House Price Crash Forum

No Price Reduction Here, Ea Is Innundated

Number79

HOLA441

two houses on my street came up as STC in December, so yes, offers are being made, but both are back on the market as buyers had no chance to complete.

This IS the pattern throughout the land. Broken chains are the sign of the recession, unrelaistic expectations on the parts of buyers and Sellers is the other.

Course an STC makes work for the Agent, but no income...the phone calls, changing rightmove and the adverts, changing the signs and so on.

Edited by Bloo Loo

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Sonning common, a village between henley and reading.

I know that places with land will sell but 5 asking price offers so far? 15 more viewings? and all procedable with no chain.

This is an expensive area - £350k does not sound all that bad for a place with all of that land. This could have been £500k at the peak of the market, especially if there is the ability/permission to turn it into something much bigger.

If someone buys this at £350k, spends £200k turning it into a 4,000sqft home with 1 acre+ garden, then surely they will have got a fairly good deal?

This house is £895k:

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...amp;pid=2802570

If the buyer of the £350k property is planning to turn it into something similar, then they won't lose much money until the market drops a further 40%.

HOLA447
HOLA448

In that case this is understandable.

The property hasn't been on sale for 60 years and is in a nice part of the country. I think Henley was voted the best place to live in the UK. Plus it has 1.5 acres of land.

Edited by GregG

HOLA449
the calls were probably EA colleges. these people are going bust by the dozen - they were using scum tactics at the peak of the boom - i expect they are selling their grannies right now

lot of effort to convince someone signing a 12 month tenancy agreement don't you think?

I was early so they were not even ready for me. I dislike ea's aswell but she seems ok and i have no reason at all to doubt this hence the complete shock.

HOLA4410

A half respectable house with an acre and a quarter in Sonning Common - £350K is cheap on a historical basis. Loads of horsey people with seemingly inexhaustible quantities of cash. I know that horses are being allegedly abandoned all over the place, but not in that area.

We bought late last year in an area close by. Cottage (in need of some renovation) + 6 acres. It was put on at a competitive price (clearly more than £350K), and there were similarly loads of offers, some were 25% OVER asking. We lowballed and got binned out...but two months later they came back, as none of the silly offers could actually complete - so we got it. So the credit crunch saved us 25% I suppose - in normal times, the loonies would have been able to complete.

Crazy time to buy, I know, but even with hindsight, I'd do it again in an instant.

HOLA4411
Let me get this straight. There were TWO calls about the house while you were there to sign a tenancy agreement? What's that 20-30 mins tops.

Yet there is no link to the house on the internet?

How the F'k are the callers discovering this bargain property is for sale?

She told me it is advertised in the property papers. Is probably on their website but the rightmove link has already been posted.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I viewed a property this week - buildings plus land and the EA had 20 viewings in three days (three other people were viewing it at the same time as us so I've no reason to doubt this). I think a lot of people are seriously looking at land with potential because most property developers are out of the market which gives joe public a sniff of getting these opportunities when in the past they were quietly snapped up off market by the developers.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Looks a great deal. Assuming the highest proceedable offer is £400K it's still a bargain.

I was STR in 2005 and had a similar experience when I visited EAs. To test the market I wandered in with a £400K deposit, mortgage arranged and "looking to buy" for £750K. I expected them to be crawling all over me. Not so - I was merely 1 of many!

Seems to me we have a real split in the economy. Those with money and those without. There are still significant numbers with money.

Re-entering the property market as an STR was always (IMO) going to be very difficult to time. We were hopelessly wrong having re-bought early 2006!

HOLA4418
Problem is the EA needs 3 a Week.

Some properties will sell and will attract the few Buyers that actually have money.

I saw a House before Xmas.EA said lot of interest offers coming in etc.

Now on for £20,000 less.House

BS

She did say quite seriously that she hoped this wasn't just a short flurry and that it ended up being 3 months work in two weeks. I know they have been struggling so far.

HOLA4419

I take it back. More shock than disbelief now ....

There is many a slip twixt offer and completion though .......

This may be the spring bounce, bull trap or dead cat bounce that many have been thinking about for a while.

Markets can never go down in a straight line so it is time for some sort of pause to give the market a chance to catch its breath for the next big leg down ....

HOLA4420
Looks a great deal. Assuming the highest proceedable offer is £400K it's still a bargain.

I was STR in 2005 and had a similar experience when I visited EAs. To test the market I wandered in with a £400K deposit, mortgage arranged and "looking to buy" for £750K. I expected them to be crawling all over me. Not so - I was merely 1 of many!

Seems to me we have a real split in the economy. Those with money and those without. There are still significant numbers with money.

Re-entering the property market as an STR was always (IMO) going to be very difficult to time. We were hopelessly wrong having re-bought early 2006!

Its booming, what with 1m properties on rightmove alone, and about 5000 completions last August.

HOLA4421
two houses on my street came up as STC in December, so yes, offers are being made, but both are back on the market as buyers had no chance to complete.

This IS the pattern throughout the land. Broken chains are the sign of the recession, unrelaistic expectations on the parts of buyers and Sellers is the other.

Course an STC makes work for the Agent, but no income...the phone calls, changing rightmove and the adverts, changing the signs and so on.

I have seen this also but these are all buyers with no chain. Fully procedable, only being viewed by people with nothing to sell and will go to the highest offer.

I know there are lots of people around here with money still. This is a good place. Have heared similar throughout the home counties, wonder how much of it is just wealth being put into something tangeable before it is eroded away?

HOLA4422
I take it back. More shock than disbelief now ....

There is many a slip twixt offer and completion though .......

This may be the spring bounce, bull trap or dead cat bounce that many have been thinking about for a while.

Markets can never go down in a straight line so it is time for some sort of pause to give the market a chance to catch its breath for the next big leg down ....

I read about the bull trap that caught many early on during the great depression. I think that this activity will be gone by the spring apart from those with a lot of money looking for ways to keep it safe.

HOLA4423

I was talking to an EA yesterday - she said plenty of offers around just very low ones. Gave me an example of a property on for £435K where someone had just offered £300K. If you've STRd, I think you still need to watching the market very closely and be ready to make a low offer on something you like as an offer well below asking price now may be no worse than an asking price offer in 12 months time.

HOLA4424

This is where I think we are at present. As I have posted elsewhere, I am simply not seeing price drops yet in Devon in the over 800k bracket and my full cash offers (at 30% off) are being rebuffed every time. They are not even interested in haggling with me; they just tell me to go away. And two of the houses in my shortlist of 3 have sold (ie completed) in the last 3 months (one of them completing today). Im hoping it will filter up gradually because I am really seeing a split approach in the economy so far.

HOLA4425

Now I have seen it can see why its had interest. Price has been corrected and now there is a market. On the face of it I would pay £350k for this.

Think about how many mongs there are now who are looking at places for £350k plus acre plus paddock and paid that for a 1 bed flat with wheelie bin storage and enough room to swing a cat with 125% mortgage 6 times their earnings. :lol: