House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Honda To Shut Down Until The Summer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...-continues.html

Honda halts production for another two months as car misery continues

Honda is to halt production at its factory in Swindon, Wiltshire until the summer, as the misery engulfing the car industry showed no sign of easing up.

Headline for 1st June, 2009:

Honda to shut UK plant permanently and move production facilities to East Europe in a major cost cutting exercise. The plant will focus on hydrogen fuelled cars following a successful pilot scheme in the United States

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

Guest theboltonfury
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...-continues.html

Honda halts production for another two months as car misery continues

Honda is to halt production at its factory in Swindon, Wiltshire until the summer, as the misery engulfing the car industry showed no sign of easing up.

Headline for 1st June, 2009:

Honda to shut UK plant permanently and move production facilities to East Europe in a major cost cutting exercise. The plant will focus on hydrogen fuelled cars following a successful pilot scheme in the United States

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

I'd love to see everyone in work and all people happy, but...

Honda and other companies that have been selling us overpriced tat should now get the message. The market doesn't want your product. Change what you're offering or die. No one has a divine right to have us buy their stuff.

So they are selling no stock then!!!!

If only people could get credit and take on more debt we'd all be fine.

I wonder how long they can keep the plant closed before they have to sack everyone?

It's no surprise really, is it.

I'd love to see everyone in work and all people happy, but...

Honda and other companies that have been selling us overpriced tat should now get the message. The market doesn't want your product. Change what you're offering or die. No one has a divine right to have us buy their stuff.

Its goodnight from me

Honda, IMHO, do have a reputation for quality, but that makes them pricier too.

I reckon Kia and Hyundai will increase market share. A larger share of a smaller market though.

Honda, IMHO, do have a reputation for quality, but that makes them pricier too.

I reckon Kia and Hyundai will increase market share. A larger share of a smaller market though.

Check out the linky on the OP. A car that runs on "water" with zero emmissions.

I wonder how long they can keep the plant closed before they have to sack everyone?

It's no surprise really, is it.

you can bet the people "working" at the factory will be squeezing and pinching every penny in anticipation for the inevitable closure

As well as the recession, I wonder if Honda have suffered poor sales of the Civic because of its odd appearance. I don't know the actual figures - but I thought the new Civic looked like it might be a bit of an own-goal when I first saw one .

The Honda FCX Clarity, RB, was the subject of a Honda thread a few days ago. You really must begin reading other people's threads RB ;)

IMPO Obama could revolutionise the World if, on Tuesday, he announced that the US Govt was licencing the FCX Clarity technology from Honda, that he was investing billions in retooling US car-makers to build car based on the Clarity technology and that he was investing billions to build a hydrogen fueling network across the US to be completed, NASA Apollo style, within 10 years.

It would be Obama's Kennedy moment just as when Kennedy swept aside the doubters and publicly announced that the US should send a Man to the Moon, and bring him back safely, within 10 years..

Brown and the EU would have to follow suit.

(Already 2 billion bucks is being spent building a hydrogen filling network from the Mexican border through California and up to the Canadian broder.).

At a stroke such a move would cut down our need to be dependent upon oil or, to even be in the Middle East, and would make the West a cleaner place to live in.

It would cut down on lung diseases such as asthma and COPD and would simply be a giant leap forward for Humanity.

It would create hundreds of thousands of jobs in creating the hydrogen network and tens of thousands of high tech jobs in building the cars. Tax breaks for getting rid of your old car and then buying a Clarity based car within the next 15 years could be provided.

Twenty years from now the West could be a much happier, cleaner and less dangerous place in which to live. People will still have the freedom of their cars.

If Honda did not play ball then the US could simply re-engineer the technology which is perfectly legal, if done right, under US Law - anyone remember the name of the small company in the 1980s, that became a big PC seller in the 1990s, that basically bought an IBM PC, re-engineered it and which then became a major cornerstone of the IT boom of the past 20 years?

I sit here and type this in the hope that it will happen but I doubt that many politicians, anywhere, are even aware of the Clarity technology. It exists, it works and it drives exactly the same as any other car on the road today. It's only emission is water and the World only needs a President with vision to use it to change the World.

I watched the video (or rather listened to the mouthy barrow-boy)

I don't think anyone denies that property prices always rise over the long term and that will probably still be the case in the future.

What we have now is a correction - but one hell of a correction!

The Honda FCX Clarity, RB, was the subject of a Honda thread a few days ago. You really must begin reading other people's threads RB ;)

IMPO Obama could revolutionise the World if, on Tuesday, he announced that the US Govt was licencing the FCX Clarity technology from Honda, that he was investing billions in retooling US car-makers to build car based on the Clarity technology and that he was investing billions to build a hydrogen fueling network across the US to be completed, NASA Apollo style, within 10 years.

It would be Obama's Kennedy moment just as when Kennedy swept aside the doubters and publicly announced that the US should send a Man to the Moon, and bring him back safely, within 10 years..

Brown and the EU would have to follow suit.

(Already 2 billion bucks is being spent building a hydrogen filling network from the Mexican border through California and up to the Canadian broder.).

At a stroke such a move would cut down our need to be dependent upon oil or, to even be in the Middle East, and would make the West a cleaner place to live in.

It would cut down on lung diseases such as asthma and COPD and would simply be a giant leap forward for Humanity.

