143 replies to this topic

#1 VeryMeanReversion

VeryMeanReversion

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

Anyone else getting grief from the other half about not buying a house?

At this rate, I'm going to be a forced buyer. Either that or get CSA'd and end up living in a bedsit.

Must resist, must resist.....

VMR.
"A pound is just a promise to give you another one."

#2 jonewer

jonewer

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:17 AM

At this rate, I'm going to be a forced buyer. Either that or get CSA'd and end up living in a bedsit.

VMR.

Haha. Its actually my OH acting as the brake at the moment.
Sarah Beeney - Get your baps out!

#3 Guest_Steve Cook_*

Guest_Steve Cook_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

VMR.

Jesus wept!

Unless you wish to run the very real risk of being a debt slave for the rest of your working life due to the negative equity that will not recover for possibly decades....

don't buy a house now

Edited by Steve Cook, 08 September 2008 - 08:19 AM.

#4 Badger

Badger

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Teach her to learn to read (numbers as well as letters) and she should change her mind.
People celebrate when property prices go up, yet the same people are now complaining when they have to pay more on their mortgages. Either you like expensive housing or you don't. Make up your mind.

#5 VeryMeanReversion

VeryMeanReversion

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Jesus wept!

Unless you wish to run the very real risk of being a debt slave for the rest of your workign life due to the negative equity of your house thaty will not recover for possibly decades....

don't buy a house now

I'm a cash buyer, well aware of future 30% drops but at some point, its going to be a choice between buying a house or filling out forms for the CSA.

VMR.

#6 Leonard Hatred

Leonard Hatred

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Yes - unfortunately it took her umpteen months of consecutive price falls to make her realise that if she had got her own way, we would be mortgaged up to the hilt and trapped in a tiny house until the next boom.

#7 indebted

indebted

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

For goodness sake man - GROW A PAIR!

Drive o/h around all the crappy sink estates and point out that this is where you'll be living once NE and repossession bites! Then drive around the better areas and point out what you'll be paying for a nice place in 2-3 years!

Stand up for yourself, no woman respects a guy who backs down - trust me on that one! :P

p.s.
I make these comments as a woman by the way .....
Don't breed or buy - love a rescue pet!

What happens in the dark always comes to light!

#8 loon

loon

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

I worked with a good guy in Harlow, last year. He STR-ed about two and a half years ago, I think. His other half did not like the renting lifestyle however, and I think she was pushing to buy. I hope they held on - he was bang on the money.

Suggestion - using the graphs linked from HPC front page (the income multiple vs average price in particular), try to agree how much you are both are prepared to lose when moving house. Only after agreeing that, then try to find houses that might accept an offer where only your agreed amount of money will be wiped out when the market hits 40% / 50% under its peak.

You might both agree that the amount of money you are willing to lose is very little, so its time to wait.

Or, you can't find any house that match your criteria and are within the price range from above, so time to wait.

Or, you do look at some houses, but there aren't good or nice enough, or outside your agreed money-loosing range, so time to wait.

You may just find the house you are looking for, and within your agreed money-loosing range.

Disclaimer - I haven't tried this out, many back-fire, harm animals, etc :)
* sigh *

#9 VeryMeanReversion

VeryMeanReversion

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

Drive o/h around all the crappy sink estates and point out that this is where you'll be living once NE and repossession bites! Then drive around the better areas and point out what you'll be paying for a nice place in 2-3 years!

We can currently afford a 4-bed standard detached for cash. With a 30% drop, we can afford a top place with a good plot and no mortgage. We had one of those back in 2003 but had to sell up for a move to get work when my employer went bust.

Stand up for yourself, no woman respects a guy who backs down - trust me on that one! :P

A close friend got booted out of the house last November (they have 4 young kids). After he checked his position with the CSA, he realised it was bedsit time for him. That reminded me of the potential consequences.

My best plan of action is to lock the money up in another 6/12 month bond so we can't get at it. I'm also ready for viewing crap overpriced housing to dampen any hopes.

VMR.

#10 Tiger Woods?

Tiger Woods?

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

I'm a cash buyer, well aware of future 30% drops but at some point, its going to be a choice between buying a house or filling out forms for the CSA.

VMR.

Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

Try pointing out what further price drops would mean in terms of extra holidays, uni fees for the kids etc. This is the rest of your lives, and what is another year or 2 of renting in that context? If it is a real problem of space, and you would be a cash buyer, rent a bigger house for a couple of years. If worst came to worst point out how she would feel if you pissed away 20k a year on the ponies...because it is more or less what she is wanting you to do with a house.
"I would offer congratulations were it not for this tentacle gripping my leg." - Jack Vance

#11 VeryMeanReversion

VeryMeanReversion

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Suggestion - using the graphs linked from HPC front page (the income multiple vs average price in particular), try to agree how much you are both are prepared to lose when moving house. Only after agreeing that, then try to find houses that might accept an offer where only your agreed amount of money will be wiped out when the market hits 40% / 50% under its peak.

