House Price Crash Forum

Wise Words

HOLA441

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.'

Translation of words uttered by Cicero in 55BC

Clearly we will never learn from past mistakes.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest theboltonfury
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.'

Yes, but did say that as he was enjoying a state sponsored orgy / banquet whilst the plebs built him another palace?

HOLA444
Guest mattsta1964

I posted this very same quotation on HPC myself just a week or so ago

Unfortunately, it seems Cicero never said this and I can't verify that this is a true quotation.

That said, there ars some fantastic quotations attributed to Cicero

HOLA445
HOLA446
I posted this very same quotation on HPC myself just a week or so ago

Unfortunately, it seems Cicero never said this and I can't verify that this is a true quotation.

That said, there ars some fantastic quotations attributed to Cicero

Try snopeshttp://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=28532

HOLA447
Actually, he was a bit of a prude - check out his Cataline Orations if you fancy a spot of bedtime reading.

The above post is misleading. It clearly suggests Cicero was a prude and then suggests some bedtime reading.

A casual observer is likely to assume that such 'bedtime reading' is most likey to be the opposite of Cicero's prudence and something more salacious of Roman sexual activity at the time - orgyies, fetishism, all kinds of kink.

Alas, it is just Cicero's speeches which are dry, dull and boring and certainly not good bedtime reading.

You should not read in bed nor watch TV nor listen to the radio nor play video games. Actually, the bedroom should be kept for two things and two things only - sleeping and sex.

HOLA448
Guest theboltonfury
The above post is misleading. It clearly suggests Cicero was a prude and then suggests some bedtime reading.

A casual observer is likely to assume that such 'bedtime reading' is most likey to be the opposite of Cicero's prudence and something more salacious of Roman sexual activity at the time - orgyies, fetishism, all kinds of kink.

Alas, it is just Cicero's speeches which are dry, dull and boring and certainly not good bedtime reading.

You should not read in bed nor watch TV nor listen to the radio nor play video games. Actually, the bedroom should be kept for two things and two things only - sleeping and sex.

I'm not sure she was being that serious. Telly in bed - no, reading in bed - yes

Besides, I bet that regardless of speeches, Cicero loved a good session of 5 nubile young slavettes at once

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415