House Price Crash Forum

Union Chief Derek Simpson's Secret Deal Over Perks And Pay Rise

HOLA441

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle5533387.ece

One of Britain’s most powerful union leaders has a secret house-for-life guarantee and enjoys pay and benefits worth nearly £200,000.

Derek Simpson, joint general secretary of Unite, has a deal to remain in his £800,000 grace-and-favour house in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, until he dies, according to confidential documents obtained by The Times. His pay package also went up by 17 per cent. Under the terms of the agreement Mr Simpson’s partner can stay in the home at a heavily subsidised rate even after the death of the 64-year-old union leader.

And although Mr Simpson, a close ally of Gordon Brown, has always claimed that he pays tax on the accommodation, for which he pays a nominal rent, the document shows that it is union members who cover the cost of the perk. The disclosure is the latest twist in a long-running controversy over the spending and en-titlements of Mr Simpson, who is currently fighting an election to stay in office beyond retirement age.

Internal papers show that Mr Simpson, who has said “executive pay and bonuses would make Midas blush”, demanded that the union cover his tax bill for his home “to make it affordable”. The perk was worth almost £40,000 in 2007, boosting to £194,252 the total value of the general secretary’s remuneration.

A spokesman for Unite said. “These arrangements were approved by the executive committee at the time and have been a matter of public record ever since. His remuneration is published every year and is properly approved every year.”

Unite represents a large number of workers earning less than the national average wage. Many reacted angrily to the latest disclosure. Steve Kelly, a construction worker in Romford, said: “When we are all living in fear of losing our jobs and maybe homes it is an outrage that our general secretary lives in a mansion with no threat of losing it ever. No wonder he sucks up to Gordon Brown and big business.”

Union leaders putting themselves first.

It must be nice being in a position of knowing you'll never be evicted and that your housing is a perk.

Can't wait to go and join a Union now!!!!!

This country is full of parasites.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest AuntJess

Maybe... eventually, the 'hard core' labour-ites will come to realise that their party was initiated not by a concern for the common-or-garden, working lad or lass, but by a desire to get in on the act of exploitation....Or maybe not. <_<

Snouts in the trough - not just a Tory enterprise. B)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Maybe... eventually, the 'hard core' labour-ites will come to realise that their party was initiated not by a concern for the common-or-garden, working lad or lass, but by a desire to get in on the act of exploitation....Or maybe not. <_<

Utter drivel.

Human nature being what it is there always be those who worm their way into positions of power and put themselves first, regardless of political persuasion.

However your statement above is simply wrong. Why make it?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

This **** of a man is constantly on the TV moaning and whinging about how hard done by the 'workers' in this country are.

Hope he gets run over by a Leyland truck. Being driven by Margaret Thatcher.

HOLA4411

Why do people pay Union fees, I can't understand it?

At our place, the union didn't kick up a fuss when the salary bandings were frozen (i.e. real terms pay cut), when we are guaranteed RPI from the company's income.

What is the point of unions?

HOLA4412

Its an interesting enough story I suppose. Wouldn't be my first choice for a front page headline, it only matters to members of his union.

I see Murdoch is concerned about trades unionism again, well he would be really at the moment and there has never been much love lost. That paper has become such a mouthpiece its barely worth reading these days which is a shame.

See also; angry articles in The Torgraph after a load of them were axed.

A classic of the genre was a "stop whinging if you still have a job" piece by an editor last week.

HOLA4413

At our place, the union didn't kick up a fuss when the salary bandings were frozen (i.e. real terms pay cut), when we are guaranteed RPI from the company's income.

I thought this. I stopped paying years ago, simply because they're controlled by ineffectual, shiny-eyed New Labour drones.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest AuntJess
Utter drivel.

Human nature being what it is there always be those who worm their way into positions of power and put themselves first, regardless of political persuasion.

However your statement above is simply wrong. Why make it?

If your statement were true - which I don't deny - it doesn't exactly negate what I said. Why try to be offensive about what I said, when it is possible that an alternative view exists?

Oops! Maybe you don't know how to consider alternatives. Anyone who disagrees with you is wrong therefore not worth being polite to. <_<

Edited by AuntJess

HOLA4416

The union leaders allied themselves with New Labour thinking that they would get something out of it for their members.

10 years on and the members have got very little, in fact the government got more out of it than the union members.

The government got a passive workforce that didn't kick up much of a fuss while their wages and conditions worsened

while new labour followed neo liberal policies more suited to a Tory government.

I understand that Simpson is actually changing the Unite union rules to enable

him to stand in another election for union leader.

Now the new labour project is over and working people realise they have been conned big time these pro new labour

union leaders should be swinging from lamp posts.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Union leaders have been doing this for years - living a life of luxury whilst the workers suffer.

The UDM were leaders were at it in 2004 lining their own pockets.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-ne...-name_page.html

Greedy b@stards :angry: :angry:

The UDM are not a typical union. They were formed by the miners that refused to go on strike in the 1984/85

miners strike. Mostly from Nottingham because the Nottingham pits were considered viable and were not due to be closed down. The UDM played a key role in helping Thatchers strategy to weaken solidarity amongst miners and beat the strike.

Of course Thatchers promise to keep the Nottingham pits open came to nothing and she closed them along with all the others. So much for the right to work.

The fact that the UDM leaders are behind the swindling of old miners out of their compensation really shows them

up for the scum that they were and still are.

HOLA4419

A union is its members. Not the leaders or the union as an organization.

If you feel the union in your workplace is not doing what it should then join it and get active to turn it around.

HOLA4420
Its an interesting enough story I suppose. Wouldn't be my first choice for a front page headline, it only matters to members of his union.

I see Murdoch is concerned about trades unionism again, well he would be really at the moment and there has never been much love lost. That paper has become such a mouthpiece its barely worth reading these days which is a shame.

See also; angry articles in The Torgraph after a load of them were axed.

A classic of the genre was a "stop whinging if you still have a job" piece by an editor last week.

Its because its all falling apart for Brown and New Labour and union leaders like Simpson and they are losing grip.

People like Murdoch are afraid of the backlash from working people getting organised within unions.

HOLA4421

The point of them is when they do a deal. people like you can enjoy their collective bargaining power and hang off the coat tails of union won deals.

Always remember a union is only as strong as its members...so if you have no balls=you get what your given.. :lol::lol:

HOLA4422
The union leaders allied themselves with New Labour thinking that they would get something out of it for their members.

10 years on and the members have got very little, in fact the government got more out of it than the union members.

The government got a passive workforce that didn't kick up much of a fuss while their wages and conditions worsened

while new labour followed neo liberal policies more suited to a Tory government.

They got the minimum wage.

They are expecting to get a clamp-down on temps

tim

HOLA4423
They got the minimum wage.

They are expecting to get a clamp-down on temps

tim

The minimum wage is not enforced and plenty of agencies pay below minimum wage.

There wont be any clamp down in fact casualisation will get worse in a recession.

HOLA4424