Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum


New Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About dizzy

  • Rank
    HPC Poster
  1. Rent on my new property is >20% less than rent paid by previous tenants
  2. Thanks all. The order was for payment in full. My LL has yet to oblige although he still has some time before the deadline. I had assumed that there would be some discussion of the repayment schedule at the hearing but when I quizzed the judge about it, he said it was for me to sort out. Thus I hope I will have the opportunity to set this should my LL not pay up. Very much thinking of setting up an order for information if he misses the deadline.
  3. Court judgment - the judge ruled in our favour in full! All of the claim including deposit, repayment of money for cleaning, interest and costs. My LL didn't bother to turn up, although he had notified the court that he wasn't going to be there, relying on his existing "evidence". The judge was quite scathing about the LL's claims and complimented me on the documentation and its presentation. He said it was very clear that we'd been good tenants. So that's half the battle over......now for the tricky part of getting the money back!
  4. Well, I've sent him a copy of the hearing letter, by recorded delivery, along with the copy of the hearing documentation that I have to send him. Unfortunately, I think there's a high probability that you'll be proved right. At least I would have the satisfaction(?) of knowing he was telling porky-pies and I doubt the court would like it either.
  5. Finally!!! A hearing date scheduled in a couple of weeks! The court had the cheek to demand all documentation within a few days, after keeping me waiting for months!!! And my suspicions about the mediation were confirmed - complete waste of time. :angry: They couldnt contact my LL and eventually gave up after much pestering from me to get on with it. Still, roll on the hearing......I wonder if my LL will bother to turn up!
  6. Update - the judge instructed us to mediate. Waste of time in my opinion and we are still waiting to hear something from the court, six weeks after sending the forms.
  7. Well, I received the allocation questionnaire and it was returned to the court several weeks ago. Nothing back so far. Any idea how long it takes before a court date is confirmed? I guess it all depends on the local court and how busy they are. The allocation questionnaire asks for your availability over the next 4 months! Hope it doesn't take that long to arrange a date!
  8. Against my better judgment, I've decided not to accept the offer and to dispute the rest of the claim. It's not a common sense or unemotional decision and it wasn't easy to make. The disputed part of the claim is only a small fraction of the whole but, as I said previously, for me this is about both the money and the principle. I'm not being greedy, I don't feel greedy - I just wasn't prepared to accept some of the rubbish the LL wrote on the claim form. Besides, I don't think he's got a leg to stand on. I've written to the LL and tried to persuade him to drop the dispute. Not sure if that wi
  9. I put in a cheeky offer of £150k on a £210k asking price for the property I was renting because I knew the landlord was in trouble with his repayments and it had been on the market about 9 month. It was rejected as I expected but at least I know the EA passed it on. About six months later it was sold for £200k.
  10. I need to give this some more thought but I guess the sensible, unemotional decision is to accept the £800. Regarding the rate of repayment and the LL's financial situation (according to the admission form): 1) LL claims to have been unemployed for over a year. 2) LL claims his bank account is overdrawn. 3) LL claims to be lodging. 4) LL claims to be getting £50/week from others. 5) LL claims to have three loans requiring about £100/month. 6) LL also claims that he is currently trying to recover money owed to him by his company which is being held by customs and this is the reason he can
  11. Received the documents from the court. My claim was for £850 plus fees, interest and costs. 1) LL has admitted to £800, being equal to the deposit. 2) LL has disputed £50 which it was agreed he would pay us for cleaning when we first moved in. 3) LL has offered to pay £50/month. 4) LL disputes £50 because he claims he already "gave £50 from the rent direct to the agent" and also (rather confusingly) states that he only "received £750 one month instead of £800" for the rent. So which was it??! In fairness, he has always claimed that he gave the money to the agent. However, the agent says
  12. Thanks for the pat on the back Chris_86 but unless I see 100% of the amount owed back in my hand, I´m not going to be 100% satisfied. If it´s a derisory offer we are almost back to square one except that we know that good service has been made. As I understand it, a part admission can even include a counterclaim. So as happy? says, I will just have to wait to see what offer is on the table. Does anyone know who is responsible for payment of the court fee, if the defendant is only admitting part of the claim? Is this split between claimant and defendant? For example, it would seem a bit harsh
  13. Well, have to admit wasnt expecting this. Just had notification that LL has part admitted to the claim Quite what this means, I dont know. I guess it could almost mean anything in terms of the financial value of the claim but his defence will make very interesting reading nonetheless! I suppose that at least I now know that the claim has been served and he has not fallen off the edge of a cliff! Although there still maybe address related issues down the line, depending on his circumstances and whether he has notified the court of his actual address or not.
  14. Happy?, just a point of confusion here. You say that service may not be made at the address as the defendant may no longer be there and without good service judgement cannot be entered. However, in your earlier post, you state that the court would consider the address he gave for the contract (i.e the same address) as effective for service. My feeling is that it ought to be effective for service as you are supposed to be able to use the last known address of the defendant. Also, the advice from a solicitor I consulted was that the court would think it a feeble excuse if he argued that he had
  15. Well I guess that depends on the claimant. Personally, for me it's about both. On one side, it's a big hole in the pocket to lose the best part of a grand. On the other, would I sit back and do nothing even if I only had a small chance of seeing the money? No, probably not. I want my ex LL to face up to his actions, to know that I'm chasing him, to think twice about doing it to the next victim and, if all else fails, to get a CCJ so that he struggles to get a mortgage for his latest BTL. True, I'd be much more satisfied if I saw my deposit again but I know there's a risk I won't. I weighed up
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.