104 replies to this topic

#16 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

I often listen to Nolan on Five Live at weekends. Certainly no intellectual heavyweight. Has two cards to play - simplistic devil's advocate or plain-man-in-the-pub-who-needs-simple-explanations.

He is attractive in neither guise. Should be easy meat.
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#17 deflation

deflation

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

I've heard him on 5 live. Often Mr 'Daily Express' Angry too, as well as a sucker for a sob story, although they are sometimes genuine.

#18 Paddles

Paddles

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

Is anyone going to phone in?
"And thus the rule, supported by the experience of centuries; the speculative episode always ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."
J. K. Galbraith - A short history of financial euphoria

My blog from enemy territory

#19 MOP

MOP

Goodbye Green Shoots, though I never...knew you at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

Is anyone going to phone in?

We need people to phone in here ! Even if it requires us to use false pretences ! Nolan will not want HPCers on if he is a BTLer !
The Sibley Thread Bomb - A How-To Guide

Contsruct: Put together between three and seven well-spaced lines of OTT blind optimism. Steer well clear of economics and stick to spurious anecdotals and the odd wild prediction. Finish off with "I told you so". Maximum impact, minimum detail. Nice!
Target: Find a thread with plenty of action going on. A "green shoots" thread is preferable, but any thread started by a fellow Bull usually works. If Harry Monk is there, even better!
Deploy: When it's least expected, throw the thread bomb into the target area and quickly move to a safe distance. Watch the thread bomb go off and create chaos among the Bears. Wait a while, then throw another one in for good measure. Job done.

"Mr Brown does still keep in touch with Prudence, but only via a Ouija board." - Jeff Randall April 09

#20 Paddles

Paddles

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

We need people to phone in here ! Even if it requires us to use false pretences ! Nolan will not want HPCers on if he is a BTLer !

Exactly!

Let's have some fun. Phone up early and register a question, something fun like "if the long term trend is average house prices equal 3 to 4 times the average salary in an area, what will prices fall back to?".
"And thus the rule, supported by the experience of centuries; the speculative episode always ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."
J. K. Galbraith - A short history of financial euphoria

My blog from enemy territory

#21 Little Professor

Little Professor

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Aww, the poor Norn Iron folks have to watch Nolan while the rest of us get Spooks :lol:

#22 acceleratorhams

acceleratorhams

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • About Me:Playing in `The Accelerators`

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

Aww, the poor Norn Iron folks have to watch Nolan while the rest of us get Spooks :lol:

Anyone with Sky can get the programme on channel 973 at 9pm tonight.

Hams

#23 moonriver

moonriver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

Anyone with Sky can get the programme on channel 973 at 9pm tonight.

Hams

Thanks .

oh good, I can get to tune in at 9pm now, via 973.

#24 MOP

MOP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

Estate Agent vs Financial Planner

A debate will be on about the direction of the Northern Irish housing bubble.

Edited by Master Of Puppets, 10 November 2008 - 10:44 PM.

Contsruct: Put together between three and seven well-spaced lines of OTT blind optimism. Steer well clear of economics and stick to spurious anecdotals and the odd wild prediction. Finish off with "I told you so". Maximum impact, minimum detail. Nice!
Target: Find a thread with plenty of action going on. A "green shoots" thread is preferable, but any thread started by a fellow Bull usually works. If Harry Monk is there, even better!
Deploy: When it's least expected, throw the thread bomb into the target area and quickly move to a safe distance. Watch the thread bomb go off and create chaos among the Bears. Wait a while, then throw another one in for good measure. Job done.

"Mr Brown does still keep in touch with Prudence, but only via a Ouija board." - Jeff Randall April 09

#25 Swipe

Swipe

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Can you reveal the channel name so I can find this on virgin cable?

#26 MOP

MOP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

It should be under BBC 1 Northern Ireland

Edited by Master Of Puppets, 10 November 2008 - 09:19 PM.

#27 Swipe

Swipe

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

Got it thanks

#28 garybug

garybug

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

Channel 937 is worth checking it to kill some time... ;)

Frank Hovis - May 4 2008, 02:55 PM. "[These people] seems outraged that nobody wants to come along and make the same mistake as them."

#29 MOP

MOP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

There are rumours that the financial planner is our very own "Financial Planner" from this site. Can anyone confirm this ?

#30 bimyo

bimyo

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

There are rumours that the financial planner is our very own "Financial Planner" from this site. Can anyone confirm this ?

There's a thread about it upstairs - 'Important Topics'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users