Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

BrynJ

New Members
  • Content Count

    16
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About BrynJ

  • Rank
    HPC Newbie
  1. How about knowingly break the law, by not taking out mandatory insurance - oh, and by forging a legal document. As Rt. Hon. Lord Mandelson said, if he isn't a wind-up merchant, he's definitely an idiot of the highest order.
  2. I'm literally dumbfounded by your original post, and the above. Car insurance isn't comparable to private healthcare insurance - it isn't something you optionally take out to protect yourself. If you hit a pedestrian, how do you expect them to claim on their own insurance?! What are you suggesting? That people should choose to take out (or not) some all encompassing insurance policy to protect them from any eventuality - and that should they be injured (or worse) by a third party / or because of some negligence of some sort, that they have no recourse if they have elected not to have taken such insurance? In my opinion if you can afford the insurance but are choosing not to pay the premium (and worse still, are actively taking steps to fraudulantly cover yourself), then you are scum - plain and simple.
  3. Not a problem. I'd also encourage you to look at the HSBC for the best fixed rate deals - I did a lot of shopping around, and I managed to get a 4.69% 5 year fixed rate, with a £599 fee.
  4. I've just obtained a five year fix from the HSBC, and yes, you can sort of defer the actual purchase - up to 6 months at the HSBC. However, you would need to know exactly what size mortgage you require, and also pay the fees in advance. Actually, the way it was worded to me, as I have a house in mind, was if the sale fell through, then I would have 6 months to find another property - so perhaps the conditions aren't that flexible.
  5. It seems like an increase in asking price would point to only one thing - hopeful vendors and EAs who are still not willing to price realistically for fear of offending the home owner.
  6. A quick update for interested parties - we saw a couple of fresh properties today (that is, ones on the market for less than a month) and we've put a a lowball offer of £115k on one of them - it's an extended 3 bedroom semi-detached with garage on the market at £150k. It's currently owned by a builder company, who accepted it as a part-ex on a new build - so I'm quite happy to play hardball and see how we go.
  7. I hear what you're saying, but the irony is that if you exclude any properties in Chester on RightMove that were listed over 6 months ago you could almost pick your house by the toss of a coin
  8. Very true - and I think I'm with the majority on the board here that think they will go down again. I just wish I had a crystal ball to see when and by how much though On the plus side, when looking at the lower end of the market, you do stand to lose less - 20% of £100k is easier to stomach than 20% of £250k.
  9. I do indeed have a nice deposit to lay down. And yes, I am referring to a repayment mortgage - I wouldn't touch an interest only. Circumstances are such now that I know a rental in the region what's available in Chester would quickly eat in to what I have saved. In reality, if I was to hold off moving, it would make the most sense to remain where I am - personal circumstances would make that awkward, but not impossible. The argument for renting is a relatively moot one then, but I can see how it would work well for those that would end up with a comparable mortgage to rental cost. I have no idea what STR is by the way - care to fill me in? Thanks!
  10. I really appreciate all the replies and advice, thank you. I hear what you're saying about renting, but I'm really not sure the economics would work for me. At the moment, where I live (in a tiny town in North Wales), I pay less than £300 per month rent for a 1 bed flat - with council tax and utilities included. It looks like I'd be looking at at least £500 per month for a rental in a decent area of Chester (I see a mid-terrace in Hoole on Rightmove for £550 pcm), plus council tax and utilities. With my deposit and the property price range I'm looking at, my mortgage would be in the region of £225 to £250 per month. If I was to rent for a year, then that's at least £6000 from my deposit (assuming I couldn't save any more) - alternatively, if I can find the right property at the right deal, after a year I'd have paid off some of the mortgage and had more ready cashflow. Am I missing anything obvious there? Steve - I don't think I am the Bryn you're thinking of, sorry to disappoint
  11. I may try to hang on a bit longer, but it would be a major inconvenience if I wasn't moved by the end of September. Hmm, decisions decisions! In any event, I won't be paying what I consider to be over the odds for any property. I'll see how things play out when the time comes to make an offer.
  12. Yes, I'm determined not to get attached to a property and will try to keep my options open. Ideally I'd like to be moved within the next 2 months, but something tells me that waiting that time out will pay dividends. We'll see how flexible these sellers are. Part of the problem is that there aren't that many properties on the market in the right area and within my price range. On the flipside, there aren't that many buyers in my position either - it's all swings and roundabouts really. [Edit] - here's a great chart to see what the Chester property market is currently looking like http://www.houseladder.co.uk/House_Prices/..._L10638_SLP_PG6 - look at the nosedive of sold properties per month. Incredible really - and surely not unique to Chester.
  13. Nice advice. I do fully intend to play the Perfect Buyer card when putting forward an offer. I was even told by the EA that the vendor of the first property would likely accept an offer in the region £130k - which to me translates as the vendor will sell around £120k, at least. Then again, the vendor themselves said that they had received 3 offers, but rejected all of them - which might mean the seller is really not that bothered about moving. Hmm, I think a lot of the bargaining is not just directly related to the current property market, but also how keen (read: desperate) the seller is.
  14. I guess you could say I'd be mildly embarassed by an offer around the £115k, so perhaps that is a good starting point. As a first time buyer with no finance troubles, I assume I must be in the best possible position - particularly as both these properties are advertised as "no onward chain"? In the current very uncertain times, I would imagine a seller would do anything to avoid a what could be the lengthy delay (and fragility) of a chain - with the distinct possibility of another downard turn in the market before the transaction might complete. Like many others, I think the reality check has still not hit home for sellers.
  15. Good suggestion. For the first property, the average price on that street (keeping in mind they are all identical ex-council semis) was around £150k in 2007, and £120k in 2006, 2005 and 2004 (appears to be little variation during that time?). Having said that, the property I'm looking at does require work - new kitchen, new bathroom, floor coverings, possibly some plaster skimming. On the second property, it's in a cul-de-sac with varying properties (detached, semis and some bungalows) and the last semi sold for £130k in Feb 2009, a detached in late 2006 for £205k, then the next properties were in 2004, both semis at £93k and 125k. This one wouldn't need anything spending on it really, save for new carpets. All above prices from houseprices.co.uk (the site you linked to seemed to require registration to view the individual prices).
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.