It would create hundreds of thousands of jobs in creating the hydrogen network and tens of thousands of high tech jobs in building the cars. Tax breaks for getting rid of your old car and then buying a Clarity based car within the next 15 years could be provided.

Twenty years from now the West could be a much happier, cleaner and less dangerous place in which to live. People will still have the freedom of their cars.

If Honda did not play ball then the US could simply re-engineer the technology which is perfectly legal, if done right, under US Law - anyone remember the name of the small company in the 1980s, that became a big PC seller in the 1990s, that basically bought an IBM PC, re-engineered it and which then became a major cornerstone of the IT boom of the past 20 years?

I sit here and type this in the hope that it will happen but I doubt that many politicians, anywhere, are even aware of the Clarity technology. It exists, it works and it drives exactly the same as any other car on the road today. It's only emission is water and the World only needs a President with vision to use it to change the World.

What is the wheel to well efficiency of hydrogen power compared to electric?

Yeah and it's so cheap :rolleyes:

You generally make a lot of good sense, but fuel cell cars have been "10 years away" for 10 years...

When you see a fuel cell powering the static power unit in the corner of your office, e.g. a server or air-con unit, THEN you can start talking about fuel cell cars being 10 years away.

until then, forget it. pipe dreams

Edited by the primitive

What is the wheel to well efficiency of hydrogen power compared to electric?

I have been following the Clarity technology for several years now. Honda, interestingly, have had a wonderful website dedicated to it for years now.

Furthermore, 50 of them already exist in Los Angeles and are in use everyday. If you look on Youtube you will find James May's excellent Top Gear report of driving one from a few weeks back which shows, to any doubters, that it looks like any other car, that it drives, accelerates and brakes like any other car. That you fill it up like any other car. You can have 4 people sitting in it and it drives no differently, it is the size of a small hatch and is basically no different except for...

The only difference is that it is not dependent upon oil to power it and that it does not give out toxic fumes as a waste product.

Of course, there will always be doubters with anything new. Virtually every advancement of Humanity has been faced initially with the doubting mentality who seemingly are so afraid of change and progress that they will rubbish anything and everything - often seemingly out of fear.

Christoper Columbus faced them, Galieo did as did Copernicus, Newton, Einstein, the Curies - just about every advancement in science, in engineering, in medicine. Heck, there are even GPs still around today who rubbish the fact that ulcers are caused by a virus even though two Aussie Doctors proved it back in the 1980s, and who were rubbished for many years by most of their profession for claiming so, but they were right and the doubters wrong.

Even Kennedy, when he made his speech in the 1960s about sending a Man to the Moon and bringing him safely back within a decade, was doubted by his own politicians and even by people within NASA. But Kennedy had a vision, he understood what was needed and he had the mentality to listen to those few in NASA who said "Yes, we can do that!".

I suppose it all depends on what you wish to be in life - a doubter or a doer?

What did Kipling say - there are two kinds of Men in the World, those who stay home and those who do not.

Good point.

You know it makes sense!!

Seriously though, The Masked Tulip has made some great points here. I only hope that governments try to end our oil dependence.

Even Bush came out a few years ago and said America needed to end it's addiction to oil.

Edited by Ted

Seriously though, The Masked Tulip has made some great points here. I only hope that governments try to end our oil dependence.

Even Bush came out a few years ago and said America needed to end it's addiction to oil.

yes. The best opportunity in a generation is fast upon us.

Guest sillybear2

Indeed it was, and I'm amazing you're still so starry eyed, as we've said before, where do you think hydrogen comes from? Do you think we can just drill a hole in the ground, stick a straw in and free-form hydrogen comes out as a primary energy resource? :rolleyes:

Moving away from oil based vehicle propulsion to electric or hydrogen (from electric) would require a quadrupling of grid power generation. Should/when we uncover commercial fusion then this one could fly and fly. Not until, sorry.

Guest sillybear2

By using hydrogen produced from electricity stations powered by oil/coal/gas and losing most of the energy in the numerous conversion processes?

If this is the sort of scientific thinking also shared by government then it's not just naive but dangerous.

Indeed it was, and I'm amazing you're still so starry eyed, as we've said before, where do you think hydrogen comes from? Do you think we can just drill a hole in the ground, stick a straw in and free-form hydrogen comes out as a primary energy resource? :rolleyes:

I am so glad that I am an Aquarian - it means I see the glass as half full and not half empty. It means I believe that obstacles can be overcome and that I believe the cause of Humanity is ever upwards.

Hydrogen is the most common element in the Universe. You know, that thing which is big. No, honestly it is pretty big. No, in fact it is really big.

As per the other thread simply make Google your friend and do your own research on hydrogen and the moves that are being undertaken by numerous companies to turn the most abundant element in the Universe into the power source of the foreseeable future.

If it wasn't for the starry eyed people we would all still be sitting around grunting in caves. In fact, we probably would not have had the vision to climb down from the trees.

I pity those who who only see problems and obstacles in Life. That is not why we came here. That is not why you came here.

You are a timeless Soul who has always existed and who, within you, has untold vision, knowledge and possibility. Such a shame that so many people forget this about ourselves when we come here or who allow Society, conventions, parenting, background, Class, teaching or a mixture of them all to turn us from visionaries into doubters.