House Price Crash Forum

The Weekend Car Thread

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I'll try and get all the relevant bits into this first post, so apologies if "too much information".

Starting point is:

I have got up to £28k to spend from cashing in my premium bonds due to the interest rate falls. As there is no obvious home for that money then buying a decent car looks like a good way of enjoying it. I have previously driven Fords & Vauxhalls and, whilst perfectly satisfied with them, fancy something a bit different this time.

What I am trying to get is a shortlist of half a dozen cars to look at in the £12k - £28k bracket. I'm after a good value quality car, not worried whether it's new or used. Open minded as to the type (sports, 4x4, saloon). And as my car history suggests I'm not worried about the badge on the front.

I was looking to get a Defender last year but the advice from this forum was that it wasn't a good idea, so that's off the list. Saved me wasting £18k!

Criteria:

I drive 200 - 300 miles a week, mainly A roads. No very short trips. Occasional long motorway trips. Some narrow lanes so I can't have anything too big.

Not too worried about running costs, but nothing astronomical like an old Ferrari or really obscure that I will struggle to find parts for. And whilst fuel economy isn't a big deal once it starts heading down much below 20 mpg that's a bit strong for me.

Not that bothered about big luggage space, and two seats would be fine.

I'm 6'1" which would make a 911 or an Elise uncomfortable to drive.

I'm really after a car I will enjoy driving, enjoy looking at, but won't bring a lot of grief along with it. Suggestions please!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

How about a Lexus IS220d? It's got a bit of class without being overly ostentatious, excellent spec, and pretty good fuel economy. 15k should get you a pretty newish one where someone else has paid the VAT and taken the big depreciation hit.

Or alternatively, shove it back in the bank and stop doing what Gordon wants you to do...

HOLA443
HOLA444

Just because you have the dosh do not feel compelled to spend it all. Get plenty of bangs for your bucks and keep some money back for opportunities (they should be coming along in these turbulent times). Being of a certain age and too poor to indulge myself before, when some cash came my way three years ago I bought a Mazda MX5. I got a low mileage, older Mk2. It has been very good. Fun but not frightening, remarkably cheap to run. The downside is a boot like your back pocket. But nice, very and probably depreciated very little over the period - until now anyway.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Sporty: Nissan 350Z

Sensible: Top of the range Skoda Superb (new model just come out with 3.6 litre engine and 4x4. If wanting to save a few pounds I would look at the old model 2.5TDi one.

4x4: Would look at Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol or Pathfinder. You could negotiate hard and get 10% asking price as nobody wants large 4x4's now.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
bmw 330d, having driven almost every car under the sun this one really stood out to me. i was amazed at how it handled felt cornered even was pretty quick. should be loads kicking about.

I forgot about the BMW 330D. A colleague has a 2005 one. Plus point is the engine is amazing - quiet (for a diesel) and pulls like a train and still gives around 40MPG. Bad point is it doesn't have many extras as standard.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
bmw 330d, having driven almost every car under the sun this one really stood out to me. i was amazed at how it handled felt cornered even was pretty quick. should be loads kicking about.

nice cars but nowhere near the quality of a Porsche - you can EASILY get a 2 year old cayman or boxster for less than £28k and then you could spend the rest on the women you pick up with the car

HOLA4415

I am a bit taller. The Elise is a squeeze but the 996s and 997s actually quite comfortable. The offset pedals in the 993 made an already uncomfortable situation worse.

What about an Audi S4 ??

HOLA4416
nice cars but nowhere near the quality of a Porsche - you can EASILY get a 2 year old cayman or boxster for less than £28k and then you could spend the rest on the women you pick up with the car

Just a bit too tight for anyone over 6' .... Otherwise perfect ..... A Cayman is a better car to drive than a 911 .... Some say that it shouts " I can't afford a 911" ... I say that it shouts "This is a better car to drive than a 911 and I couldn't care less what you think about me for not having a more powerful and expensive but otherwise inferior 911" ......

HOLA4417

Don't you mean men?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm really after a car I will enjoy driving, enjoy looking at, but won't bring a lot of grief along with it. Suggestions please!

I just noticed that post #993 for you is in this thread. The 993 is the ultimate 911 model according to some Porsche people. Cute or co-incidence?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

there's plenty of room in boxsters and 911s for a big feller. your budget would get you a fabulous low mileage 911 - 996/997 with all the bells, and i am jealous.

there isn't any other car on the list, for me

Archived