House Price Crash Forum

C4 Now - Rich Girl, Poor Girl

heather5

HOLA441

Anyone watching this now?

This really is scarey TV.

Despite everything we've gone through ourselves - this is what kids now make of themselves?

Rich girl "so" annoying me.

Poor girl - loved her the moment I met her on TV - and has some real stuff to say about the way things are.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

To be fair it wouldnt make a good tv programme if they picked...

(a) A well off, well brought up and educated middle class kid who also knew the value of money and how lucky they are relative to most people (ie most of that "category" of person)

and

(B) A "benefit class" individual who was making no effort to better their situation and just sponging off the state (ie A lot [but not all!!!!]) of that "category".

Good programme tho - now doing the obligatory "everybody learned something today" piece at the end!....

Edit - ignore the wink face - was supposed to be a b!

Edited by nicko75

HOLA444
Guest vicmac64
Anyone watching this now?

This really is scarey TV.

Despite everything we've gone through ourselves - this is what kids now make of themselves?

Rich girl "so" annoying me.

Poor girl - loved her the moment I met her on TV - and has some real stuff to say about the way things are.

Well they are both just kids - but the parents (particulary the primary school teacher) should know better.

If you asked me the real chav is the teacher.

I have been fortunate to have all the luxuries as a child, but really feel for the poorer family.

HOLA445

Why is poor girl not getting help with her brother? He should be in school and should not be her responsibility. Yet another blindingly obvious failure from our government. She's a sensible, bright girl and her life has been wasted. Social services should be involved and should have ensured he was in school a year ago.

Rich girl has been set up. Her views are disgusting but seeing her mother, it is no surprise. Shame on them all, and shame on them for being so daft to get involved with a program like this. I expect it will haunt them forever.

Edited by msgin

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Rich girl has been set up. Her views are disgusting but seeing her mother, it is no surprise. Shame on them all, and shame on them for being so daft to get involved with a program like this, I expect it will haunt them forever.

Good point on her mother - there is something i have noticed over the years. I guess ive been very lucky to come from a reasonably well off family in the North of England. My parents and all their friends have done well but all are very grounded, not in the slightest bit stuck up and have made sure their children know the value of hard work and money.

I have lived in London for 10 years and a lot of "well to do" families down here seem to be obnoxious and horrible harbouring some very dangerous and backward views and producing horribly snobbish children...just an obervation...

HOLA449

The rich girl is irritating the hell out of me. I hate the way that despite benefitting from a private education she is still unable to utter a sentence without inserting the word "like" at least 3 times.

She reminds me of one of those pointy-nose characters in the Lloyds-TSB adverts. It's also disgusting that the word "chav" is really just the new term for what Dickens would have referred to as just poor.

It illustrates how being poor is now regarded with even more disdain than it was even by the Victorians. At least there were powerful figures who advocated change in those days. Who do the poor have to stand up for them nowadays?

HOLA4410
Rich girl has been set up. Her views are disgusting but seeing her mother, it is no surprise. Shame on them all, and shame on them for being so daft to get involved with a program like this, I expect it will haunt them forever.

Good point on her mother - there is something i have noticed over the years. I guess ive been very lucky to come from a reasonably well off family in the North of England. My parents and all their friends have done well but all are very grounded, not in the slightest bit stuck up and have made sure their children know the value of hard work and money.

I have lived in London for 10 years and a lot of "well to do" families down here seem to be obnoxious and horrible harbouring some very dangerous and backward views and producing horribly snobbish children...just an obervation...

Such views are typical of those that have had money come their way and not earned it.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I had to leave the room or they would have been a top banana domestic with Mrs F... I was rooting for the poor girl. The other one and the poor girl's mother was a waste of planetary resources in my view.

But the poor girl wouldn't have existed if it hadn't been for the poor girl's mother...

TBH I can't feel resentment for somebody who is being paid a subsistence wage, is mentally ill and has no prospects. I do however, feel anger for the corporate welfare lavished on the useless bankers.

Edited by BarrelShifter

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Just couldn't watch that ridiculous rich girl. This sort of freak show TV proves nothing; it was a good idea wasted by picking a rich family who can so easily be dismissed as ridiculous freaks. There are very few people around like that, I suspect.

Sadly, there are a lot of people around like that.

HOLA4416

This programme made me feel SO ashamed to be British on so many levels. What a horrid country we live in.

Apart from the embarrassingly ignorant posh Mum being allowed to teach our children, why the hell doesn't the government issue food stamps to stop depressed Mums spending their dole on fags, booze and frigging dog food. Yes, I know they would only swap them for blackmarket stuff, but it would make some improvement.(I starved most of my teenage years for this very reason, no one noticed or could do anything about it. Fact is these depressed alcoholic Mums are suffering from a disease.) Hope channel NIMBY 4 paid for that poor dear to get some front teeth.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'm surprised there aren't more posts here.

I was so hoping it would be different.

To my mind - this was landmark in programme making.

There hasn't been anything of this nature on TV before - and it was raw but it was good.

And it does represent what is happening in society - and what has been happening in society since I was a kid in the 70's.

But it's just not got out until now.

I'm just staggered that those of you on this site with kids haven't either a) thought it worth watching or B) thought it doesn't apply to you and your kids.

To me, this was landmark TV - and I would like to see a next series of this progress - and I thought that the idea of the two kids on the same ends of the street in wealthy clapham - make it even better.

For me, it really did open my eyes on what poor kid had to deal with - of course as adult we all think our kids won't have to go through that.

