House Price Crash Forum
geezer466

Honda Plant Swindon Closed April And May

Just coming on the ticker on the BBC.

Who will be next I wonder?

This has the potential to decimate Swindon as it is by far the main employer in the town......

Just coming on the ticker on the BBC.

Who will be next I wonder?

This has the potential to decimate Swindon as it is by far the main employer in the town......

You are displaying a clear lack of understanding of how the property market works.

Now that all of the employees at Honda have a two month holiday, they will all finally have the time to look at the housing market and see how cheap it is and upgrade their houses.

What appears to be dire economic news is actually just another opportunity for the green shoots of recovery to blossom ......

HA HA HA HA ..... Aliens took over my keyboard for a moment ..... Sorry about that .....

Pesto on BBC News now talking about 'significant' redundancies amongst the car manufacturers in the weeks and months ahead.

We are moving to the next stage............

Honda spokesman on the radio said they had a new model going into production in the summer. Presumably that'll make its predecessor even harder to sell (in competition with a better model on the market), and so that's one of the factors behind the mothballing at this stage.

Which models do they build at Swindon, I quite liked the look of the latest Civic(Not to everyones taste) but its not supposed to be as good as the previous model so bought a Focus instead

Honda seem to be good planners. There are to be no redundancies (surprising) and although they will be giving employees basic pay, they'll save a stack on electricitity, etc. Maybe even a business rates rebate if factory is mothballed for that long?

The local suppliers will fare less well though. How many of then can survive without 4 months production? By stockpiling interior trim, glass parts, etc?

Edited by deflation

Honda seem to be good planners. There are to be no redundancies (surprising) and although they will be giving employees basic pay, they'll save a stack on electricitity, etc. Maybe even a business rates rebate if factory is mothballed for that long?

The local suppliers will fare less well though. How many of then can survive without 4 months production? By stockpiling interior trim, glass parts, etc?

I think business rate relief for mothballed commercial property has been abolished (that'll be more of Gordon's "help to businesses and hardworking families" then)

:lol::lol:

They'll still be able to buy one secondhand, though, as well as liquidation stock ;-)

I would buy a CRV today if I felt that Honda were offering serious discounts on them - IMPO they are not. So I will sit on my cash and wait. I am reading about Honda dealerships going out of business across the UK so there appears to be some car madness going on - if they sold pre-reg Hondas the same way Ford do I suspect they would have a healthy queue of customers wanting to buy.

Let's face it, for the price of a Honda you can get a BMW. No contest.

I would buy a CRV today if I felt that Honda were offering serious discounts on them - IMPO they are not. So I will sit on my cash and wait. I am reading about Honda dealerships going out of business across the UK so there appears to be some car madness going on - if they sold pre-reg Hondas the same way Ford do I suspect they would have a healthy queue of customers wanting to buy.

Registering loads of car and them selling them as pre-reg only ruins the residual value and damages the brand. Honda DONT do that precisely to protect their brand image and make Hondas hold their value.

They are the brand that most 'generalist' brands want to be compared to (high residuals, perceived as a good brand)

Having said that the new civic isnt particualry reliable, the CRV is dated and drives like and old bus, and the Accord just doesnt sell very well.

Wee

You might not be able to buy one at all soon!

The deVries Honda Group went into administration on Friday, the second Honda franchise group in as many months, with receivers Keith Hinds and Nigel Ruddock of Grant Thornton taking control of its five dealerships.

DeVries, a Honda dealer since 1991, has five outlets in Northallerton, Hull, Scarborough, Stockton-on-Tees and York.

Grant Thornton said it was working with Honda to try to keep the dealerships open with a view to achieving sales as going concerns.

Although the receivers cannot rule out redundancies from the 130 strong workforce, at the current time all the sites are operating normally.

Hinds said: "We are currently looking at maintaining as many trading operations as possible but we cannot discount the need to close some or all of the sites if buyers could not be found in the near future.

"We are currently working with Honda to safeguard customer deposits and are maintaining full aftersales services to customers."

Honda UK today said Grant Thornton will keep all the sites open for a number of weeks and the car maker was hopeful that four of the five sites would be sold to new partners.

Honda has set up a 0845 number with a team of customer service operatives to help in what will be a "confusing time" for customers, Bernard Bradley, Honda general manager cars, told TakingMotors.com.

Honda UK said it had contributed "significant financial support" and had been working with the deVries management for "a considerable period of time". DeVries is a sizeable business, employing 133 people. In 2007 it sold 2,500 cars and had a turnover of £62.5m.

This is the second Honda group to experience difficulties in recent months. In November Amethyst Motor Company closed with the loss of 85 jobs. The company operated three Honda and Seat franchises in Cheltenham, Gloucester and Chippenham and had a turnover of £32m in 2007.

