House Price Crash Forum

So, When Is Gordon Dead?

copydude

HOLA441

I'm sure a number of you here read the Political Betting dotcom site.

The analysis of polls and what influences them - or should we say, how polls are contrived - is rather astute.

Some time ago, Mike Smithson - who puts his money where is mouth is - didn't see Brown or Clegg lasting out their time to the next election. I still think he's made a good bet.

Recently I've been watching the old BBC 'I Claudius' series about ancient Rome. Funny how nothing changes. Everyone knows Caligula is mad and delusional but . . . how to release his grip on power? But once he's dead, it's done.

I see this happening to Brown. The Brits may not riot in the same way as the Greeks, Icelanders and Latvians - soon I suspect to be followed by the Irish and Spaniards, but they will want a scapegoat and a sacrifice.

I think New Labour - the architect of all our miseries - has only two choices. The first is, as Peter Oborne suggests, to abandon an election altogether, by calling 'force majeure' and creating a Gov of National Unity. Great cop out.

The other is for Labour to offer up a sacrifice to the nation, ie Gordon.

Either way, he's dead. It's just a question of time.

HOLA442

I thought at first you meant like... you know.... properly dead, 'cos I think that's one of the few things you can't bet on, physical demise, which gave rise to those macabre 'dead pools', or 'death lists', not just a Clint Eastwood film.

HOLA443
I thought at first you meant like... you know.... properly dead, 'cos I think that's one of the few things you can't bet on, physical demise, which gave rise to those macabre 'dead pools', or 'death lists', not just a Clint Eastwood film.

he is dead http://www.fvza.org/zscience2.html

quote: "due to degradation of their corneas, zombies suffer from severe myopia."

as if more proof were necessary

HOLA444

The analysis of polls and what influences them - or should we say, how polls are contrived - is rather astute.

Some time ago, Mike Smithson - who puts his money where is mouth is - didn't see Brown or Clegg lasting out their time to the next election. I still think he's made a good bet.

Recently I've been watching the old BBC 'I Claudius' series about ancient Rome. Funny how nothing changes. Everyone knows Caligula is mad and delusional but . . . how to release his grip on power? But once he's dead, it's done.

I see this happening to Brown. The Brits may not riot in the same way as the Greeks, Icelanders and Latvians - soon I suspect to be followed by the Irish and Spaniards, but they will want a scapegoat and a sacrifice.

I think New Labour - the architect of all our miseries - has only two choices. The first is, as Peter Oborne suggests, to abandon an election altogether, by calling 'force majeure' and creating a Gov of National Unity. Great cop out.

The other is for Labour to offer up a sacrifice to the nation, ie Gordon.

Either way, he's dead. It's just a question of time.

If Brown is Caligula, I can't see any of the present NuLabour hierarchy acting (metaphorically) in the role of the Praetorian guard and despatching him.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Maybe Brown is Claw-claw-cladius. :blink:

He's always struck me as more of a Tiberius figure - scowling, isolated, dogged by a sense of political illegitimacy - so perhaps the pillow-smothering route is the one his party needs to follow. Of course, that means his successor will be a Caligula-clone...

HOLA447

The other is for Labour to offer up a sacrifice to the nation, ie Gordon.Either way, he's dead. It's just a question of time.

Can we sacrifice him a la Whicker Man? (The original version starring Edward Woodward) That would be a larf.

HOLA448
He's always struck me as more of a Tiberius figure - scowling, isolated, dogged by a sense of political illegitimacy

Very good thought. He should have been married off to someone dynastic. Margaret Bekitus? She could have grown poisonous plants around her pergola especially for his conjugal visit.

Archived