House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ethier

What Sort Of Jiggery-pokery Is This?

This house recently appeared on Rightmove and was listed as "Sold STC" as soon as it was first posted (as can be verified by the PB data). I am 99.99% sure it has not come on before as a different listing.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-11752767.html

So why/how does a house sell STC before appearing on the market, especially in this market?

Repo?

"Inside" sale?

Such a good bargain that it went within milliseconds? (ya, right :lol::lol::lol: )

Sleazy EA technique to try to establish a new price benchmark in the area? :angry:

I don't get it. :huh:

This house recently appeared on Rightmove and was listed as "Sold STC" as soon as it was first posted (as can be verified by the PB data). I am 99.99% sure it has not come on before as a different listing.

So why/how does a house sell STC before appearing on the market, especially in this market?

Repo?

"Inside" sale?

Such a good bargain that it went within milliseconds? (ya, right :lol::lol::lol: )

Sleazy EA technique to try to establish a new price benchmark in the area? :angry:

They have re listed this property, I viewed it in September 2008 it had been on the market for a few months then.... it was still showing in RM in November after that I couldn't say.

The price its showing is the price it came on the market at last summer, be interested to see what it sold for.

I'm glad its sold as the vendors were both frail OAP's with serious heath problems who needed to move on.

They have re listed this property, I viewed it in September 2008 it had been on the market for a few months then.... it was still showing in RM in November after that I couldn't say.

The price its showing is the price it came on the market at last summer, be interested to see what it sold for.

I'm glad its sold as the vendors were both frail OAP's with serious heath problems who needed to move on.

OK, many thanks for that info. (Apparently the 0.01% uncertainly has got me on this one! :lol: .)

How do we explain the other examples above?

OK, many thanks for that info. (Apparently the 0.01% uncertainly has got me on this one! :lol: .)

How do we explain the other examples above?

I have been talking to a few EA in Beckenham and a couple of them have said they are having trouble getting vendors to reduce the price,

Talking about stupid Vendors......

This property came on the market at £595,000 in late spring 2008 it went under offer early Autumn then SALE STC, the Vendor got annoyed with the purchaser, he felt he was taking to long to complete the sale, (all this 2 months from offer) so decided not to sell to him and put the property back on the market at £635,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm lost for words, I spoke to the EA about it and she said our hands are tied this is the price he wanted..........!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...maxPrice=650000

I have seen a few examples of this. The EAs have not got much else to do, so they repost 'Sold STC' ads on houses they actually sold a few months previously.

They like doing this with their sign boards, as well. A house across the road from me sold last summer and the EA put a sold board up outside. It came down after a few weeks, but a new one appeared a few months later. The LR data confirmed that it had not been sold again.

This property came on the market at £595,000 in late spring 2008 it went under offer early Autumn then SALE STC, the Vendor got annoyed with the purchaser, he felt he was taking to long to complete the sale, (all this 2 months from offer) so decided not to sell to him and put the property back on the market at £635,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...maxPrice=650000

With a few vendors, there is a bizarre psychology at work which says 'If someone came forward to buy at £X, it must be worth more. So I'll put it back on at £X + 1'. I think it's born of the fear that someone may be getting a reasonable deal from you.

They never reason that the potential buyer at £X was possibly the only one in the universe prepared to go as high as £X.

The only other reason is tactical - that they intend to later drop it a little, and pretend it's a reduced 'bargain'.

Repo?

"Inside" sale?

Whenever I see accusations on here of dodgy dealings/unfair behaviour by estate agents, I am usually able to give a reason for their actions, with the explanation being that they are wholly innocent or victims of their vendors behaviour/greed

This property was marketed by the agent as follows:

Select Archived £595,000

Marketed from: 24-04-2008 to 14-11-2008 (205 days) 4 bedrooms| Detached

Mays Hill Road, Shortlands, Bromley, Kent

Built in 1934, this attractive substantial detached house has been updated by the current vendors including a re-fitted bathroom (2005), new gas fired boiler installed and replacement sealed

They may well have been under orders not to market it once the sale was agreed (purchasers requirement) and thus took it off rightmove. They are proudly returning it now the deal is safe to show that they are selling houses. Fair enough I say.

They may well have been under orders not to market it once the sale was agreed (purchasers requirement) and thus took it off rightmove. They are proudly returning it now the deal is safe to show that they are selling houses. Fair enough I say.

Just what i was going to post.

You'd be amazed how many people don't want their property shown on the web as "they don't want the neighbours to know they're moving."

one of our local agents has been putting sold boards up all over town.

several people have complained as their house wasn't even for sale - the EA has just been going round late at night and sticking signs in random people's gardens!

Repo?

"Inside" sale?

in my local paper theres one e.a advertising a full page of sold properties but it does not say when they were sold probably back in 07

several people have complained as their house wasn't even for sale - the EA has just been going round late at night and sticking signs in random people's gardens!

just rip em out and burn them it would cost e.a a fortune then it won't take long for them to go bust

We were taken to see a house as soon as the EA had received an instruction, as was somebody else. It was sold before the weekend was out (we even had a little bidding war, but both us and the other couple were offering around 20% off, this went up to around 19% off in the course of a week). The other couple bought it and a few days later it appeared on Rightmove as SSTC - I guess this is advertising for the agent.

Good houses are still selling if the vendor will accept a low price, but it was interesting that two almost identical offers were received so far off the asking price.

they make a useful snow shovel.

I spoke to the EA about it and she said our hands are tied this is the price he wanted..........!!!

I don't know how they're still trading??! EAs hands are tied, yeah, right!

I don't know whether it's denial still or that EAs just think we'll get it on our books and then it is less likely to be sold by another EA?? Shewerley they need to re-think the game now?! If I was an EA in this climate I'd want to be selling properties and I'd want to be known locally as the EA that was selling properties. That vendor would not have the house on my books unless it was pretty close to what I thought was a realistic market value. FACT. But then, I'm not an EA, I'm a HPC VI.

And another thing, another potential 20,000 less 'motivated sales' that might have helped drive the market down will now be owned or underwritten by HAs supported by the government. Not saving reposession, saving eviction though which is good... for those families..... that helped drive things to where they are........ with their foolish and unrealistic borrowing.....

I don't want people thrown out of their houses, so it is a good thing on balance. I and my wife and toddler may be throuwn out of our house when the tenancy agreement ends in Sept though. Which of us was wisest..?

Ho hum.

just rip em out and burn them it would cost e.a a fortune then it won't take long for them to go bust

I nicked several recently and made a shelter to keep my firewood dry.

Some have metal staves at the bottom. I've nicked some of these this morning and will make myself a windbreak for the beach this summer as I'm spending a week in Le-Touquet where it can be quiet windy. Round my way they are left lying around on the ground. Agents seem to come and put new ones in.

The sign boards are sometimes made of a sort of plastic with airchannels in the middle. Sandwiched together they would probably make a good weatherproof heat insulation. I wonder whether they are fire-resistant?

Edited by GregG

Rubbish