#1 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  • About Me:I love - love I tell you - Twitter

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

High level discussion on PBR incl HPC and Kelvin MAcKenzie - should be fun (oh and Baroness 'Yah' and boring civil servant-type)

Unfortunately, only available north of the border

Can anyone in the Fatherland digitally record and put on site?

Edited by F.P., 30 November 2008 - 11:07 AM.

In 1931 they did not know yet that they were in The Great Depression
Cap'n, you cannae change the laws of... Economics!
"If they raise rates we're toast. If they don't its BECAUSE we're toast" Pundit: Sky News March 2011
"That which is unsustainable will not sustain" Milton Friedman

#2 gravity always wins

gravity always wins

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

YAWN

I suppose the Scottish Mafia will be getting together to blame everyone else - even though whenever one of these idiots tells how to run our finances they all seem to have a Scottich accent and they all seem to get it so very very wrong.

Edited by gravity always wins, 24 November 2008 - 01:07 PM.

"There is no effective way to meaningfully reduce emissions without negatively impacting a large part of the economy"
Alan Greenspan 2007 Former Chairman of the Federal Reserve

"The gross national product includes air pollution and advertising for cigarettes and ambulances to clear our highways of carnage. It counts special locks for our doors and jails for the people who break them. GNP includes the destruction of the redwoods and the death of Lake Superior. It grows with the production of napalm, and missiles and nuclear warheads... It measures everything, in short, except that which makes life worthwhile"
Senator Robert Kennedy

#3 phobos

phobos

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

If you have Sky Digital BBC Scotland is available on Channel 990

#4 waitingscot

waitingscot

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

It will be on the iPlayer by the following morning. No need to record. Wonder who Baroness Yah is.

High level discussion on PBR incl HPC and Kelvin MAcKenzie - should be fun (oh and Baroness 'Yah' and boring civil servant-type)

Unfortunately, only available north of the border

Can anyone in the Fatherland digitally record and put on site?

We are not in trouble because the housing bubble burst; we are in trouble because it inflated in the first place. - Peter Schiff

#5 twatmangle

twatmangle

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

It will be on the iPlayer by the following morning. No need to record. Wonder who Baroness Yah is.

Baroness Scotland?

(a real person BTW)
I have nothing to say....

#6 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,729 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

Nice work FP. Will be watching tonight.

One thing that always gets overlooked re. Scottish house prices.

They always say our prices have not risen as much as everywhere else - so we won't get as big a fall. They always fail to point out that prices in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and parts of Glasgow have had 'Londonesque' rises over the past 5 years. Fair enough somewhere like Fife may not have huge falls but IMO Edinburgh will.

This weeks Ernst and Young report thinks prices here in Scotland will only fall by 19%.

Ernst & Young

As for Edinburgh - According to the ESPC prices have fallen from their peak of 228k to 192k just now.

ESPC Stats 228k

ESPC stats - 192k

So we have had a drop of ~16% so far and it has barely even begun. Would be great if you could point out how detached Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen are from the rest of Scotland when it comes to affordability etc..

Last years £228k average sales price in Edinburgh worked out at about 8-9 times average salary !!

Quite insane and must be up there with some of the most overpriced areas down South.

50% falls in Edinburgh are almost guaranteed IMO. Of course the massive reliance on the Financial Sector is not going to help matters...

Anyway good luck.
"****** you - you carwash ****"

March 2007 - Suzy Essman.

#7 Bjørn

Bjørn

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

Baroness Scotland?

The noble baroness seems to have had too much Scottish sunshine. It's gone to her head.

#8 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

They always say our prices have not risen as much as everywhere else - so we won't get as big a fall. They always fail to point out that prices in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and parts of Glasgow have had 'Londonesque' rises over the past 5 years. Fair enough somewhere like Fife may not have huge falls but IMO Edinburgh will.

This weeks Ernst and Young report thinks prices here in Scotland will only fall by 19%.

Brilliant support. Many thanks

Its Baroness Margaret Ford and a bloke called Robert Crawford.
"If they raise rates we're toast. If they don't its BECAUSE we're toast" Pundit: Sky News March 2011

#9 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Last time it was on i player within an hour.

#10 Paddles

Paddles

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Scottish house prices will only ever go up; global warming will ensure that in 20 year's time Scotland's climate will be similar to Singapore's is now. 31 degrees every day.

There will be armed border patrols to stop people trying to enter from across the Great English Desert.

Anyway, best of luck on the show. Newsnight is a good gig, even if it's the Scottish version.

Edited by Paddles, 24 November 2008 - 05:38 PM.

"And thus the rule, supported by the experience of centuries; the speculative episode always ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."
J. K. Galbraith - A short history of financial euphoria

My blog from enemy territory

#11 waitingscot

waitingscot

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

House prices have more than doubled in Inverclyde since 2002. Flats that could be bought for £47,000 sold this year for over £95,000.

You have to remember that wages are much lower in most of Scotland. Outside Edinburgh, Aberdeen and East Rebfrewshire we are quite poor in fact.

Ernst & Young

As for Edinburgh - According to the ESPC prices have fallen from their peak of 228k to 192k just now.

ESPC Stats 228k

ESPC stats - 192k

So we have had a drop of ~16% so far and it has barely even begun. Would be great if you could point out how detached Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen are from the rest of Scotland when it comes to affordability etc..

Last years £228k average sales price in Edinburgh worked out at about 8-9 times average salary !!

Quite insane and must be up there with some of the most overpriced areas down South.

50% falls in Edinburgh are almost guaranteed IMO. Of course the massive reliance on the Financial Sector is not going to help matters...

Anyway good luck.

We are not in trouble because the housing bubble burst; we are in trouble because it inflated in the first place. - Peter Schiff

#12 waitingscot

waitingscot

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

Plus three bedroom council houses in Gourock advertised for sale at "offers over" £145,000!

That is madness.

#13 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

Mention that as the Scottish Home Packs which will be introduced on Dec 1st have a survey and valuation, it will put an end to the ridiculous "offers over" system so prices will plunge.
Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and it's banks. The UK's Governbankment does policies to enrich bankers at the expense of the public. The more money people are encouraged to borrow, the more money bankers make.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR and interest rates swaps are now being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses.

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#14 Sine270

Sine270

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

Mention that as the Scottish Home Packs which will be introduced on Dec 1st have a survey and valuation, it will put an end to the ridiculous "offers over" system so prices will plunge.

That would be good, but do you think it will really be the case?
A house doesn't have to be sold at the valuation price afterall.

#15 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

I think it will definitely have an impact.

In the past to avoid having surveys done on every house they attempted to buy people put offers in and then had their valuation done. The valuation could be lower than expected but they had gone that far so carried on with the purchase. Don't forget silly mortgages were available then. Now buyers will know the value BEFORE they make an offer and if lending criteria is stricter who in their right mind will be offering over the asking price?
Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and it's banks. The UK's Governbankment does policies to enrich bankers at the expense of the public. The more money people are encouraged to borrow, the more money bankers make.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR and interest rates swaps are now being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses.

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users