But then you get the current climate and wealthy families going through a down-turn with mental health an issue - and it could all turn-tables.

But I love the idea that the phrase "chav" exists and represents something - in their world - and yet they both discover it means nothing at the end of the programme when they meet each other and look at each other individually.

Horray! - But please, please more of this.

I've travelled the world - and met with the Majahadeen - and all that stuff - and they are just people - with bizzare views - but still just people - and was bullied at 10 years of age etc - and all the kids (apparently) went to reform school - never understood why - they were just really hurt kids who lost their Dads in the war - they all put my head under the toilet saying "this is for my Dad who didn't come back".

I'm not Condy Rice - I don't know how we do this - but someone has to - and this was the first programme I've seen in my life time that tried to address it - it doesn't succeed - sometimes I was shouting at the screen - but it damned well tried.

I would like to see more programmes of this nature given our society - we now need to do this.

I don't normally join the C4 posters - but I will for this programme - because I thought it was damned good - it was bias - it had stuff I hated - but I admire it for doing what it's done - and want to see more of such programmes aimed at the young and what they think and feel and putting them in situations which when I was young was normal but now is abnormal.

Rant over - but going to take it further.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
FCKIN SCUM!!!

And i reserve these words for the rich girl and her 'parents'. Can they even be classed as parents for brining up some girl so ignorant an bigoted?

More than likely much of the sh!te she talked came from the influence of her peers, all teenagers have some extremely ignorant views until they experience life proper outside the confines of their own nurtured world.

HOLA4421
I'm surprised there aren't more posts here.

I was so hoping it would be different.

To my mind - this was landmark in programme making.

There hasn't been anything of this nature on TV before - and it was raw but it was good.

And it does represent what is happening in society - and what has been happening in society since I was a kid in the 70's.

But it's just not got out until now.

I'm just staggered that those of you on this site with kids haven't either a) thought it worth watching or B) thought it doesn't apply to you and your kids.

To me, this was landmark TV - and I would like to see a next series of this progress - and I thought that the idea of the two kids on the same ends of the street in wealthy clapham - make it even better.

For me, it really did open my eyes on what poor kid had to deal with - of course as adult we all think our kids won't have to go through that.

But then you get the current climate and wealthy families going through a down-turn with mental health an issue - and it could all turn-tables.

But I love the idea that the phrase "chav" exists and represents something - in their world - and yet they both discover it means nothing at the end of the programme when they meet each other and look at each other individually.

Horray! - But please, please more of this.

I've travelled the world - and met with the Majahadeen - and all that stuff - and they are just people - with bizzare views - but still just people - and was bullied at 10 years of age etc - and all the kids (apparently) went to reform school - never understood why - they were just really hurt kids who lost their Dads in the war - they all put my head under the toilet saying "this is for my Dad who didn't come back".

I'm not Condy Rice - I don't know how we do this - but someone has to - and this was the first programme I've seen in my life time that tried to address it - it doesn't succeed - sometimes I was shouting at the screen - but it damned well tried.

I would like to see more programmes of this nature given our society - we now need to do this.

I don't normally join the C4 posters - but I will for this programme - because I thought it was damned good - it was bias - it had stuff I hated - but I admire it for doing what it's done - and want to see more of such programmes aimed at the young and what they think and feel and putting them in situations which when I was young was normal but now is abnormal.

Rant over - but going to take it further.

Heather 5 - i honestly dont think its as significant as you make out. I get your points but it was what Channel 4 does best - lets find the 2 most diametrically opposed people we can and put them together and see what happens.

It was good to see the girl from the council estate doing and saying the right things and showing she wanted to improve her situation. The rich girl was detestable but not representative of a significant proportion of the population. She was just another freak that C4 managaed to dig up to make good TV.

When i was 21 i used to live in a nice (ish!) flat next door the notorious Poynders Road estate in Clapham. I got mugged twice within 100 yards off my front door. Its simply the geography of London that there are rich and poor areas side by side as they built council accomodation after the war in an attempt to integrate areas and "mix things up a bit". Being mugged twice didnt make me think about the great divide but it did make me move - to Fulham! haha....

HOLA4422
Who do the poor have to stand up for them nowadays?

Good programme. Similar contrasts in the new book by Polly Toynbee & David Walker "Unjust rewards: exposing greed and inequality in Britain today". They talk to bankers who don't realise how rich they are and the poor to hear whether nulabour policies are helping them.

HOLA4423
It's also disgusting that the word "chav" is really just the new term for what Dickens would have referred to as just poor.

In my book, a chav is more a reflection of how people act rather than their financial status. Therefore, Wayne and Colleen, the Beckhams or Kerry Katona can be called chavs. The important thing is an obsession with material possessions and status over cultural enrichment and intelligence.

On that basis the rich mum was more chavy than the poor mum, who was just plain pikey.

Secondly, in the week of baby P trial, it is reassuring that social services are doing a great job in Clapham.

HOLA4424
When i was 21 i used to live in a nice (ish!) flat next door the notorious Poynders Road estate in Clapham. I got mugged twice within 100 yards off my front door. Its simply the geography of London that there are rich and poor areas side by side as they built council accomodation after the war in an attempt to integrate areas and "mix things up a bit". Being mugged twice didnt make me think about the great divide but it did make me move - to Fulham! haha....

.....actually come to think of it, I had my mobile phone stolen by a kid on a bike and my laptop stolen from my car boot in Fulham - maybe thats why im now in Kingston!! haha

what makes me more depressed is the banner advert for the website "seekingamillionaire.com" on the top of this page! Society and its workings sadly laid bare!.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4425