Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Helenish

New Members
  • Content Count

    12
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Helenish

  • Rank
    HPC Newbie
  1. HI, can anyone tell me whether the town of Lingfield means it gets Gatwick noise, I assume it does but first hand knowledge would be great. Thanks, H
  2. In the past 4 months we have used http://www.fwdlaw.com/ for two separate sales, they have been great and around GBP 400 for each property all included (depends on individual property details, but we were getting other quotes in excess of 800) Absolutely brilliant price and I believe their purchase fees are very competitive too. We checked they were registered with the Law Society and then went ahead and had absolutely no problems. If you contact them through http://www.compareandconvey.co.uk/ (do the quote thing and they'll appear) then they include a unique online checklist which you can access where your sale is at at anytime. Totally recommend them!
  3. Time in the market is better than trying to time the market. You are in a strong position (providing you can sell your current home for the amount you estimate.) If your heart is set on moving and you intend to be in your new home for many years, go for it, waiting will not make much difference, crash or no crash....
  4. Wow, I didn't know that Tim, thanks for the heads up! I wonder then why they have re-marketed the property as a single lot after originally trying to sell it as two, albeit on the single title.....mmmmmmm, food for thought. I guess offering the land seperate was a ploy to advertise under a certain threshold but then make up the difference by adding the £50k for the land. The owner works insuring insurance companies so he aint no dummy......
  5. Tru dat. Think we are going to sit tight for now and see what unfolds after todays interest rate announcement....if someone else buys it so be it, we may negotiate again after the spring bounce.
  6. You may as well ask for a reduction for the damp, particularly if her response wont change things either way, you've got nothing to lose. I believe things that require specialist DIY to remove should be included. When we bought our last house they wanted extra for the conservatory fanlights, absurd in my opinion.
  7. 888 that does sound nasty for a good reason! I guess I am musing out loud and was looking for constructive debate, not an attack on my business acumen. There are options and we are weighing them up, as I have set out. Right now we can do absolutely nothing but sit tight in a rental with cash on fixed deposit or we can take a punt to move on to the next phase of our lives and that is the rub. Let me simplify my line of questioning which is really related to the property under discussion not our choice of lifestyle change, Do people think they are asking too much????
  8. Let me clarify the tracker rate until May thing.....HSBC are holding our original rate from our previous property until May (6 months after sale date) which is 0.5 above BOE lifetime tracker.... We could afford 5 or 6% in the long run by giving up a lot of luxuries and maybe a few necessities! (to go with the one's everyone seems to be forfeiting at the moment!) I hear your words of caution though! Cheers.
  9. Hi all! I am looking for a crystal ball really but considered opinions really appreciated...this is going to be a little long winded.... We are looking for a house to live in with at least 2 acres of land to set up a hospitality business in the Ashdown Forest area. In October 2010, we offered £100,000 under the asking price on a house very near the forest within a pricey area. They were asking a princely sum for the house plot plus extra 50k for land which was already on the same title. It had previously been under offer for (allegedly) close to the full asking price (for both 'plots') but following a survery the offer was withdrawn. The asking price was not reduced in response to this. From what we saw without survery we felt the house needed re-wiring, reglazing, partial reroofing and other non essential cosmetic improvements like new carpets, freshening up of the walls etc. The house is not listed yet parts date from an 18thC coaching house with shabby weatherboard additions and a knackered tennis court and barn. The gardens in the main house plot are simply stunning and would take many years to create and the house is historic and quirky and beautifully situated, both imperative for our business requirements. The owners refused our offer and said they were going to apply for planning permission to split the title to sell the extra land with dilapidated barn seperately from the house. Now it's March and they have just moved agents and relisted the property as a whole for the original asking price plus the extra hidden £50K for the barn, effectively marketing it at £50K more, we can only surmise they didn't get planning permission to split the title and are still holding out for top wedge for the entire property, still at £100K over what we offered. This property is one of those I can't get out of my head and can envisage living there long term and creating the business we have been plotting for the past 4 years. We are also finding the properties trickling on to the spring market with our strict criteria are out of our price range or the land is unsuitable for our business. Apart from our belief that this house is overpriced, (also Zoopla estimates the property value as lower than our offer price) - with stamp duty, the obvious repairs and whatever a structural survey reveals we can't afford it at their asking price. It would need that 100K invested into it anyway. Are these our only options and what do forum users think we should do; Hold our nerve and hope that their new agent doesn't get them a sale then approach them and register our continued interest at our original offer in another month or two. Do we up our offer by say £20K now and see if they'll bite. They are obviously not in a hurry to sell and can afford to wait so accept we can't afford this property and move on. Ackowledge this property is perfect for our business requirements and keep offering until they accept then limp along in the house until the business is established. Our current situation - Since our original offer in October we have sold our family home and my old flat from before I married. We have a large deposit plus HSBC will hold our fantastic tracker mortgage rate until May, we can afford a 2/3% rise in rates at a push. In two weeks we move into flexible but expensive rental accomodation, all of our stuff is in storage and we are able to move quickly. Many thanks for taking the time to read and for any advice! H
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.