House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doktor

Great Leighs Race Course In Administration

Apparently not due to the current economic downturn.

Link

GREAT LEIGHS racecourse went into administration on Friday night, only hours after the BHA revealed that it had refused to grant Britain’s first new track for nearly 71 years a licence to race, after a temporary licence ended at midnight on Thursday.

No reason was given for the regulatory sub-committee’s decision, but it was understood that the BHA had been concerned for some months about the financial stability of owner John Holmes’s company, the Essex Showground Group Ltd.

The apparent concern was given substance last night, when Deloitte, the business advisory firm, revealed it had been appointed as administrators.

Edited by Doktor

Well there was racing there last night, the results are on the web. I used to follow a bit of racing and I must say I'd never heard of it. Research shows its only been going 8 months, first meeting April 2008 with no paying customers!

Edited by deflation

I work very nearby and work purchased two memberships.....not such a wise investment. Pre-christmas meeting I attended seemed fairly well attended. It had been plagued by delays before opening last year.