House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Houses And Pizzas

Down Poole High Street tonight at seven with OH

Passed at least eight eating places. All empty or virtually empty. Some in darkness.

Finally into Pizza Express, which is completely full, and punters waiting for tables!

I'm clutching my two-for-the-price-of-one voucher*

Out to the Gents, past where the cooks are madly churning out pizzas; kitchen full of steam, like a racehorse having a piss on a cold morning.

The rushed waitress tells me its been like this since they started the 2 for 1 offer. Apparently every bugger in the place has got the same coupon as me. Voucher madhouse every night.

Lesson here for Estate Agents, surely?. Flog your houses 50% cheaper, you soapy bast***ds, and you'll have as many buyers as Pizza Express.

Job done.

* Available right now from Martin Lewis website. Just print one off.

Edited by juvenal

Passed at least eight eating places. All empty or virtually empty. Some in darkness.

Finally into Pizza Express, which is completely full, and punters waiting for tables!

Out to the Gents, past where the cooks are madly churning out pizzas; kitchen full of steam, like a racehorse having a piss on a cold morning.

The rushed waitress tells me its been like this since they started the 2 for 1 offer. Apparently every bugger in the place has got the same coupon as me. Voucher madhouse every night.

Lesson here for Estate Agents, surely?. Flog your houses 50% cheaper, you soapy bast***ds, and you'll have as many buyers as Pizza Express.

Job done.

Yes but are they making a profit ? If not it won't last long.

Remember the old saying "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity"

if they serve alcohol they will make a profit.

I think that is what they are counting on. Give away a £7 pizza, and the customers will buy a bottle of wine or a few beers.

Unfortunately for them, most couples that I see taking these offers have a pizza and one drink each, meaning that they walk out with a bill for under £15 including a tip.

They will have to turn the tables round very fast to make a profit out of that,.

They are probably making 70 % gross profit, after ingredient costs, on a pizza.

ie a £10 pizza costs £3 to make.

Staff are there, ovens are switched on, rent and rates have to be paid.

So 2 for 1 is £4 profit per couple having a £10 pizza each plus full wack on booze etc.

If they are full thay are laughin'.

booze is the key, even if most leave buying half a bottle,- there will always be the table or three that carrys on and runs up a bill. - these guys know what they're doing. crash off!

Yes but are they making a profit ? If not it won't last long.

Remember the old saying "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity"

I love pizza express and it's a wicked deal, two for one and the key is that the most expensive is free - I'm off this weekend.

Someone with some brains there, come on estate agents catch up.

Edited by Bring forth the guillotine

I love pizza express and it's a wicked deal, two for one and the key is that the most expensive is free - I'm off this weekend.

Someone with some brains there, come on estate agents catch up.

Yawn, hasnt this one been flogged enough already, its the muppet vendors and their unrealistic house price vanity that is causing the current problem, coupled with, to a slight degree, those few desperate agents keen not to miss out on the odd listing so agreeing to sell Mr Jones's two bedroom flat for the £150k he 'needs', when all the evidence suggests that the flat is worth tops £100k.

Believe you me those current overpriced vendors will have been battered to get a price drop or 5. The house price mentality in this country does not allow them to accept the current situation.

Job done.

Ah yes. This is a problem best dealt with by sitting down rather than standing up ...

Halving the price just wouldn't have the same effect. ;)

They are probably making 70 % gross profit, after ingredient costs, on a pizza.

ie a £10 pizza costs £3 to make.

Staff are there, ovens are switched on, rent and rates have to be paid.

So 2 for 1 is £4 profit per couple having a £10 pizza each plus full wack on booze etc.

I think the ingredients on most will be less than a quid - we make pizza at home now and then and even with tinned toms at 34p a tin (and one tin would do 2 pizza size express pizzas) and paying retail prices for the ingredients it doesn't cost a lot more than a quid to make 2 massive ones.

I think the ingredients on most will be less than a quid - we make pizza at home now and then and even with tinned toms at 34p a tin (and one tin would do 2 pizza size express pizzas) and paying retail prices for the ingredients it doesn't cost a lot more than a quid to make 2 massive ones.

"Fancy cheese on toast" as a Jasper Carrot sketch called pizza's.

Large pizza easily done for well under a quid.

On a similar note, I went into one of the Slug and Lettuce chain of pubs at the weekend, they've got a two for one offer.

Total bill of £12 with two drinks.

Which was still £1 MORE than we paid last week in Weatherspoons for similar meals - and Weatherspoons was full price.

The bill would have been £22 for 2 fancy burgers and two drinks - IN A PUB IN THE NORTH EAST!!!

On Saturday the 10 people in the Slug (I counted 5 serving staff, and you can add two chefs to that) were all clutching vouchers, whereas Weatherspoons was jam packed as normal.

With the Weatherspoons being right next door to the Slug and Lettuce, I don't see how the Slug willl manage with their pricing structure in a downturn.

Cheers...

On Saturday the 10 people in the Slug (I counted 5 serving staff, and you can add two chefs to that) were all clutching vouchers, whereas Weatherspoons was jam packed as normal.

Wetherspoons have cut their prices, they just don't both with a voucher.

With regards to prices of a pizza, you can disregard what you can make one for at home it will be much less than that because of the amount of produce somebody like Pizza express can purchase in bulk.

As said above their costs are already being incurred, they are already open so already have rent, bills to pay. The only additional cost would be waiting staff but I'm sure that is covered pretty quickly with an up turn in business.

Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, Prezzo, Zizzi, Bella Italia, Dominos........Why are there so many Pizza / Pasta restaurants?

The answer is because the ingredients are cheap........Most of the dish is cheap carbohydrate (pizza base or pasta) the topping is more expensive, but only small quantities are required. I would guess that the ingredients of your average pizza costs about 80p

Most restaurant work on a gross profit of 70% ie if the ingredients cost £3 you sell it for £11.50 (£10 + VAT). The food cost of 30% leaves a profit of 70%.

If your average pizza costs 80p and you sell it for £7.95 your GP is 88.5%............... Which is why there are so many Pizza restaurants. If you sell 2 for the price of one you GP is still 77% which is a better GP than I can make in my restaurant selling traditional meat and fish dishes at normal prices :(

What is the latest craze on the high street? Coffee shops like Costa, Starbucks, Nero etc.

Why? A shot of coffee costs around 10p and the milk costs around 15p. Call it a grande cappucino and charge £2.50.

Gross profit is 88%

You may well be right, I ran a restaurant years ago and I had a target GP, Takings - Ingredient Costs, of 70%, that is where I got the number from, thought it may be close to the Industry Standard.

Don't forget to take the VAT of your takings and costs

I thought the raw ingredients didn't in the main attract VAT - is it different if they are bought by the trade?

Whereas Pizza Express are more or less totally responsible for the price charged for a meal, that is not quite the same for an EA.

Most sellers are being continually reminded that in order to sell their price needs to come down, sadly the process of reality setting in takes a while.

Most agents take the view that it's worth having a place on their books and working on getting the price down, rather than watch it go to another agent who does just that, and sells the property some time later, who then gets all the fee!