House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sogy

How To Know If The Potential Landlord Is Really The Owner Of The Property?

We have found a house we want to rent (in England), but the landlord is a private party, not an agency.

He wants us to pay a retainer to hold the house for a while before we sign the contract.

As the first line of security, I'd like to know if he really owns the house. Can I somehow check this easily and for free?

Thanks in advance for advice!

Go to the Land Registry website and type in the address in to the search box here:

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/portal/Property_Search

You have to pay £3.00 but I always download the deeds to check the owner is also the landlord of place I want to rent. If in doubt also download the plan of the grounds of the property for another £3.00 just to check you are gettng the whole property for rent. I had a LL who tried to rent me a property but keep the garden back as he was planning to start building a house there - 20 feet from my kitchen window.

If it is a company that owns the house/flat I go to Companies House and download the company accounts and the list of directors to check them out. Again you will have to pay a little but well worth it for peace of mind.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/1be27625...cessCompanyInfo

Also check the owner is on the voters roll at the address he/she has stated as their residential address.

In addition type their name into Google and keep searching into your LL background. It is amazing how much you can dig up on someone quite legally on the internet. Finally, I also go to the local council website and check for planning applications on the property. A few LL try and rent a property out while going through the plannng process - very disruptive for you.

I have never done a formal credit check but I beleive it is possible to get public records on people declared bankrupt or with CCJs via the Courts Service. Anyone know how?

I also do this kind of in depth searching on people who I am thinking of buying property from.