House Price Crash Forum

Circuit City To Be Liquidated; 30 New York Stores Closed; 34,000 Jobs Lost Nationwide

HOLA441
Bankrupt retailer Circuit City., the nation’s second-largest consumer electronics retailer, said Friday that it will liquidate its 567 U.S. stores - including 30 stores in New York - since it failed to find a buyer or to refinance its debt.

Nationwide, about 34,000 people will lose their jobs as

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/01/1...30_new_yor.html

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Is it a Rumbelows or Tandy moment...

Best Buy are now the dominant Bricks and Mortar Electrical Retailer in the US.

Been in a couple of Best Buys in Florida. Very impressive - full gamut CDs/DVDs/Audio/Video/Sat Nav/Computing/Photography, Big HD TVs hooked up to high bandwidth HD sources. Staff with deep and wide product knowledge. Lots of stock.

They are coming to Europe and will lay waste to DSG, Comet, Apollo et al.

Bargains in the short term, but once the competition is wiped out the only way to benefit will be as a Best Buy shareholder.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
A couple of years ago Circuit City fired their best salesmen because 'they were making too much money' and replaced them with lower paid staff. Karma's a beautiful thing.

I thought so... there was a big fuss on Slashdot a while back. And "Circuit City" is a stupid name, so that's double bad karma ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
... Staff with deep and wide product knowledge. ...

Interesting, most comments suggest Best Buy staff are if anything sub-Circuit City, even post CC's brave new world clearout of expensive bonus grabbing older customer focused sales peeps, replaced by muppets.

For a sample look at the responses here...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns...0,2951948.story

This liquidation should send a message from DSG / KESA / Jessops to all the consumer electronics brands currently allowing online sites to undercut them by 30% / 40%.

" Hi, you know our very expensive to run sheds that people visit to test your product before buying off the internet ? Well, man, they can like disappear !

Then what will you do ? " :lol:

HOLA4416
Best Buy are now the dominant Bricks and Mortar Electrical Retailer in the US.

Been in a couple of Best Buys in Florida. Very impressive - full gamut CDs/DVDs/Audio/Video/Sat Nav/Computing/Photography, Big HD TVs hooked up to high bandwidth HD sources. Staff with deep and wide product knowledge. Lots of stock.

They are coming to Europe and will lay waste to DSG, Comet, Apollo et al.

Bargains in the short term, but once the competition is wiped out the only way to benefit will be as a Best Buy shareholder.

I couldn't disagree more.

Trying to get a usb cable to charge my Zen micro was like asking for them to confirm alchemy was possible.

It's like any other big warehouse of stuff to look at and then source online

Edited by GrillsBears

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I couldn't disagree more.

Trying to get a usb cable to charge my Zen micro was like asking for them to confirm alchemy was possible.

It's like any other big warehouse of stuff to look at and then source online

what do you expect for minimum wage. a rocket science graduate ?

there only there to serve you. not become experts at the 1500,000 products and variations of electrical commerce.

now, i have a PHd in teneriffe, and even if i got a weekend job at circuit city i couldnt tell you what kind of usb you would need for your zen micro vibrator.

Edited by the-sign-jacker

HOLA4419
what do you expect for minimum wage. a rocket science graduate ?

there only there to serve you. not become experts at the 1500,000 products and variations of electrical commerce.

now, i have a PHd in teneriffe, and even if i got a weekend job at circuit city i couldnt tell you what kind of usb you would need for your zen micro vibrator.

Why would a rocket science graduate be working in Best Buy? Surely they'd be more suited to the quantum physics world of sports authority or home depot?

HOLA4420

i believe these guys were a reasonably big player in the console/gaming market?

how long do you think it will be before all games are delivered over the internet and physical copies cease

might still be 15-20 years away but if more of these sort of shops close up soon it could be as few as 7-8 years away

HOLA4421
i believe these guys were a reasonably big player in the console/gaming market?

how long do you think it will be before all games are delivered over the internet and physical copies cease

might still be 15-20 years away but if more of these sort of shops close up soon it could be as few as 7-8 years away

That ******ing winds me up too. Media protection already ******** up everything just wait until you have to download it all. Micro transaction, DRM, rootkits will all be unstoppable. I want transportable media that I hold in case of system failure. Tough shit according to the powers that be, downlaod once pay once if your hard disk goes pop.... pay again. ****** that

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

20100.gif

Shops (Early Closing Days) Act 1965

1965 c.35

An Act to provide for a shop’s early closing day to be selected by its occupier; to abolish the power to change the closing time on early closing days and the power to extend early closing day requirements to exempted shops; to substitute the expression “early closing day” for the expression “weekly half-holiday” in the Shops Act 1950; and for purposes connected with the matters aforesaid.

Edited by 50%deposit