House Price Crash Forum

North Korea To 'wipe Out' South Korea

bendy

HOLA441

link

North Korea's army said on Saturday it would assume an "all-out confrontational posture" against the South and wipe out the conservative government in Seoul for refusing to cooperate with them. Skip related content

Ties across the heavily-armed border between the two Koreas have turned icy since President Lee Myung-bak came to office last year on a promise to get tough on his communist neighbour after 10 years of liberal leaders' efforts to engage Pyongyang.

"Now that traitor Lee Myung Bak and his group opted for confrontation, denying national reconciliation and cooperation, backed by foreign forces, our revolutionary armed forces are compelled to take an all-out confrontational posture to shatter them," the North's army spokesman said.

The spokesman said Lee and his "puppet military warhawks" have driven "our revolutionary armed forces to take a strong military retaliatory step to wipe them out," in comments carried by the official KCNA news agency.

South Korea's defence ministry did not immediately have comment.

A North Korean soldier shot dead a South Korean woman in a tourist enclave run by a Hyundai conglomerate affiliate in July and North Korea all but froze border crossings since December, blaming Lee for dragging Korean relations to a dangerous low.

The North has also been angered by a cut in aid that poured in from the wealthy South. It has threatened to reduce its neighbour to ashes, but there has not been a major military clash since naval skirmishes killed dozens of sailors on both sides in 2002.

The army spokesman, appearing in full uniform on North Korea's state television, said provocations by the South's military including naval intrusions have cross the "danger line" and it could "no longer remain an onlooker to them."

seems to me like the threats and chances of international wars are growing by the day. one thing for sure is that all this will make houses cheaper while trying to get economies out of recession.

i wonder who is signing up to the war agreements and exactly whether previous wars were staged to stop financial armageddon (e.g. WW2).

HOLA442
Guest theboltonfury
link

seems to me like the threats and chances of international wars are growing by the day. one thing for sure is that all this will make houses cheaper while trying to get economies out of recession.

i wonder who is signing up to the war agreements and exactly whether previous wars were staged to stop financial armageddon (e.g. WW2).

G Depression = World War

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Is this not a complete hollow threat?

N.Korea is destitute. It has been receiving food aid for god sake.

Yes, they are destitute. That's why a second Korean war is all but inevitable. Slow starvation or an influx of resources from a conquered neighbour? That's the choice no doubt floating in his tiny, crazy head at the moment. Don't forget that the reason the country is so poor is that they are maintaining a ludicrously huge army.

HOLA449

fair point but not a hollow threat as they do have a army of sh!tkickers ready to go...so...

Send in Hans Brix, he'll sort it out.

FUK you hannns briicks... ;)

HOLA4410
Guest LongBlackKilt
Well, N.Korea is part of the 'Axis of evil'.

Strange Axis, two countries that have been arch enemies for decades (Iran & Iraq) & another one that has nothing to do with them. Striking a great contrast to the alliance of evil, of course.

It might be more profitable to consider which states are part of the Axis of Doom. USA, UK, Iran, Israel, China, Russia, Australia, Ireland, Spain, North Korea for starters. But I'm open to other suggestions.

HOLA4411
Is this not a complete hollow threat? N.Korea is destitute. It has been receiving food aid for god sake.

That in itself is no reason why they wouldn't do something stupid. But NK gets that food aid principally from China, and for that reason Kim Jong Il does what Hu Jintao tells him to. Perpetrating a nuclear holocaust in East Asia would sodomise the Chinese economy even more than the western banks going pop have indirectly sodomised it already, and for that reason I don't think we'll be getting anything more than theatrical rhetoric from the North Koreans in the foreseeable future.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Not 100% hollow, as I read an article somewhere that North Korea has over 1000 large stationary artillery pieces and 13000 mobile large calibre artillery pieces aimed at Seoul , they each get one shot off and there are mass casulties in Seoul , they manage to fire for 5 minutes and you get 10,000s of korean casulties. Since it will take an hour or two to Scramble airsupport or counter artillery fire they'll have free reign to fire for hours. And even when the air support arrives there are so many of them that they get to fire for days before being taken out.

Although the US counter strike would be fast in coming and would repell any invading force easily not forgetting that many would rush across the border and defect anyway..... they can do some damage.

So they aren't entirely toothless.

Although NK would be very quickly defeated its sabre rattling.

