House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blankster

Waitrose Creating 4000 New Jobs.

So supermarkets are leading the way with job creation.

tesco 10k, morrisons 4k.

Sort of makes sense. As conditions deteriorate, we will eat at home more and more often ......

When I hear that jobs are being created at a supermarket, it must mean at least that many are being destroyed elsewhere.

Not necessarily. We've got a population expanding by several 100,000 each year so it figures that supermarkets need to keep expanding

It is becoming quite desperate how the supermarket new job creation is being wheeled out as if to say 'everything will be OK'. For most jobs available at supermarkets you really are better off being unemployed and claiming benefits

When I hear that jobs are being created at a supermarket, it must mean at least that many are being destroyed elsewhere.

Not necessarily. We've got a population expanding by several 100,000 each year so it figures that supermarkets need to keep expanding

It is becoming quite desperate how the supermarket new job creation is being wheeled out as if to say 'everything will be OK'. For most jobs available at supermarkets you really are better off being unemployed and claiming benefits

In a recession(or worse) I guess people no longer need to buy exotic financial instruments with a history of blowing up... but they still need to buy food, including all sorts of exotic foods available in the wonderful variety these supermarkets offer.

I just wish there was legislation or something that all retailers had to pay higher wages. So no chain would be at a competitive disadvantage, as they'd all have to pay the higher base wages.

See your point. I am not convinced our population is still expanding though, a lot of Poles are going home are they not, presumably the same applies to some other groups at least.

Wow, Waitrose are really going for it.

Three have opened near where I live, one on Edgware Road near Marble Arch (used to be a Woolworths), one on Queensway (used to be a Budgens) and one in Westfield Shopping Centre.

Waitrose creating 4000 new jobs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7833065.stm

Not clear how many are new jobs and how many come with acquisitions of some Somerfield and Co-op stores.

:huh:

More than 1,000 staff at the 13 Somerfield stores will join Waitrose and 500 further jobs will be added. The nine new stores will create around 2,500 jobs.

so only 3000 new jobs ;)

Edited by daiking

When I worked in the US there was a supermarket chain called Krogers. I think they paid only a nominal wage of a few cents an hour. but people worked there so that they could get health cover. For most people it was a second job.

I can't see the words "Full time" in the BBC report anywhere. This is being reported (spun) as a good news story to somehow counteract the daily job losses, but the figures are fairly meaningless without knowing how many of these jobs are full time and how many are part time. Certainly incredibly relevent from the house price/spending power perspective

I can't see the words "Full time" in the BBC report anywhere. This is being reported (spun) as a good news story to somehow counteract the daily job losses, but the figures are fairly meaningless without knowing how many of these jobs are full time and how many are part time. Certainly incredibly relevent from the house price/spending power perspective

thats the key. 65% of supermarket jobs are part time.

Converting part time over Christmas to full time counts as job creation at Sainsburys.