123 replies to this topic

#106 mentholist

mentholist

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hmmm Reading appears at the very least having a sold sign bounce. Flats are still sticking. But east Reading and burbs appear to be seeing significant movement. Won't know about prices for a couple of months I guess but asking prices are still mental.

#107 beesting

beesting

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Decided to take the plunge and bought my first property in Tilehurst with a 15% deposit, managed to get a 3 bed semi in a good area for 200k . There are now some good properties on the market in this area

#108 Superted187

Superted187

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Yep prices look like they are heading south these days.

I just had a look around my usual area and price band, and have seen one or two that really stood out as being "sensibly" priced

#109 Superted187

Superted187

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

One of the "Sensibly" priced houses that I saw on RM now has a "sold" sign outside of it. Was on for all of about 4 days.

#110 Superted187

Superted187

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Something on Rentals:

I had 4 viewings arranged for Saturday. One by one they got cancelled as they all got let out. These had all only been marketed for a maximum of 3 days.

Rents have also crept up from the 800 PCM mark 2 years ago to around the 1000 PCM mark.

After the third cancellation, I asked the Letting Agent if things were usually this bad. He noted that this is always the busiest time of year, but that this year was particularly manic.

And something on Sales:

My usual Rightmove scoutings utilising property bee are revealing 2 bedroom places in need of some work on for about 150,000. It looks like prices are heading South, and property bee highlights a few reductions around the 5-10k mark. Anyone else got any thoughts?

#111 MrRee

MrRee

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

Anyone else got any thoughts?

The market has, without doubt, picked up in the past month - in/around Reading.

Same is happening on the South Coast along from Milford-on-Sea through Barton to Bournemouth ..... 'new' properties hitting the market at high (yet maybe sensible? prices) are selling within days ...... hours even, in the case of one property I went to see .... sold within the hour it took me to drive there to view!!!!!!!

I've been studying the market from Reading down to Bournemouth, and all points inbetween, from 2008 when it all went tits up ...... 2009 saw the absolute bargains (with hindsight) and 2010 saw a minor upturn ..... early 2011 looked bad - but from Q2 it has bounced back and now is getting into a sellers market, strange as it may seem.

I hope this doesn't last as I was hoping for more of a downturn!

#112 Jelinek

Jelinek

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

I hope this doesn't last as I was hoping for more of a downturn!

Me too Pete, me too.

#113 JonoP

JonoP

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Me too Pete, me too.

Two bed flats & two bed terraces are dropping in price. This will eventually put downward pressure on the next level up. It is a long, slow, drawn out process though. And some vendors are still listing at crazy prices. They will not sell though.

#114 yawnIHateSundays

yawnIHateSundays

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

Did you exchange/complete your sale? Sorry, not wishing to pry just trying to assess whether sales are actually going through, because if you look at houseprices.co.uk you get the impression that hardly anything is selling.

Sorry, again not looking here for a while... yes it did go through.

#115 JonoP

JonoP

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

I have noticed that the price of 2 bed new build (slavebox) appartments is starting to fall quite fast now. There are places being advertised at Capital Point for 145K at the moment, these places were going for 200K plus at the height of the boom.

The classic 2 bed terraces are also 10K - 15K off their peak prices, and they are getting cheaper by the month. I reckon that they will soon be around 2004 prices.

There are still quite a lot of people trying for peak prices - but their places ar not selling. The ones that are selling are in the range of 150K for 2 bed falts and 160K for the terraces.

There has not really been a lot of movement in the 250K plus space yet but they will start to be dragged down soon....

#116 Umiapik

Umiapik

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi all, not posted on here for quite a while.

I'm currently in a 1 bed flat in Reading that I bought at the end of 2010 for 120 K, with a 20% deposit (I was 32 years old, sick completely of living with housemates and desperate to start paying my own mortgage off, rather than somebody else's.) Don't want to remain where I am forever and would quite like to upgrade to a 'proper' house. I also want to stay in Reading, for both work and personal reasons. I'd particularly like one of those terraced houses up by the university: I rented there for 6 months when I first moved to Reading and thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from the parking...

I reckon that I could just about trade up to a house and maintain my equity at the 75% mark by the end of this year... assuming that I keep overpaying my mortgage and stick another 10 K (ish) of capital in when I refinance. My assumption in this is that prices in Reading are going to remain pretty much where they have been, with no really detectable rises or falls. Reading seems to be in a strange 'sweet point', on the exact border between London (rising prices) and everywhere else in the country (falling prices). Do prices seem to be falling in Reading from your points of view, then?

#117 InvestmentByker

InvestmentByker

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

...... Reading seems to be in a strange 'sweet point', on the exact border between London (rising prices) and everywhere else in the country (falling prices). Do prices seem to be falling in Reading from your points of view, then?

Pretty much sums it up. Houses up to about 250k seem to be selling (otherwise known as houses people can buy with reasonable multiples of salary). Houses around the 300k-600k just seem to sit on the market forever. Unfortunately the housing stock in Reading is p'*** poor and no one aspires to a 2+1 with the bathroom attached to the kitchen which are the kind of houses in the 200k price band,
Do not worry about your life - 6:25-26

#118 zag

zag

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Just an update on my situation, I just purchased the rest of my shared ownership share for 5K less than I bought it for in 2007.

Prices seem to be rising very quickly recently as I could have had it for 20k 3 months ago.

It appears the London effect is helping prices, especially around the new train station build in the center of town.

#119 Wayo

Wayo

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

From a historical point of view it would be interesting to know how Reading ended up with these 2+1 terraces with the stairs coming up the middle of the main reception. However bedroom 3 only being accessible through bedroom 2 is no use for modern living and defies even the obvious remedy of moving the bathroom from the back of the kitchen to upstairs.

Reading like much of the south I imagine, is crazy at the moment, with houses around the £180-250k mark on at 25%+ of their 2006-2010 highs. Very little seems to be hanging around on the books and agents are doing open house events as well as demanding best and final offers.

Just looking at 31 Connaught Road, sold Mar 2012 for £149,950 on this week at £205,000 - a delightful 2+1 format terrace.

Some people are going to get badly burned when this one blows...

#120 Ducky

Ducky

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hi there, I have come back to Reading for a few months after a couple of years abroad and.... What the heck is going on with house prices???? They are crazy, an average terraced house with 3 bedrooms on the market for £320k? Who can afford this sort of mortgage? Please tell me this is a bubble... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users