House Price Crash Forum

Just Been Given Three Month Warning From Employer

PopGun

Writing has been on the wall for six months now.

Trouble is, what other jobs are out there? Looking like we're going to have to force sell and move abroad. Nothing left in this country for the young.

I'm giving it six months to find something else (at a similar level) in Blighty. Then I'm going to insist on moving abroad for a while and see how it goes.

Sure other countries have there problems, but compared to the state of decline facing the UK, I think it will be worth the gamble. This year is going to be carnage, and I don't want us to be the last ones left.

Trouble is, what other jobs are out there? Looking like we're going to have to force sell and move abroad. Nothing left in this country for the young.

I'm giving it six months to find something else (at a similar level) in Blighty. Then I'm going to insist on moving abroad for a while and see how it goes.

Sure other countries have there problems, but compared to the state of decline facing the UK, I think it will be worth the gamble. This year is going to be carnage, and I don't want us to be the last ones left.

Does this just affect a small number of people or is this the whole workforce?

Apologies, bit confused by your post, have you been given a "three month warning" (whatever that is) by your employer, but you can demand a transfer out of this country, which you have written off, unless you can find something else? :blink:

Apologies, bit confused by your post, have you been given a "three month warning" (whatever that is) by your employer, but you can demand a transfer out of this country, which you have written off, unless you can find something else? :blink:

bump , until someone comes up with the correct explanation.

When companies want to make more than a certain number of redundancies (100 I think, could easily be wrong) They must notify the Df BERR and give the people 90 days notice that their positions are "under threat". Depending on your job you'll know whether you're gone or not. Bloodsucked obviously thinks there's no hope and needs to look elsewhere.

The way I read it, the insisting would be to the wife/husband/family ... moving abroad isn't so simple if it's more than just you, particularly if kids are involved and most particularly if you're planning to go on-spec rather than having a job and a home lined up.

Just Done the same thing. Made Redundant in August, notified June so gave it six months. No luck in blighty so I have fortunately found a great job in the Sunshine of Europe. Moving in a few weeks time. Family more accepting as we had little choice......maybe when I return I will appreciate UK PLC more.....!

Do your homework though and find a job before you go if possible or you will need wads of money (just in case)

Cheers

N.

I think I know exactly what he means. Everyone in our (automotive) factory was summoned to the canteen last July and told this place will be closing this year. You look at the collapsing economy and job market in freefall and wonder what the hell you are going to do.... When it's this bad, you consider things you'd never have imagined in other years, such as throwing in the UK towel and shipping out. Can't see me doing it, but it crosses my mind occasionally.

When companies want to make more than a certain number of redundancies (100 I think, could easily be wrong) They must notify the Df BERR and give the people 90 days notice that their positions are "under threat". Depending on your job you'll know whether you're gone or not. Bloodsucked obviously thinks there's no hope and needs to look elsewhere.

Yes more that 90 employees in an office. I am under threat too - and it has been made clear there is no chance. They can dismiss until end of 3 month period.

Yes more that 90 employees in an office. I am under threat too - and it has been made clear there is no chance. They can dismiss until end of 3 month period.

Use the time wisely and do lots of Research! There are still oportunities out there and if you get a decent redundancy payment it will make a good fall back amount if things do not work out! Do it with your eyes open and it will be an amazing experience!

1992. My fixed-term research contract at a UK university ended. Recession time, academia was suffering (torygraph reported an 11% y-o-y decline in the overall number of academic research jobs).

Looked around, expecting to find something in a country where I speak the language (I spoke three European languages at the time). Ended up in Italy, where I had to learn the language from scratch ...

Nowadays I work for an employer 8 timezones away.

I'd advise anyone in need of a job ... don't restrict your search by geography, except insofar as you care where you live. For example, I would never want to live in southeast England, but have no problem with working remotely for companies there, and did so several times in my ten years of self-employment.

Apologies, should of been clearer.

Both me and the wife work for the same er financial company. They announced (by a post on the Intranet - nice) that they're planning to shut the entire site down in our area (400 jobs at risk).

The 3 month warning is our 90 day consultancy period. After that, the payments kick in and we will both be on our way.

I indeed plan to use the time wisely, and will research my options. I've posted before about moving to France (wife lived there for a year and can speak good French). More for a better way of life then career.

This country is fecked. Rampant HPI and inflation has created the two household income in order to survive. Thing is unlike our parents (were one parent went out to compete for work), it instead demands twice as many people to now compete in a job market were half the jobs available as there used to be 15/20 years ago.

Couple in low/part time workers being state subsidised (tax credits) and excessive immigration, only a complete moron would fail to realise that this was never going to be sustainable in an economy dominated by a pointless service sector.

Edited by bloodsucked

Both me and the wife work for the same er financial company.

This country is fecked. Rampant HPI and inflation has created the two household income in order to survive.

Damn the Agricultural Industry which allowed this to flourish!

No, hang on. . . Damn the Pottery Industry which actively encouraged this for short term gain!

Wait, I've got it . . . Damn the Carpentry Industry which has benefited from this surge and overinflated itself.

No, you're right - it's the fault of the poor and immigrants.

