Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Beagleclarke

New Members
  • Content Count

    13
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Beagleclarke

  • Rank
    HPC Newbie
  1. Are they considering your offer? Obviously my offer wasn't considered all that bad or I feel they would have rejected it by now!
  2. This is good advice. Thank you. I do have a conveyancing solictor already lined up. She's the solictor who handles all my FIL's property exchanges so she has a good relationship with the family. The EA and vendor are aware that I'm good to go, though I'll emphasise that I'm not in a rush either.
  3. I imagine you could well be right. I plan to leave it till Monday and then let him know I'm looking elsewhere. I am anyway, this is true, but I would really like this one.
  4. Apparently the other person's house is on the market but not under offer or anything. This might seem silly, but do you think it's worth offering to fill the oil tank, paying for the garden to be done, and to take care of the house clearance, this kind of thing that's a hassle that the vendors still need to handle? If they accept my offer of course. Just to make the transaction as smooth as possible for them. I'm thinking that we have 4 people in their 60's here who live far from the property for whom taking care of it is a pain in the bum and the winter is on the way. Covering these kind of out of pocket expenses for them now might sway them in my direction? I'd be basically saying "take my offer and you're guaranteed a quick sale plus you don't have to be out of pocket for garden maintenance and heat etc while you wait for closing." That vs an extra (at the moment non proceedable) 5k that might never materialise or that might take so long to come that you've already spent 5k in insurance and bills. These things would also be to my benefit if I'm taking possession of the house eventually. Just a thought about how to make my offer more attractive without resorting to upping my offer yet...
  5. I know his interests are with the vendor, but he has no other offers on the table so I thought he'd be keen to close the deal. He certainly Let me know that he thinks my offer is stronger than the competing offer.
  6. I'm not in a hurry to move in that we aren't under pressure at all. No kids or anything and not much in the way of furniture etc to store. We are staying with family for as long as we need. The estate agent has made it clear to me that he thinks I'm the better option, but then the other EA is the one who has the 'other offer', if it exists, so 'my' EA would be gunning for me in order to get the commission (if I understand it properly?) If they were lying about the other offer wouldn't they pretend it wasn't subject to sale?
  7. I did call the EA, by the way. He said he'd heard nothing yet, but he took that as a positive sign. They are living all over the place so I understand it taking them longer to all get together to discuss it.
  8. The other offer is 'subject to sale'. Should I not leave my offer as is unless they accept the other offer and then perhaps offer my 3k limit more? If the other bidder is waiting to sell a house they could be waiting for some time. In the meantime the vendors are having to agree on who will go and stay in the house this week, and put oil in the tank, and top up the electric etc (they obviously care about keeping it in good condition as they have been doing this, remember they are in their 60's and live all over the place, not locally). I am a newbie so I could definitely be wrong, but for me I'd prefer 5k less for a quick sale than wait for an interminable amount of time on a subject to sale deal and, in the meantime, be down money on insurance, heat, light, etc on an empty house? I could well be naive, as I am new to the whole thing, but that doesn't seem like a good deal to me all things taken into consideration. We can complete as soon as it is humanly possible to do so. We have a solictor engaged and are ready to go.
  9. Hello, I've put an offer of £140000 on a house that's been on the market for four months (asking price £169950 but no upstairs bathroom and very dated interior in a relatively slow moving rural area where prices tend to drop before they sell). The house is being sold by the children (all in their 60's) of an elderly woman who died. All the heirs are scattered to the four winds - none of them live locally to the house - so I think they might be keen to get it off their hands and save on travelling over to the house to turn on the heat etc as the winter sets in. The EA certainly hinted at this. By the way, there are two EAs on the case - is this good or bad for me? Would they be in competition or working together? I am chain free and I have £80,000 in cash and £60000 mortgage in principle. Someone else put an offer of £145000 on while the vendor was considering my offer. Their offer is 'subject to sale'. The vendor is still considering my offer, I'm not sure if they've rejected the other offer or are considering it too (would I be told