelanders are hopeless at math, the idea of spending 9.3 billion on 16 days shouldn't phase them.

Sorted. Whalemeat sandwiches all round.