HOLA4414
Yes, they are destitute. That's why a second Korean war is all but inevitable. Slow starvation or an influx of resources from a conquered neighbour? That's the choice no doubt floating in his tiny, crazy head at the moment. Don't forget that the reason the country is so poor is that they are maintaining a ludicrously huge army.

Not that huge :blink:

New Recruit Weighing Less than 43kg Can Serve in the Army

In this spring, North Korean military authorities accepted recruits under the height of 148 centimeters and 43 kilograms in weight.

The health condition of recruits was not so sound, so the authorities urged girl students to volunteer for the army. In March, an internal instruction that women who had not served the army could not be appointed as high officials was notified.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

This is all just talk. As long as Kim remains in charge he is hardly going to jepordise his life of unalloyed luxury by starting what would inevitably an extremely bloody and destructive war. When he goes, then it gets more dicey, but hopefully there will be an orderly sucession that will keep cool heads in charge.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Bah Kim has been dead for years if not decades, they keep recycling (the military) old photos and film footage to give the illusion he is still alive and thus the military types who hold the power keep the personality cult alive and get to keep their relatively privilaged compared to the rest of the population's life styles.

HOLA4420
Don't the US police the N/S border? If it all kicks off, the US are going to have to get involved and that's not going to be cheap is it?

Anyone think deficit spending is coming down?

I think they're under treaty to protect South Korea in the event of an attack, just like they have to protect Taiwan too.

HOLA4421
Not 100% hollow, as I read an article somewhere that North Korea has over 1000 large stationary artillery pieces and 13000 mobile large calibre artillery pieces aimed at Seoul , they each get one shot off and there are mass casulties in Seoul , they manage to fire for 5 minutes and you get 10,000s of korean casulties. Since it will take an hour or two to Scramble airsupport or counter artillery fire they'll have free reign to fire for hours. And even when the air support arrives there are so many of them that they get to fire for days before being taken out.

Although the US counter strike would be fast in coming and would repell any invading force easily not forgetting that many would rush across the border and defect anyway..... they can do some damage.

I am sure that the South is more than capable of defending itself even without the help of the American. When I have been in Korea it is clearly a country permanently on a war footing - the standing army is over 600,000 strong and has one of the largest defence budgets in the world.

The North's stationary artillery will no doubt be destroyed within minutes of an attack. Whatever South Korea's military response plan to Northern attack, at the top will be the immediate launch of all the missiles that are no doubt pointing at the North's military targets.

Air support would be up in a few minutes, not hours, because attack is expected and planned for. There is a reason they have over 600 fighter jets.

You are right about the damage the North could do with an initial surprise strike, but that would be it. Lobbing missiles into the South's residential areas would bring about the end of North Korea and liberation for its people.

HOLA4422

I'm an ex pat living in Seoul and this tread is scaring the hell out of me. The USA has an army base in the centre of Seoul. If North Korea bombed Seoul they would have to deal with the US. Tit of tat skermishes - fair enough, but if they attacked the capital they would be stepping up and might end up getting nuked. Trouble is the NK army would fight on as they are all brainwashed nutters.

HOLA4423

When I was in Seoul a few years back (running a chemical bomb disposal course for the US military there) I noticed that the locals have regular air-raid drills, where they all go into bunkers. It's really eerie to see the streets empty like that.

Also, they had just uncovered 2 tunnels running under the DMZ from North to South that apparently were so large that the North could move a whole Division of troops through in 30 mins (assuming vehicles don't break down etc,.)

I do however think that the South would be able to defend itself esp with the back up of US air power. However it would be much more difficult to invaide the North as it is so under-developed, v woody/jungle and any advantage of air/technology is almost mitigated by this.........back to soldiers with rifles and bayonets fighting it out in the jungle. :blink:

HOLA4424

The big issue everybody is missing though is that it isn't the North Koreans you have to worry about its Beijing , in that it may descend into a proxy war between the US and China pretty much like the original 1950s Korean war..

In that North Korea in the 1950s would have been defeated in months if the Chinese / Russian (air force) forces hadn't effectively given them entire armies and weapons. In the 1950s UN forces couldn't stop millions of Chinese infantry rushing across the border even though the Chinese armies were lightly armed.

The UN forces had battleships , artillery , tanks and air support

Think about it..... China's growth is collasping.... you are going to have 100,000s if not millions of angry young men who are job less........ in a desparate bid to cling onto power if the Chinese economy collaspes they may instigate a war.

And thus the US might not have the stomach to open a 3rd war/front, my dad has always speculated that if China were to take Taiwan US carriers would turn back.