Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

JamieF

New Members
  • Content Count

    17
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About JamieF

  • Rank
    HPC Newbie
  1. Maybe we're somewhat different, but we'll have kids when the conditions are right - we both earn a good wage now, and we simply won't start planning a family until we feel our housing situation is right. We want to bring them up a little bit out of the town - entirely our choice, and entirely reasonable. To me it's crazy to have 4 kids in a tiny house on a small wage, but hey, everyone is different.
  2. We possibly were naive - we certainly didn't jump in with the intention of making money. I'd happily sell any house I ever buy for purchase price + inflation. I'd rather make money in other ways. Still, too much negativity in this thread for my liking... positive thinking from here on in from me
  3. Thanks - I've bookmarked this thread and will update as things progress. We are prepared for low offers - the only reason I'm mentioning £140k is because thats the only figure we've been given so far (and due to the recent sales, I can see why). Our house isn't tiny - it does suffer from the new build problem of very little storage space. I've got a large collection of books and family items in the loft, and I could conceivably floor the entire loft, but that still leaves us with the eternal dilemma of turning the second bedroom into an office, or keeping it as a bedroom. If we want kids, it'd need to be a bedroom, if I want to work from home as I do sometimes, it'd need to be an office. (a laptop isn't really appropriate for the work I do). If we don't get what we are looking for we'll re-evaluate everything, but until then I remain firmly with my fingers crossed. I didn't sign on for house price advice initially, it was more of a buy now or rent decision. We could afford to make a loss on our property if we then got a "bargain" in the future, and renting now would appear to be the best way to do that. We've never viewed property as a way of making money, I find the idea inherently wrong, our only goal is to have a nice house. If that means staying put because people offer £90k for our place then so be it.
  4. Thanks for the remarkably sanctimonious and patronising reply. We are planning on starting a family in the not too distant future and would like enough room for them, preferably not in suburbia. I don't ever recall being in a world where "money grows on trees" - I've saved up every penny of the deposit I put down on this place, whilst paying off all my student debts. If you have nothing constructive to contribute, I suggest you find another thread to troll in.
  5. We wouldn't make an offer until our place had actually sold - if we go down the buying route, we'll move in with family for a month or two (the joy) rather than renting. The offer would only become legally binding up here once missives have been concluded - you are free to make an offer on a property. This generally happens fairly early on in the process, but it isn't "instant". House Builders are notorious for trying to force through the missives however (with the intention of making the agreement legally binding as early as possible), so we'd be very careful!
  6. Our local property center (TSPC) has a facility that allows solicitors and estate agents to log on and view properties, we had a friend look for us. The one up the street I'm friendly with the chap so I asked him! Number 12, DD5 3TU
  7. See the above reply re: hindsight! This is our first house - we've previously rented, and I guess with some of the rents we were in before at the lower end of the market, our view on renting was pretty soured. Couple that with us both being of the mindset that "buying is good" and we decided to buy. Looking back we'd take a very different path, but nothing can be done about that for now.
  8. I'm not sure if I'm being stupid, but if my next door neighbour sold for £140k 3 months ago, and a similar house in the area sold for £140k in December, and a slightly bigger 3 bedroom house sold for £165,000 on our street in December, why would prices have dropped by £40,000 in the past 4 weeks or so? I think dropping the price is an option, but the house isn't even on the market yet, we're still waiting for the surveyors valuation for the Home Report and for the actual Home Report to be printed.
  9. Hindsight is wonderful isn't it? If we could go back, we'd rent. We can't go back, so we've simply to make the best of the situation. Also the EA isn't making any money from us (which is nice)
  10. I don't want someone else to "bail me out" because quite simply the most recent houses sold of our type in this area have sold for £140,000! (the most recent was Dec about 1/2 mile away). I don't feel that we over paid for our house, and I'm not selling so that someone else can take on "my negative equity", we simply want to sell our house so that we can get a bigger place (whether that is rented or bought) in the countryside. If we don't achieve what we feel is a good price we'll just stay put and reconsider our options.
  11. I think the house is actually fine - it's suited us for the past 2 years, but we're getting married in 10 weeks and would like to start a family. Also it's as much to do with the size as to do with the whole suburbia thing. Most people who live round here are couples and a lot have kids, so I think for the majority the house is fine... maybe we are just awkward! I guess it's just a waiting (and hoping) game.
  12. Thanks for the reply, 1) Very true - I'm just going by what the valuation manager told us and based on what similar properties have sold at in the surrounding areas (not necessarily the same street, but the same development, which is quite large). I guess it's just a matter of waiting to see how things go... we are quite prepared for low offers though. The EA was positive though, and she has no reason to lie given that we aren't paying any EA fees. 2) True - we'd leave any offering until the very last minute (if we get any offers!). 3) I thought everyone low-balled on new builds, and this was the norm? Of course I'd like to get asking price for our property, but I'm aware of the market and that there is a high probability this won't be achieved. 4) Essentially, we feel strongly that we need to move now for various reasons - one of them being that we don't want to be "stuck" for another 2+ years in the same place with very little room and bang in the middle of suburbia. It's got to the point where we'd rather pay a bit more to rent than we would to buy, given everything that is happening at the moment. Even down to the fact that although we are both in fairly secure jobs, were either of us to be made redundant, I'd rather be in a rented property with a few months on the lease rather than being forced to sell my home and lose a fortune.
  13. Out of interest, why not now? For what we pay for our mortgage, we could rent a 4 bedroom detached house in the countryside...
  14. That's not something we want to do - we are completely out of room and both needing some wide open spaces around us. If we stay put for another 9 months we'll probably be in negative equity and will then have to stay until prices come back up, which could be quite a long time.
  15. Thanks for that. The EA we saw seemed fairly positive that £140 was achievable, but I guess that is pure speculation - we'd accept what we paid for the house, if we were offered less I think we'd have to do some serious weighing-up of options. Why do you say "sit in rented for much longer than you think"? Wouldn't being in a rented place mean you could jump more or less as soon as you saw somewhere that was affordable? Or do you mean until the crash "ends"? I think 3x joint salary here + 10% would relatively easily afford our asking price.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.