if it had been rejected?). I'm not buying as an investment or anything like that, I want to set up home as I plan to start a family soon and my MIL is terminally ill, so we need to get out of rented so she can come and stay with us as we are her carers. I'm new to the property market in terms of buying, my cash deposit comes from an inherited house that I sold privately to a family member, so all of this is quite new to me. Should I be worried and consider upping my offer? Or is a subject to sale offer not really competition for a quick transaction even with a 5k difference? I made my offer 5 days ago. Is this a long time to wait for a response? Or this this a positive sign? I don't have much more money to throw in, perhaps another 3k at a stretch. Is there anything else I ca do, besides upping my offer, to make us appear more attractive or to sweeten the deal? I'm not sure as I really am new to this game. Any advice appreciated!
  10. Just to let you know, I have out an offer in. Another person has also made an offer 5k higher than mine, but theirs is subject to sale while we are good to go now. The family are considering it, so fingers crossed!
  11. Thanks a million for your advice. I think I'll go in at £130000, as I can easily list how and why that figure is fair, and then see what happens. I've been living in old houses my whole life, and Ive been renting a similar sized house that was built around the same time for the past 4 years so I think I'm acclimatised to the higher heating costs. It's worth it to me anyway, as I can't see myself living in a new build. Thank you!
  12. Thanks for your advice! I have been looking into this very carefully, all the work was absolutely done properly. It was funded by a conservation grant (which are very closely monitored as you probably know) and I got the plans from the DOE, which I've had an architect friend of my dad's look over. All completely above board an listed appropriate down to the smallest detail. This was all structural work, new roof, re pointing etc and it was all done exactly as it had been done when built so no worries there. When I say it needs work done I don't mean it NEEDS it. You could live without a bathroom upstairs and you could live with a 70's kitchen and very dated decor, but I don't think many people would. It's a functional, neat, well cared for house, but it doesn't have practical space for a modern family (I.e no bath upstairs) because the lady lived there for 95 years. It's a solid house, it's just a bit weird in layout and style. Rateable value is £180000, but rates are calculated at 2005 prices which seems a bit weird to me in general. I was thinking of going in at £130000 with a view to capping it at £140000 absolute max. Does this seem too cheeky? Or should I start even lower? By my calculations when you take out costs for updating generally and putting in a new bathroom plus plumbing for three new radiators and a boiler £140000 is a very fair price, but of course they may not agree as you say!
  13. I'm a first time buyer with a large cash deposit (£80k) in Northern Ireland. I've seen a house I like in a rural area I'd be interested in living in. The house has been on the market for at least 6 months, as that's how long I've been looking and it was there when I started looking. It's on at £169950 with no drops in price yet. It's a strangely laid out, quite old, house in a slow moving area (houses are sitting on the market for a year or more here). The house is listed and in good structural condition (it had a lot of work done recently). It belonged to an old lady who passed away. Her children (all in their 60s) are selling the house. As I said, it's weirdly laid out, with a lot of rooms (4 rec and 5 beds) but they're all very small. It has no upstairs bathroom, in fact no bath at all, only a downstairs shower room. It also does not have radiators in two bedrooms and the downstairs shower room. I think many couples or families would be put off by the impractical space and lack of a bath etc, but these things don't bother me at all and I like the quirky vibe of the place. It's similarly priced to other similar houses in the same area that are more practical and don't need as much updating or need a bathroom installed etc. I was thinking that my large cash deposit, no chain, strange layout, need to install upstairs bath and toilet (inc plumbing), need to install 3 new radiators (inc plumbing and possibly new boiler to cope with increased workload), and the apparent lack of interest elsewhere would put me in a good position to offer well below asking. The estate agent himself pointed out that we would need to put in a bathroom and he also hinted that the family are "keen to draw a line under it", which makes me think there is definitely room for manoeuvre. How low is reasonable to start offering without being silly? I realise that there are no hard rules, but I'd appreciate any advice or guidance as this is my first time making an offer. I'd appreciate any advice!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.