Tried that, I have a whole library of graphs, historical research on asset price booms and busts but predicting it early blows all credibility.

HPC views are still widely seen as delusional, even in the presence of the bl**ding obvious falls so far.

At some point, I'll have to make offers but just set them low enough so they will get refused. Offering 40% of asking price for land is my record low so far.

VMR.

#12 loon

loon

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

Tried that, I have a whole library of graphs, historical research on asset price booms and busts but predicting it early blows all credibility.

Out of interest, how much did you both agree you were willing to loose?
* sigh *

#13 AteMoose

AteMoose

INTJ <- No S :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,514 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

HPC views are still widely seen as delusional, even in the presence of the bl**ding obvious falls so far.

At some point, I'll have to make offers but just set them low enough so they will get refused. Offering 40% of asking price for land is my record low so far.

VMR.

Dont sell logic (80% of people don't do logic) sell the dream of what will be.... sell a plan of where you will be when we reach a trough, what house you will buy and when...

Edited by moosetea, 08 September 2008 - 08:59 AM.

I have bought a newish (5 years) house in November 2006. I talked the vendor down 30% off peak 2004 price am am paying less than the 2002 price. I feel prices will continue to drop down to the 2001 price but saving for 5 years hopefully means i wont be stung. The price i am paying isn't much above the price the vendor paid for the place when it was new in 2000. However some idiot is trying to flog an identical house on my road for 55k above the price i paid, one month later!?!?! The housing market is frothy, no-one ever knows what the value of a house is, the value is what someone is willing to pay, make sure you pay alot less than the asking price.

Free to collect, like ebay but you dont pay, you just have to collect

QUOTE (sledgehead)If you make a living from something, you are a professional something: it is your profession. You could bake dog turds and flog them as ornaments. If that's how you make your living, you ARE a professional dog-turd baker. Period
QUOTE (Rolling Stone 13th July 2000)The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

QUOTE (Soon Not a Chain Retailer @ Aug 30 2009, 01:03 AM) Society should provide trampolines not safety nets.

QUOTE (GordonBrown Jan 27 2008 (warning about the coming inflation?))if you don't get the skills you wont get a job
if you get the skills you will earn ALOT of money

#14 VeryMeanReversion

VeryMeanReversion

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

Right girl, wrong housing market.

Try pointing out what further price drops would mean in terms of extra holidays, uni fees for the kids etc. This is the rest of your lives, and what is another year or 2 of renting in that context? If it is a real problem of space, and you would be a cash buyer, rent a bigger house for a couple of years. If worst came to worst point out how she would feel if you pissed away 20k a year on the ponies...because it is more or less what she is wanting you to do with a house.

Tried that, been renting for 5 years already, large house (2000sqft?), large garden and cheap rent (<£1Kpcm). I've pointed out that current drops are saving us £10K a month. Doesn't help much.

Mrs VMR is not money minded in the slightest but just wants a house and has already waited 5 years, tough when you used to own a good house. She's a keen gardener but there is no point when you are renting and can be kicked out at 2 months notice, not exactly ideal when the kids are starting school.

VMR.

#15 TeddyBear

TeddyBear

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

VMR.

If you're a cash buyer there isn't a fear of negative equity then? It's more waiting to get a better place for the money?

Edited: posts since I posted answer that....

Well, looks like a quality of life question too then. She's not money minded, just wants to garden etc, however, you could point out that if you need to move again because of job loss, as happened last time, you might get stuck with a place you can't sell and she'll be left on her own doing the garden while you work elsewhere..

Edited by TeddyBear, 08 September 2008 - 09:04 AM.

LONDON, April 5, 2004 – The Rt Hon Gordon Brown, MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer, today officially opened Lehman Brothers’ new European headquarters building at 25 Bank Street, Canary Wharf, London.

Commenting on the event, the Rt Hon Gordon Brown, MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer, said: “I would like to pay tribute to the contribution you and your company make to the prosperity of Britain. During its one hundred and fifty year history, Lehman Brothers has always been an innovator, financing new ideas and inventions before many others even began to realise their potential. And it is part of the greatness not just of Lehman Brothers but of the City of London, that as the world economy has opened up, you have succeeded not by sheltering your share of a small protected national market but always by striving for a greater and greater share of the growing global market.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users