House Price Crash Forum

Uk Economic Downturn Frightening !

leveller

HOLA441

link

I like the quote

"Many hard-pressed customers couldn't be seduced into spending."

Is that a problem? We're not being seduced into borrowing and spending?

Gordon's attempts at getting us into bed with him aren't working too well. Not enough free pints and paper bags in the world.

HOLA442

BBC very off message with this, Mandy will have to have words.

"The results highlight a frightening deterioration in the UK economic situation."

If after having a fundamentally strong economy we are in this position christ knows how bad things would have been with a highly indebted economy.

Your avatar is highly distracting :lol:

HOLA443
HOLA444

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7825213.stm

UK economy downturn 'frightening'

Business leaders warn of 'bleak' 2009

Business leaders have painted a bleak picture of the UK economy, with a survey suggesting a "frightening deterioration" towards the end of 2008.

The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) said its survey results were "awful" and the worst since it began in 1989.

Elsewhere, a separate report suggested it had been the worst December for UK retail sales in at least 14 years.

On 23 January, official figures are set to confirm the UK is in recession with six months of negative growth.

Nothing like putting the frighteners on the sheeple. But TBH, I think everyone is already terrified. I am hearing first hand reports from people I know about job losses so it must be hitting home now for everyone.

The Brpwn "lets borrow even more" plan has failed so it looks like a decade of austerity ahead. The good news? House prices will be laid to waste. Forget 50% down from peak--that is where it will be THIS year with several more years of drops ahead.

HOLA445

Wow, usually Auntie Beeb likes to sprinkle a few glimmers of hope in an article, but that is truly grim reading. The 'd' word is even mentioned twice.

The only positive point is "it was not worse than the 1980s", but not long ago they were saying it wouldn't be as bad as the problems in the 90's. If you ask me its going back to the 70s and civil unrest.

oh and Giggity Leveller. They are quite hypnotic.

Edited by Quagmire

HOLA446
HOLA447
link

I like the quote

"Many hard-pressed customers couldn't be seduced into spending."

Is that a problem? We're not being seduced into borrowing and spending?

Gordon's attempts at getting us into bed with him aren't working too well. Not enough free pints and paper bags in the world.

Are they for the Netto shoppers to wear?

HOLA448
Wow, usually Auntie Beeb likes to sprinkle a few glimmers of hope in an article, but that is truly grim reading. The 'd' word is even mentioned twice.

The only positive point is "it was not worse than the 1980s", but not long ago they were saying it wouldn't be as bad as the problems in the 90's. If you ask me its going back to the 70s and civil unrest.

Civil unrest seems on odds on certainty at the moment. Being a bailiff could become very dangerous work pretty soon.

I'm not frightened, I'm prepared.

Thanks HPC.

VMR.

Really

You have a private army at the ready to protect yourself?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Nothing like putting the frighteners on the sheeple. But TBH, I think everyone is already terrified. I am hearing first hand reports from people I know about job losses so it must be hitting home now for everyone.

The Brpwn "lets borrow even more" plan has failed so it looks like a decade of austerity ahead. The good news? House prices will be laid to waste. Forget 50% down from peak--that is where it will be THIS year with several more years of drops ahead.

The conversations I have been having over the last couple of months with friends and family, compared to a year ago, is quite different now.

Very few thought house prices would drop, let alone by the amount that they have / will, and now that's coupled with all the other bad news, sentiment is switching like a virus.

Your avatar is highly distracting :lol:

That's the idea, to remember what's important in life ;)