#1 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,985 posts
  • About Me:I love - love I tell you - Twitter

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

Debate on NI housing market between a financial adviser and an EA...

Edited by Financial Planner, 11 November 2008 - 12:26 PM.

In 1931 they did not know yet that they were in The Great Depression
Cap'n, you cannae change the laws of... Economics!
"If they raise rates we're toast. If they don't its BECAUSE we're toast" Pundit: Sky News March 2011
"That which is unsustainable will not sustain" Milton Friedman

#2 sdoey

sdoey

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

One to watch tonight then! Give them hell!!

#3 JoeDavola

JoeDavola

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

As one of many young people in NI who has been denied the chance to own their own home by insane prices, I hope you do indeed give 'em hell.

#4 Harry Monk

Harry Monk

The Official HPC Paraffin Lamp

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

a financial adviser

Anyone we know? :lol: :lol: :lol:
.........................................................................................................................................................................
"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defence against a homicidal maniac." -George Orwell.

#5 Traktion

Traktion

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,297 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

One to watch then! :)
Hayek: Denationalisation of Money - Competing, alternative currencies and breaking the money monopolies.
Bitcoin - Free market, distributed, open source, e-currency.
Against Intellectual Monopoly - Stop the rent seeking through legal monopoly.
Freedomain Radio - Philosophical commentary and debate.
Khan Academy - Free market education, funded by voluntary donations.
Community Land Licencing - A distributed, non-state, alternative to land value taxation.

#6 Paddles

Paddles

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Anyone know if it's accessible via Virgin Media, if so which channel?

Otherwise I suppose iPlayer is always your friend.
"And thus the rule, supported by the experience of centuries; the speculative episode always ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."
J. K. Galbraith - A short history of financial euphoria

My blog from enemy territory

#7 Vespasian

Vespasian

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

Hoho! Christmas has come early. Open up a can of whoop-ass on the EA
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it" Ronald Reagan

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'Ronald Reagan

"Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July" Jaws 1975

Leeroy Jenkins!

#8 squire

squire

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

Ooh, superb! Bring out the big guns and shoot them down. Make 'em weep.

I seriously cannot stand the VI's over here spouting their rhetoric bullsh!t. If you can, please get us a few tears. That would make my day!

#9 Jim B.

Jim B.

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

That Stephen Nolan is a bit of a wind up merchant, be careful FP.

#10 deflation

deflation

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

I've checked on the BBC iplayer and the 1 hour Nolan show from 3/11 is available. (Frank Skinner was on it)

So, tonight's show should be on there tomorrow.

#11 Belfast Boy

Belfast Boy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

That Stephen Nolan is a bit of a wind up merchant, be careful FP.

Stephen Nolan is supposed to have a large BTL portfolio ALLEGIDLY!

Good luck FP
"There will never be another period, in our lifetime, when property changes hands for the multiples of salary that we reached recently. The one-off credit event that we have witnessed, over the last ten years, is gone and it is not coming back!" Dances with Sheeple

"The mistake I think lots of people are making, is that they are assuming the real estate market, in a few years time, will exist in the same economic conditons that exist today." VedantaTrader

#12 Belfast Boy

Belfast Boy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

Actually Nolan said on his radio show that he owned property.

Edited by Belfast Boy, 10 November 2008 - 06:20 PM.

"There will never be another period, in our lifetime, when property changes hands for the multiples of salary that we reached recently. The one-off credit event that we have witnessed, over the last ten years, is gone and it is not coming back!" Dances with Sheeple

"The mistake I think lots of people are making, is that they are assuming the real estate market, in a few years time, will exist in the same economic conditons that exist today." VedantaTrader

#13 MOP

MOP

Goodbye Green Shoots, though I never...knew you at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

Bloody hell i was just about to say "i bet Nolan is a BTLer himself" . He will try and twist things ! Possibly use this as a platform to change public opinion ! He and his EA friend need to be hit hard tonight !
The Sibley Thread Bomb - A How-To Guide

Contsruct: Put together between three and seven well-spaced lines of OTT blind optimism. Steer well clear of economics and stick to spurious anecdotals and the odd wild prediction. Finish off with "I told you so". Maximum impact, minimum detail. Nice!
Target: Find a thread with plenty of action going on. A "green shoots" thread is preferable, but any thread started by a fellow Bull usually works. If Harry Monk is there, even better!
Deploy: When it's least expected, throw the thread bomb into the target area and quickly move to a safe distance. Watch the thread bomb go off and create chaos among the Bears. Wait a while, then throw another one in for good measure. Job done.

"Mr Brown does still keep in touch with Prudence, but only via a Ouija board." - Jeff Randall April 09

#14 heatonfan

heatonfan

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • About Me:Stockport County FC; golf; investment.

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

At least you are Scottish so will get away with it. Might be useful to point out that prices for larger houses in towns like Newtownards and Bangor nevermind the better bits of Belfast were getting close to the same levels as Alderley Edge in Cheshire or nice parts of southern England where the average income is probably three times higher.

I am from NI originally and have relatives still over and hear hilarious/bizarre/sad stories about the last three years. NI was truly dot.com in its silliness.

My favourite relates to 3 unattractive 70's 4 bedroom houses with large back gardens on a pleasant but hardly exceptional suburban road in a commuter town outside of Belfast which would have been worth no more than 300,000 up to 2004 (and that would have been thought expensive) selling to a property developer for 750,000 each in 2006 (seriously) so he could put up flats in the back gardens. This was developer knocking on the door stuff - the vendors' houses were not up for sale. The developer bought 3 of them. The fourth house next door held out with a dot.com valuation analysis that he should get 900,000 and raged against his neighbours who undersold for 'less than they were worth'. Developer just flat refused to pay anything extra for the fourth.

The three who sold downsized, and have 400,000 odd spare for their pension fund. They just couldn't believe it. "We thought we would be there for life, but they made an offer we couldn't refuse".

Needless to say, no flats have been built or seem likely to be built.

4th house couldnt be realistically marketed for more than 350,000 to 400,000 today and unlikely it would sell anyway given the declining market. :P
QUOTE (Young Goat @ Dec 2 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course the problem is the bubble has been going on for so long now that people have forgotten how cheap they used to be.

#15 Paddles

Paddles

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:16 PM

The phone in lines open early, according to my sources, so HPCers who want to ask pertinent questions should call early to avoid disappointment.
"And thus the rule, supported by the experience of centuries; the speculative episode always ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."
J. K. Galbraith - A short history of financial euphoria

My blog from enemy territory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users