House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lee Harvey Oswald

Barclays Under £1 Per Share

Well spoken chap on Talk Sport now (clearly not a presenter) says he can't see it being anything but pure speculation as he says Barclays is as sound as a pound. (Wonder if he sees the Irony there?)

If so, surely this does suggest that short selling is the work of the Devil?

All seemed to be ticking along nicely earlier today, up afew points. Carnage in the last half hour or so. Why?
Friday January 16, 04:13 PM

Barclays shares fall sharply, underperform sector

LONDON, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Shares in Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) fell sharply late Friday afternoon, sharply underperforming the UK

banking sector, as fresh concerns over the global banking sector weighed on financial stocks.

Traders contacted by Reuters could not identify a specific reason for the late slide in Barclays shares. The UK government's ban on short selling of 34 major financial stocks expired on Thursday.

The bank (NASDAQ: TBHS - news) declined to comment on its stock performance.

Barclays stocks have lost about one third of its value this week.

(Reporting by Dominic Lau and Steve Slater) Keywords: BARCLAYS SHARES/ (dominic.lau@reuters.com; +44 20 7542 5440; Reuters Messaging: dominic.lau.reuters.com@reuters.net)

Really worked well last time, make no comment on your share price collapsing nearly 20% today.

How do non-taxpayer funded non-bastardized banks compete with the taxpayer money douched banks told to take the money and lend it to over-mortgaged morons at 3%?

The only business plan in town in Moron's and King Knut's - drop rates, lend like ******, prop house prices and hope to gain enough time to win the next election.

Edit - that is not to say that is what this is about and there may be anything lurking in their own books. Or, maybe as a result of the above they are being forced to take taxpayer money to get on the same playing field.

Edited by OnlyMe

Closer to 25% since 2:20pm, they are getting humped.

Interestingly, it looks liike they bought a big chunk of barretts at around that time:

Clearly financial geniuses.

That's why they get paid telephone salaries to make these sort of important financial decisions. If you pay top dollar you get quality employees who aren't there for the money.

All seemed to be ticking along nicely earlier today, up afew points. Carnage in the last half hour or so.

Why?

There's another thread about the Times article suggesting bailout 2 coming next week. Presumably that's the reason for the tankage: another bailout (possibly including Barclays this time?), more stock dilution, and the looming possibility of nationalisation (and a wipe out for common stock holders).

How do non-taxpayer funded non-bastardized banks compete with the taxpayer money douched banks told to take the money and lend it to over-mortgaged morons at 3%?

Exactly. Went the foreign shareholder route, didn't they, and were pretty bullish about their chances? Not liking the look of this one bit.

Really worked well last time, make no comment on your share price collapsing nearly 20% today.

That story had the following headline on Yahoo Finance:

"Banking giant loses over 15% of market cap in final hour of trading following lift on short-selling ban" Read more.

A little misleading no ? Why did the dasdardly short sellers wait until 4pm today to short ? Surely they would have been at it at 8am sharp ?!!

Is this drop not simply due to the fact that people now realise that in fact, after all, banks are truly ******ed.

All this, China's GDP, The economy as a whole, job losses, Baltic dry index..

It is very like the back end of last year again.

Are we heading for Worldwide system collapse take II.... :o

All seemed to be ticking along nicely earlier today, up afew points. Carnage in the last half hour or so.

Why?

Hmmmm.

Not sure what is going on with Barclays.

They seem hell bent on resisting the government ££bailout££ therefore they could be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Perhaps this is the markets way of indicating that the redundancies this week didn't go far enough, and anticipated Q3 earnings could be pretty catastrophic.

Who knows, best to wait and see I guess.

Has the ban on short selling been lifted yet ?

Lifted at clsoe of play last night. So all day for short selling to take place. If this drop was not at 8.00am on the nose I don't see how it is mainly the result of short selling. But what do I know...

I've got a vague idea that banking regulations state that if their share price falls they're obliged to "shore up" their balance sheet / capital reserves to compensate, which presumably has implications with regard to their lending capability.

Is that correct?

P.S Saw the Barclays CEO on Channel 4 news t'other night, and I must say he seemed (to me at least) a particularly corpulent, objectionable individual. He had a Grand Plan which consisted of asking the BOE to print a whole bunch of money in order that we can all become wealthy. Yes siree.

FT Alphaville saying the following:

A flurry of rumours abound. Talk that Barc won’t be included in the putative UK government bad bank scheme; talk of monoline exposure; and talk of the impact from the downgrades on credit card companies to which Barc is exposed.

Looks like no one really knows but their Deputy Chairman resigning worried people:

Last week, Sir Nigel Rudd resigned as deputy chairman of Barclays amid rumours of a spat with chairman John Varley over the valuation of certain assets on the bank’s balance sheet (a notion which has been dismissed by friends of both Rudd himself and Barclays).

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/01/16...s-rocking-barc/

This is a pure guess, but could the geopolitical situation have anything to do with it? IIRC they were the bank who were haeviy bailed out by middle-eastern sovereign wealth funds. Now that region is going to hell in a handcart, again.

I'm probably completely wrong here, and I'm happy to hold my hands up and say so if so, but would this for any reason be a contributing factor?

That story had the following headline on Yahoo Finance:

"Banking giant loses over 15% of market cap in final hour of trading following lift on short-selling ban" Read more.

A little misleading no ? Why did the dasdardly short sellers wait until 4pm today to short ? Surely they would have been at it at 8am sharp ?!!

Is this drop not simply due to the fact that people now realise that in fact, after all, banks are truly ******ed.

All this, China's GDP, The economy as a whole, job losses, Baltic dry index..

It is very like the back end of last year again.

Are we heading for Worldwide system collapse take II.... :o

Paperwork - they have to sort out whose shares they're borrowing.

I would say those who managed to keep their shorts after Sept 18th have just finished maximising their take. Long from Monday.

Ps Thanks to CGNAO and the Gnomes of Zurich I took a short position on sterling at 8869 today. :ph34r:

Paperwork - they have to sort out whose shares they're borrowing.

Behave yourself !! These boys can sort this sort of thing out in about 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

So the question remains - why at 16.00 hrs. Any link to short selling or not ?

So the question remains - why at 16.00 hrs. Any link to short selling or not ?

Don't the US markets open at 15:30 UK time? I know the American big boys will have reps in London so after a few meetings and whisperings 'off the record', maybe the short selling started then. The disclosure rules have remained in place in the UK but I don't know if that applies to the USA.