House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

worzel

Political Compass

There seem to be a lot of posters recently that seem to have strong political affiliations but dont actually state what they are. With this in mind, I thought it would be interesting to see where posters sit on the

Political Compass and if they would be so brave as to declare affiliations.

I just did the test and my results were as follows;

Economic Left/Right: -0.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

The exact result will depend on you mood at the time, but should give a reasonable indication.

I have no political affiliations and really have not got a clue who I will vote for at the next election, and dont really think we live in a true democracy.

Diificult to run this one as a pole as there are two axes, so if anyone fancies doing the test or has already done it and posting the result we could have an HPC graph of them once the results are in.

I know this is probably off topic, but since a lot of other things seem to be, I thought I'd put this one in the main room since not many people seem to browse the other.

I tried to take the test but the questions were so loaded* it was impossible for me to answer them.

*in a pro-statist way

I agree they are loaded, but thought it may be of interest anyway. If anyone knows a better one, please do put it up. I suppose its difficult to devise a truly impartial one.

edited to add - feel like declaring any affiliations?

Guest absolutezero

Not too sure about the scientificness of that but I am:

Economic Left/Right: -4.62

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

Something like the Dalai Lama....

Affiliations anyone?

As in voting/party affiliations? Used to be conservative, now independant, as I see little difference between camerons tories and labour. I find the more libertarian wing of the lib dems interesting, but they still have an identity crisis.

I'd personally identify as being fairly right of centre economically, and fairly libertarian socially.

Well that was interesting....just completed the test. I've always thought of myself as just an average, boring, middle of the road Green'ish Sheeple averse to the extremes of the Labour and the Conservative Partys. It appears I've been placed in the same quadrant as the Dalai Lama...which is good in my eyes. :)

Results:

Economic L/R: -6.88

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

There seem to be a lot of posters recently that seem to have strong political affiliations but dont actually state what they are. With this in mind, I thought it would be interesting to see where posters sit on the

Political Compass and if they would be so brave as to declare affiliations.

I just did the test and my results were as follows;

Economic Left/Right: -0.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

The exact result will depend on you mood at the time, but should give a reasonable indication.

I have no political affiliations and really have not got a clue who I will vote for at the next election, and dont really think we live in a true democracy.

Diificult to run this one as a pole as there are two axes, so if anyone fancies doing the test or has already done it and posting the result we could have an HPC graph of them once the results are in.

I know this is probably off topic, but since a lot of other things seem to be, I thought I'd put this one in the main room since not many people seem to browse the other.

A) I have to say that I disagree that some of these questions can even be answered without 'no opinion' although 'redundant concept' would be far more useful. eg. "First-generation immigrants can never be fully integrated within their new country" is an example. I mean to say. What the hops does this mean really? How am I suppose to agree or disagree? Some First-generation immigrants totally intergrate into their local environment and are loved and respected and happy and pass their genes to enrich the local gene pool, some don't and can ever fully integrate because their personal attributes don't allow them to get past their prior cultural context - its about the individual in an interaction with a local context, not the idea of society

B Heavily reliant on the notion of the nation state as a given identification (in some people's minds it is a set of paperwork - I have personally sworn allegiance to the corgies so I can live in france if I need or want to)

I don't really believe that you don't have a clear idea of how you are aligned because of you manifesto about 3 days ago but anyway, I will take it on spec.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69

Strange since I am an ethical free marketeer, and genuinely believe in competition, and some of my colleagues in the hallowed halls of local government hate me for my private sector expectations, and refusal to buddy up in relationships that get far too close and therefore allow a lack of delivery of anything but well understood constantly made by people who are 'partners', and rather expect that suppliers should actually deliver something. This is the problem with these sorts of things. They build in the researcher bias (see comments above)

Basically I am an anarchist.

EDIT:

Not too sure about the scientificness of that but I am:

Economic Left/Right: -4.62

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

Something like the Dalai Lama....

Yeah I got somewhere between Gandi and Dalai Lama as well.

Affiliations anyone?

Nope, sorry, IMO all political parties have morphed into one incomprehensible, ineffectual and vacuous parasitic amoeba which does not warrant any confidence or support.

Most of the questions are pretty unanswerable as they assume a great shared worldview with the author. I don't think like that at all.

I think that was the point I was trying to make too - but you are so much more sussinct Durch!

Obviously whoever did this never got beyond structural theory to discover the paradigm. Suggest reading Foucault. Its very old style left/right libertarian/authoritarian in a way that we used to think in the late 70s. It dresses up the shift from 2 dimensional to 3 dimensional conceptualisation as a recent leap forward in thinking but actually the leap to the 4th dimension was made in the 70s and early 80s and seeped out of intellectual circles into general understanding from the early 80s onward. That is the historian speaking.

I think that was the point I was trying to make too - but you are so much more sussinct Durch!

Obviously whoever did this never got beyond structural theory to discover the paradigm. Suggest reading Foucault. Its very old style left/right libertarian/authoritarian in a way that we used to think in the late 70s. It dresses up the shift from 2 dimensional to 3 dimensional conceptualisation as a recent leap forward in thinking but actually the leap to the 4th dimension was made in the 70s and early 80s and seeped out of intellectual circles into general understanding from the early 80s onward. That is the historian speaking.

I could not agree more, Michel Foucault..what a guy.

Me and the Mahatma, like that mate! Apparently I'm not quite as much of a lefty but I am more liberal supposedly, although as some others have said the questions are loaded and at least a couple are fundamentally flawed.

wow. i thought that i'd become fairly right wing in my old age but it turns out that i am sharing my space on the political compass with Mandela, Ghandi and the Greens. Not sure that any of them would work in advertising.