House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

"the" Story Of 2009--and So Early In The Year

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Trichet Vision Unravels as Italy, Spain Debt Shunned (Update1)

Email | Print | A A A

By Emma Ross-Thomas

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet’s vision of economies converging behind the shield of a shared currency may be unraveling.

Someone ( ;) )on HPC.co said more than a year ago, maybe 2 years ago, that the Euro was doomed due to imbalances and resurgent nationalism that would be ushered in with a full blown depression.

I'll say it again: DO NOT invest too much in Euros--stay clear of them.

Edited by Realistbear

Email | Print | A A A

By Emma Ross-Thomas

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet’s vision of economies converging behind the shield of a shared currency may be unraveling.

Someone ( ;) )on HPC.co said more than a year ago, maybe 2 years ago, that the Euro was doomed due to imbalances and resurgent nationalism that would be ushered in with a full blown depression.

Are you still in US Dollars ? Whats you prognosis for the dollar this coming year?

Email | Print | A A A

By Emma Ross-Thomas

Indeed so true this will be some show which is just starting now.

The political and financial can't be balanced in the euro zone.

The tensions are akin to young unemployed adults living with mum and dad (who have just lost their jobs) still expecting hand out's to pay for a night on the pi$$.

its going to get ugly.

Are you still in US Dollars ? Whats you prognosis for the dollar this coming year?

I brought over some $ to the UK in the high 1.40s a few weeks ago to have a sizeable downpayment on a house, maybe in 2010 if they are near the floor by then (at least 60% down from peak). I went by what Bill Gross (PIMCO bond fund--biggest in the world) advised concerning CABLE--the pound would move in a narrow range verses the $ for the long haul. I see a huge downside risk for the Euro as the shinola is yet to hit them as hard as the US, Ireland, and ourselves.

I am still mostly in $ and will probably remain diversified that way for the long term. IMO sterling is a safer bet than the Euro as we do not face the imbalances and problems nationalism will bring when things get rough on the continent.

IMO, CABLE is going to remain in the 1.45-55 range long term. I can see the Euro dropping to parity with the US $ and the Pound picking up to around 1.30 plus by the end of the 2nd Q this year. But its all gut instinct because currencies are the most unpredictable of all bets.

I am still mostly in $ and will probably remain diversified that way for the long term. IMO sterling is a safer bet than the Euro as we do not face the imbalances and problems nationalism will bring when things get rough on the continent.

Time to buy some Hugo Boss shares?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss

The all-black uniform of the Nazi Schutzstaffel paramilitary force from 1932 until 1945 was designed by SS-Oberführer Prof. Dr. Karl Diebitsch and Walter Heck (graphic designer) and made by the Hugo Boss company, some workers being prisoners of war forced into labor.

In the third quarter of 1933, Hugo Boss, the founder of clothing company, designed black uniforms for Heinrich Himmler's SS, to replace the SA brown shirts. He also designed the Hitler Youth uniforms

Edited by The Masked Tulip

IMO, CABLE is going to remain in the 1.45-55 range long term. I can see the Euro dropping to parity with the US $ and the Pound picking up to around 1.30 plus by the end of the 2nd Q this year. But its all gut instinct because currencies are the most unpredictable of all bets.

But surely if there is dollar-euro parity and the euro e/r = 1.30, then the pound will also be worth $1.30?

I would LOVE dollar-euro parity (for my own financial reasons), but I think it will be a long long road - and "it is a long road that has many turnings"... Because I am an eternal pessimist, I think the euro might be a bit sticky downwards and will spend a long time in the $1.25 to $1.32 range. Hopefully a nice Irish crash or Spanish meltdown will speed things up a bit. As for sterling, all I see is bear traps!

Email | Print | A A A

By Emma Ross-Thomas

Just about to start a 12mth contract, salary negotiated in euros, but thinking of changing to $ after reading this...

Just about to start a 12mth contract, salary negotiated in euros, but thinking of changing to $ after reading this...

All countries are in trouble mate.... wouldn't worry too much.

Currency traders just ride the wave.

The tensions are akin to young unemployed adults living with mum and dad (who have just lost their jobs) still expecting hand out's to pay for a night on the pi$$.

its going to get ugly.

One at college and one giving up a public sector job(!) to go travelling.

Thanks for reminding me

What currency will your costs be denominated in?

You could come a real cropper if you choose to be paid in something different, and it tanks.

:lol::lol::lol: great analogy.

Fully agree, the Euro is still vastly overvalued - but not for long.

The Eurozone SHTF clock is ticking...

What currency will your costs be denominated in?

You could come a real cropper if you choose to be paid in something different, and it tanks.

No living costs as such, but long term plan to return to UK. Wasn't sure it was a good idea to be paid in sterling though, read alot of posts on here that put me off the idea!