House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Mps Vote To Continue Fiddling Expenses

Nice find by the Times. Looks like they tried to bury this on a busy news day.

We had been expecting the results of this massive FOI exercise, involving the release of 1 million pieces of paper, by the Summer. It will now be canned in favour of the release of a spreadsheet with 26 headings, which gives a fraction of the information otherwise available. Under the new expenses rules published today, MPs will be also allowed:

** To buy "White goods": electrical equipment, sofas, chairs, tables, decoration, cleaning, insurance and security to be bought on expenses. This is limited to 10 per cent of the allowance (probably around £20,000) excet during the first year a Member is newly elected.

** Public money will be allowed on spent on MPs' mortgage costs for "refurbishment"

** A flat-rate £25 per day may be claimed when a "Member spends a night away from his or her main home on Parliamentary business". Which will be most of the time.

** No receipts to be submitted for items costing under £25. "It has been argued that it would be excessively burdensome for Members to have provided receipts for all transactions and that additional costs incurred.. would be likely disproportionate."

** There will be no minimum number of MPs whose expenses will face audit. Instead there will be checks on "an appropriate, risk-base sampling regime".

So any amount under £25 is such a trifling sum that MPs need not worry about it. Try telling that to the Tax Office when you do your next self-assessment

No wonder this countries finances are in such a mess when those in charge (and that includes LibLabCon as they have all agreed to this) take such a criminal attitude towards spending public money.

What about the Freedom of Information act though? No problem, we will just change the law:

But Harriet Harman and the government are behind the move to prevent receipts being published. The move requires the Freedom of Information Act to be amended, and Jack Straw has apparently laid an Statutory Instrument which does so for the House to approve.

As one of the comments in the article mentions, this is all at the expense of the hard-working families that Labour bleats on about trying to help:

I run my own small business and have paid in excess of 90 grand a year in tax and VAT for the last 6 years. But even 90 grand would not keep one of these disgusting parasites in expenses for 6 months.

We need to wake up as a country, although I suspect we will see a fair bit of civil unrest this year anyway.

The point is these are probably local businesses shedding employees. These will just not hit te news at all, until they show up in the overall stats. This is just one insurance man in a very small city. Just how many people are loosing their jobs...

By the way Mrs FTBagain was made redundent just before Xmas. Although there are a number of promising opportunities. She is a nurse and according to press reports that is the one 'business' that is still recruiting. So fingers crossed.

The type of people who become politicians are exactly the type we should be guarding against.

Scum with fast tongues, on the whole.

We need the whole bloody lot replacing with people that are not selfish, self-obsessed toss pots; people who actually believe in the Country and its Countrymen and will move hell or high water to ensure that Great Britain looks after its own. Not just the thieving scum bag 'politicians' that have clawed their way into power.

The word 'politics' comes from the Greek 'poly' meaning 'many', and tics, bloodsucking parasites.

-- 1992 Libertarian presidential candidate Andre Marrou

** A flat-rate £25 per day may be claimed when a "Member spends a night away from his or her main home on Parliamentary business". Which will be most of the time.

Like Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper? Jesus! Our surveyors have to be away from their families for 12 days nbefre they can claim 'disturbance allowance'

Unless, of course, that £25 is to cover the cost of their second home? I worked out our mortgage (don't hit me, please) is about £25 per day. And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

The type of people who become politicians are exactly the type we should be guarding against.

Scum with fast tongues, on the whole.

We need the whole bloody lot replacing with people that are not selfish, self-obsessed toss pots; people who actually believe in the Country and its Countrymen and will move hell or high water to ensure that Great Britain looks after its own. Not just the thieving scum bag 'politicians' that have clawed their way into power.

The word 'politics' comes from the Greek 'poly' meaning 'many', and tics, bloodsucking parasites.

-- 1992 Libertarian presidential candidate Andre Marrou

I'll say it again, vote for your independent. If there is no independent standing, put yourself forward. No political parties, no political agendas!

The "no receipt for items under £25" thing. That doesn't seem to have a daily limit.

So presumably one could take say 4 x £24 taxis, buy a £24 bottle of wine, as many CDs/DVDs as one wished, phone top ups, etc etc etc with zero accountability? All this on top of the daily £25. My daughter works a whole evening shift after college and gets paid less than that and these free loading useless f*ckers steal it from us without a bye or leave.

This is theft. Pure and simple. :angry:

... people who actually believe in the Country and its Countrymen and will move hell or high water to ensure that Great Britain looks after its own.

Like a BNP MP would, Dubai? :rolleyes:

Do you really want MP's spending hours every day collecting receipts for pennies spent? Do you want them spending time wondering whether they buy a regular burger or a double burger because some gutter-press hack with nothing better to do will produce a headline " Fat MP buys double burgers with taxpayers money!" Get real.