Bradley that he was not aware of any other Honda dealers facing difficulties.

"There is nothing else that I know of that is imminent. It is fair to say that both businesses referred to had particular issues not present in the Honda network. Relatively speaking our network is very strong."

"We have options when these things happen. We have as many prospects today as we had 12 months ago," he added.

http://www.talkingmotors.com/index.php?opt...9&Itemid=16

The deVries Honda Group went into administration on Friday, the second Honda franchise group in as many months, with receivers Keith Hinds and Nigel Ruddock of Grant Thornton taking control of its five dealerships.

DeVries, a Honda dealer since 1991, has five outlets in Northallerton, Hull, Scarborough, Stockton-on-Tees and York.

Grant Thornton said it was working with Honda to try to keep the dealerships open with a view to achieving sales as going concerns.

Although the receivers cannot rule out redundancies from the 130 strong workforce, at the current time all the sites are operating normally.

Hinds said: "We are currently looking at maintaining as many trading operations as possible but we cannot discount the need to close some or all of the sites if buyers could not be found in the near future.

"We are currently working with Honda to safeguard customer deposits and are maintaining full aftersales services to customers."

My local Honda dealer has diversified into cheaper second hand cars of all makes.The word is that as a premium price product Honda is in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time.If you look at their customer profile they are largely older buyers relying on interest income which has all but disappeared.The £2000 small car is where the action is at the moment, if you can find any.

Honda UK today said Grant Thornton will keep all the sites open for a number of weeks and the car maker was hopeful that four of the five sites would be sold to new partners.

Honda has set up a 0845 number with a team of customer service operatives to help in what will be a "confusing time" for customers, Bernard Bradley, Honda general manager cars, told TakingMotors.com.

Honda UK said it had contributed "significant financial support" and had been working with the deVries management for "a considerable period of time". DeVries is a sizeable business, employing 133 people. In 2007 it sold 2,500 cars and had a turnover of £62.5m.

This is the second Honda group to experience difficulties in recent months. In November Amethyst Motor Company closed with the loss of 85 jobs. The company operated three Honda and Seat franchises in Cheltenham, Gloucester and Chippenham and had a turnover of £32m in 2007.

Bradley that he was not aware of any other Honda dealers facing difficulties.

"There is nothing else that I know of that is imminent. It is fair to say that both businesses referred to had particular issues not present in the Honda network. Relatively speaking our network is very strong."

"We have options when these things happen. We have as many prospects today as we had 12 months ago," he added.

http://www.talkingmotors.com/index.php?opt...9&Itemid=16

Registering loads of car and them selling them as pre-reg only ruins the residual value and damages the brand. Honda DONT do that precisely to protect their brand image and make Hondas hold their value.

They are the brand that most 'generalist' brands want to be compared to (high residuals, perceived as a good brand)

Please don't tell me you actually believe this? :rolleyes:

I have a friend who owned an Accord. He would talked constantly about Honda never having a failed engine until the day I sat him down and directed him to numerous car forums and car owner review sites.

I have some friends who have a chinook.

They have a big dangy hook on the bottom of it.

We have some Homer Simpson style woolen hats.

I am going to make a picnic hamper and one dark night in the foreseeable future we are going CRV fishing over some Wiltshire airfields.

In fact, we may well swap all the CRVs in one field with all the Focuses in another field and then claim that aliens did it.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Please don't tell me you actually believe this? :rolleyes:

I have a friend who owned an Accord. He would talked constantly about Honda never having a failed engine until the day I sat him down and directed him to numerous car forums and car owner review sites.

Believe what?

Everything I wrote id fact, not what 'i believe'

Edited by weebag

+1

But they just would rather build them and stack them... sooner or later it will be like this :-

1. Poor quality/undesirable brands will go out of business. Vauxhall, Sangsong, Chevrolet, etc

2. High quality/desirable brands will need to discount hard to survive. Mini, Mazda, BMW, etc

There will still be a niche for enthusiast cars (Lotus, Caterham etc).

Deag

I have some friends who have a chinook.

They have a big dangy hook on the bottom of it.

We have some Homer Simpson style woolen hats.

I am going to make a picnic hamper and one dark night in the foreseeable future we are going CRV fishing over some Wiltshire airfields.

In fact, we may well swap all the CRVs in one field with all the Focuses in another field and then claim that aliens did it.

:lol:Not a bad idea that, but the keys will be "in the office".

You could make crop circles out of em.

:lol:Not a bad idea that, but the keys will be "in the office".

The chinook comes fully equipped with sneak beaky chaps capable of defusing nuclear warheads, making a submarine out of an old sardine tin and breaking into offices in search of keys ;)

Failing that we could always call the AA.