Rampant HPI and inflation has created the two household income in order to survive. Thing is unlike our parents (were one parent went out to compete for work), it instead demands twice as many people to now compete in a job market with half the jobs available as there used to be 15/20 years ago.

I think two household income had become well established before the housing boom. It would have been one of the reason for a further push on house inflation upwards as lending multiples were also increased to 2-salary mortgages. With current high house prices and 100% mortgages it is almost necessary for both couples to work full time. However, with a decent deposit and lower house prices, in 3 years+ time things will be very different. We are hoping for our 1st house to cost about £150k in 3yrs time (currently these houses are about £225k), we'll have a 25% deposit and mortgage repayments @5% will be approx £650pm. That should give plenty of flexibility for amount we have to work. My sister and her boyfriend bought mid-2006 and pay £1150pm on a £190k mortgage. Our mortgage should be less than theirs by £500 and we'll have a nicer home. That's what you get for being patient and not getting sucked into bubbles

Couple in low/part time workers being state subsidised (tax credits) and excessive immigration, only a complete moron would fail to realise that this was never going to be sustainable in an economy dominated by a pointless service sector.

I could never understand the service sector. I worked for 7 years in IT and saw so many pointless jobs being done by people, paid silly salaries. At the end of the day most people in service sector have no 'real' skills at anything other than sitting at desks and pushing a few emails around and talking ****** in never ending and useless meetings. I used to fell pretty unsatisfied with the work. Eventually I got out and went back to college to learn something useful...and to sit out the crash!

Edited by munimula

Damn the Agricultural Industry which allowed this to flourish!

No, hang on. . . Damn the Pottery Industry which actively encouraged this for short term gain!

Wait, I've got it . . . Damn the Carpentry Industry which has benefited from this surge and overinflated itself.

No, you're right - it's the fault of the poor and immigrants.

Once again you've proved your idiocy.

No it isn't their fault, both are contributing factors but innocent pawns used to steer us on our current course to oblivion.

Was it the cockle pickers fault most of them drowned? Or the criminal gangs that brought them over here in the first place to exploit them?

I think two household income had become well established before the housing boom. It would have been one of the reason for a further push on house inflation upwards as lending multiples were also increased to 2-salary mortgages. With current high house prices and 100% mortgages it is almost necessary for both couples to work full time. However, with a decent deposit and lower house prices, in 3 years+ time things will be very different. We are hoping for our 1st house to cost about £150k in 3yrs time (currently these houses are about £225k), we'll have a 25% deposit and mortgage repayments @5% will be approx £650pm. That should give plenty of flexibility for amount we have to work. My sister and her boyfriend bought mid-2006 and pay £1150pm on a £190k mortgage. Our mortgage should be less than theirs by £500 and we'll have a nicer home. That's what you get for being patient and not getting sucked into bubbles

I hope you are right. I wish more people in this country had this outlook. :)

I could never understand the service sector. I worked for 7 years in IT and saw so many pointless jobs being done by people, paid silly salaries. At the end of the day most people in service sector have no 'real' skills at anything other than sitting at desks and pushing a few emails around and talking ****** in never ending and useless meetings. I used to fell pretty unsatisfied with the work. Eventually I got out and went back to college to learn something useful...and to sit out the crash!

Sadly, you're pretty much spot on.

I still keep in touch with people who still (somehow) cling on to the employer who ditched me four years ago. Consultancy company who feast off public service contracts. Nearly everyone has 'Manager' in their title, yet have no staff to manage!!?

Very strange.

Edited by bloodsucked

I still keep in touch with people who still (somehow) cling on to the employer who ditched me four years ago. Consultancy company who feast off public service contracts. Nearly everyone has 'Manager' in their title, yet have no staff to manage!!?

Very strange.

My experience is that anybody that becomes a manager is the absolute worst type of person for that job. The can't manage but they end up there because they can't actually do anything else. They have an incredible ability to talk about nothing in particular and that's it.

The company I used to work for is full of what I call deadwood now. Anybody with any motivation or ability left for better jobs or simply got bored with the industry and changed careers like me.

My company also had many public sector contracts and the company just used us to suck money out of those contracts. I'm not joking when I say I've spent a year on one site and literally done no work but the company was billing me out the whole time and there were many of us there. Criminal probably.

I found out recently that they've just told employees that they need to cut over 3,000 jobs in next two years. 650 took voluntary redundancy before xmas, they are just about to start CR proceedings. Glad I'm not having to go through that now.

My experience is that anybody that becomes a manager is the absolute worst type of person for that job. The can't manage but they end up there because they can't actually do anything else. They have an incredible ability to talk about nothing in particular and that's it.

The company I used to work for is full of what I call deadwood now. Anybody with any motivation or ability left for better jobs or simply got bored with the industry and changed careers like me.

My company also had many public sector contracts and the company just used us to suck money out of those contracts. I'm not joking when I say I've spent a year on one site and literally done no work but the company was billing me out the whole time and there were many of us there. Criminal probably.

I found out recently that they've just told employees that they need to cut over 3,000 jobs in next two years. 650 took voluntary redundancy before xmas, they are just about to start CR proceedings. Glad I'm not having to go through that now.

Sounds like the same place :P