Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jugador

  1. Interesting, and welcome. Although if they'd only tax the big companies like Vodafone, it would be much fairer.
  2. Well, having been called out on it [not reading it] I am now going to work through it.
  3. Don't know yet. I have the choice of selling and putting the money in the bank and watching if devalue, and possibly get nabbed by Her Majesty's. Or I can gamble in shares, etc. Or I can rent it out and use the money to pay the rent on the home I am currently living in. The latter seems a legit choice. No?
  4. I am not suggesting that they can escape CGT at all. I know the thread is hundreds of pages but you can scan my contributions in one minute, and you won't find that I have said that.
  5. "tip into" me all you like pal, water off the proverbial's I've read enough of this forum to have guessed you'd be on me on day 1, but every forum has one. I joined to PM a couple of people and made the mistake of posting, i won't be here long
  6. I had no idea that was possible. Good news that they've closed that hole!
  7. Well I am resident and Spain and pay more tax there than I did in the UK. Not sure about Malta.
  8. If you're talking about a specific person and their circumstances I am not aware. I was making the point that anybody can up and go and be a resident elsewhere, which is pretty obvious, I know. Although, it doesn't mean they walk away from their tax responsibilities, of course.
  9. He would be resident in the UK then Malta and it would be handled under the split year rules. I really can't be bothered disappearing any further down this hole. The fact remains, if a UK resident with UK assets wants to "just up and declare themselves resident of Malta when all their assets are in the UK" then they can. Which was my only point. Yes, HMRC will still have an interest in them, of course, it was never argued that they wouldn't. The link you provided contains exactly what I expected it to. One country, the one in which you spend more than 6 months, will claim the right to tax your world wide assets and income, whilst your home country (and any other in which you have worked and lived in in the past) may continue to have an interest in your assets and income there. As the document, fortunately their are agreements between countries which make it all clear, avoiding people paying taxes on the same income twice. Malta is one of them. Despite being wrong I have successfully navigated the whole process on more than one occasion, involving both EU and non-EU countries. Filling out all the required forms with HRMC up-front eased it all, but then I wasn't trying to dodge any taxes.
  10. Nope, not missed a thing. Your breakdancer who passes himself off as resident in Malta is in fact a resident in Malta and only in Malta, and is therefore non-resident in the UK, and everywhere else. HMRC will not determine that he is also tax resident in the UK, they will determine that he is tax resident in Malta but is required to pay UK tax on his UK income. Back to the original point, you, me, anybody who resides in the UK can in fact "just up and declare ourselves resident of Malta when all your assets are in the UK", by moving there and staying over the qualifying time. It's also wise to let HRMC know and fill in their form if necessary. It's certainly true to say that what aspiring tax exiles think is irrelevant, agreements between the countries decide what they pay where.
  11. The timing of when you must register and how many days you have to be there differ by country, but in the case of EU countries it is clear and agreed upon. Using Spain as an example, if you spend 183 days there you are considered tax resident whether you like it or not. If the authorities find out you have been living there they will come after you. And when they do, they will be in touch with HRMC who will actively assist them. HMRC will concur with the Spanish authorities, the individual involved actually has no choice whatsoever.
  12. Yes, correct. As I said, you'll pay in both countries. And, in the case of income from property rental, the UK will take the tax on that. The point I was making is that it is possible to "just up and declare yourself resident [of another EU country]". Although it does of course involve living there.
  13. Hi, I think in fact you can, and it's actually unavoidable if you want to spend the majority of your time elsewhere. My experience is with Spain, and after 183 days there in any calendar year, then Spain is your place of residence for that year. The fact that you have assets in the UK makes no difference, you are resident and should then fill in the Spanish tax forms declaring your world wide assets and income, and they'll then decide what you pay. In the case of Spain, somebody with assets in property in the UK would end up paying some tax in both countries.
  14. Hi, new here so I thought this was one I might answer. I am here because I am thinking of either selling or renting out my home, so I wanted to see what the speculation is re the outlook for a rise or fall.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.