If you're unhappy with your MP, then get them voted out at the next election - that's how the system works. It's not too complicated, you know. If they're really so useless, then stand against them and you'll easily win the support of the electorate, won't you? Surely your argument is so good and strong, you'll win by a landslide, won't you?

p

I'll say it again, vote for your independent.

Whatever his/her views? You haven't thought it through, have you? You could be putting someone into office who will support everything that you abhor!

Vote for the 'Do Nothing Party' by all means, if you must, but don't vote for someone whose views you can't even establish unless, of course, you don't care what they decide in Parliament. At least with the 'Do Nothing Party' you know in advance that they'll do F... All and let people suffer.

p

Do you really want MP's spending hours every day collecting receipts for pennies spent? Do you want them spending time wondering whether they buy a regular burger or a double burger because some gutter-press hack with nothing better to do will produce a headline " Fat MP buys double burgers with taxpayers money!" Get real.

If you're unhappy with your MP, then get them voted out at the next election - that's how the system works. It's not too complicated, you know. If they're really so useless, then stand against them and you'll easily win the support of the electorate, won't you? Surely your argument is so good and strong, you'll win by a landslide, won't you?

p

I just bought a sandwich for lunch - 3 hours it took me to get a receipt! Oh, wait, hang on, that's a lie - they handed it to me with my change. Amusingly enough, I'm claiming it as a subsistence expense because I'm on training today.

And yes, I'd like to hope that my elected representative in Parliament was competent enough to keep a few receipts. I mean, they have bloody secretaries and hangers on, it's not as if they have to actually do it themselves.

p

Appeal to Absurdity argument. Like saying

Well if you don't want whaling vessels to kill whales, would you rather they hunted people? (you cruel barsteward etc.)

How should you protest if you believe the system to be invalid, other than participating in it? Isn't that like a military dictator saying

If you don't like the system, then take power forcibly from me, like I did from my incumbent

p

That is exactly the point, its not pennies. One £25 item each day is over £9000 a year. There is no limit to the number of £25 items MPs can claim for. If saving receipts is too difficult for MPs then the Tax Office should accept its too difficult for everyone. So anything spent under £25 should not need to be declared on tax returns.

Anyway, I cant imagine any MPs eating a greasy burger (well maybe Jackie Smith), they are more the luncheon club types

Whatever his/her views? You haven't thought it through, have you? You could be putting someone into office who will support everything that you abhor!

Vote for the 'Do Nothing Party' by all means, if you must, but don't vote for someone whose views you can't even establish unless, of course, you don't care what they decide in Parliament. At least with the 'Do Nothing Party' you know in advance that they'll do F... All and let people suffer.

p

I'd rather have the Do Nothing Party then a Do Everything In Our Power To **** It Up party anyday.

And yes, I'd rather vote in an independent who believes in fairies, rather then a monkey in a red suit!

edit to add, ahh just thought, they're both one of the same.

p

You obviously didn't read my post, or perhaps you didn't understand it. If you'd done both then you wouldn't have posted such an infantile reply.

However, going back to the latter part of your infantile reply, I am quite sure that if a genuine, upright citizen stood against the scum that generally put themselves forward for election these days, then there would be a landslide victory for the former.

Of course, you'll sit back and snigger into your horlicks, thinking how naive we all are. That that isn't 'the way it is'. It's 'the way it is' that has to change. Corruption needs rooting out, and starting with fiddling expenses is as good as anywhere.

... I am quite sure that if a genuine, upright citizen stood against the scum that generally put themselves forward for election these days, then there would be a landslide victory for the former.

Then get on with it or encourage someone else who's 'an upright citizen' to get on with it instead of blathering away pointlessly on the sidelines. There again, perhaps you, yourself, don't think that you'd be considered an upright person by others. All mouth, no trousers, aye?

p

Pat the Prat Primer finally exposed!

Only an idiot Labour MP or someone close to the Labour Party could possibly defend the fiddling of expenses by MP's.

Quote from the Sunday Telegraph...

"Every other individual who receives public money for personal expenses has to provide an account of it that taxpayers can inspect. And yet the Commons seems sure to vote infavour of granting itself a special exemption from the freedom of information laws that most of them trumpeted as providing an essential element of democratic accountability.

What possible justification can there befor MP's exempting themselves in this way?"

Strangely, the language Pat the Prat uses is very similar to a certain Harriet Harman. Have we been misled? Is Pat female? Not an oik such as Dolly Draper, or a fiddling lisping Ed Balls, but Harriet, our new Boudica.