House Price Crash Forum

Average Welsh House Price Falls By £20,000 In A Year

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-ne...91466-22687170/

THE average house price in Wales has plunged £20,000 in less than a year, official Government figures revealed yesterday.

The Department of Communities and Local Government said the average Welsh home was worth £150,123 at the end of November, the latest figures available. Just 10 months earlier, in January, it was worth £170,151.

The figures also showed the value of the average Welsh home dropped by 10.1% in the 12 months to November 2008 – considerably above the UK average fall of 8.6%, which itself dragged the average UK house price below £200,000.

The figures came on the day the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said the number of property transactions in Wales fell to a record low in December.

If only the tens of thousands of English incomers in North Wales shared your sentiment!

:lol:

Obviously they have a different set of criteria when choosing a place to live!

Either that or they all come from the NW England conurbation, in which case they probably thought North Wales seemed quite nice.

Think before you post, MT!!!

They won't come down here because, as we all know, we all speak Welsh, live in hovels and are covered in coal-dust. We live on lavabread, cockles and sheep droppings - you can't buy anything else in the shops.

Apart from that none of them will be prepared to work for 19K per annum, switch on the TV every night and get wall to wall programmes on the Welsh language, sheep, choirs and rugby. They will not want to put up with former Welsh rugby internationals held up as the intellectuals of the nation nor will they... I could go on and on.

Snipped so none of you know where Shangri-La is ;)

I missed them - did you post some pictures of the pretty bits of the coast on one of the 3 sunny days a year?

Got to own up, there are some lovely spots on the Welsh coast, as good as anywhere on a good day, and probably plenty more I don't know about.

However, there are other criteria to consider.

Climate. Food and Drink. Culture. Schools. Language. Available jobs. Available salaries. Prospects for offspring.

So, as I said, Wales should be cheap.

Wales has lovely coastline - shame really as it keeps lovely English Shropshire landlocked. But it is wet in Wales - the rain drops there before it reaches us and its wet here too. I have to admit I have been surprised that house prices in Wales seem to be staying relatively high given that there had always been a price differential between Shropshire / Herefordshire and Powys with the English side of the border being at least 10% higher.

Edited by olliegog2

I missed them - did you post some pictures of the pretty bits of the coast on one of the 3 sunny days a year?

Got to own up, there are some lovely spots on the Welsh coast, as good as anywhere on a good day, and probably plenty more I don't know about.

However, there are other criteria to consider.

Climate. Food and Drink. Culture. Schools. Language. Available jobs. Available salaries. Prospects for offspring.

So, as I said, Wales should be cheap.

Without taking the pxxs, many of the reasons stated above is why we live in England.

I'll feel better when I begin to see those drops in the asking prices around here.

I can't remember which figures were posted here the other week but I think my area was one of half a dozen in England and Wales that showed a monthly increase but annual decrease. Being a bit thick and all I couldn't quite work that out.

Obviously they have a different set of criteria when choosing a place to live!

Either that or they all come from the NW England conurbation, in which case they probably thought North Wales seemed quite nice.

Yeah, everyone living in places like Formby, Alderley Edge, Birkdale, Gayton, they all want to move to Rhyl and Shotton.

Yeah, everyone living in places like Formby, Alderley Edge, Birkdale, Gayton, they all want to move to Rhyl and Shotton.

Ironically, the vast majority of the social problems that exist in Rhyl is down to the mass inward migration of people from inner city Liverpool, Manchester and Stoke. Nearby Kinmel Bay is known as Little Manchester. Why be unemployed in a town when you can be unemployed by the sea......