House Price Crash Forum

French Property

HOLA441

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2012/02/01/1274863-gourdon-le-depart-des-anglais-a-fait-baisser-le-marche.html

LaDepeche 1/2/2012

Grand Sud

Lot

Gourdon le depart des anglais a fait baisser le marché

Gourdon The departure of the English has created a fall in the market

An estate agency closed in Gourdon

We would like to know what the current state of the property market is in Gourdon

So we asked Christian Dolby manager of a local estate agency

How is the property market in Gourdon?

The market has fallen since the departure of the English

Before 6 sales out of 10 were made with the English

Today they are selling!

Thats why there is so much property for sale

Also we can no longer rely on the sale of a "holiday home" due to todays economic problems

We expected the "Papy Boom" or the young retired from the north to come and live here but they can't sell there property up north

Before the dream was to sell your property in Paris and come down here for a life in the sun

Today they are staying to look after there children and grand-children and even to do the shopping!

Due to budget restrictions the banks no longer give out loans to the young

Also here in Gourdon the vendors over-estimate the price of there property

The market has fallen by 30%

A house bought for 200K in 2003 is today worth a 140K

Today there are some real bargains to be had its not even worth building your own house!

What are the trends for 2012?

We have new clients from Belgium,Germany,Italy,Spain and even Norway

Tastes have changed buyers pay more attention when it comes to costs taxe fonciere and heating bills

They want comfortable modern homes!

With the elections and economic problems buyers will still buy but only when the price is low

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

My fault i should have said INSEE in the first place!

The INSEE don't worry me.

TBH i am not so sure if your local mairie really know a lot about your situation its up to you to contact them they won't go looking for you

You'd be surprised, have you been to your mairie? In a big town they may not know much but in a village or small town they know everything.

My son's teacher is doing our local census, I doubt we'll ever see her seeing how much effort she puts in at school.

Geneva was a nightmare yesterday, burst main on the waterfront which meant road closures and traffic everywhere.

Edited by davidg

HOLA443
HOLA444

The INSEE don't worry me.

You'd be surprised, have you been to your mairie? In a big town they may not know much but in a village or small town they know everything.

My son's teacher is doing our local census, I doubt we'll ever see her seeing how much effort she puts in at school.

Geneva was a nightmare yesterday, burst main on the waterfront which meant road closures and traffic everywhere.

Please enlighten me!

Tell me just what do they know about you in a small town or village?

As for your son's teacher who is doing your census

Is your son's teacher a French State civil servant or a Territorial civil servant?

I doubt very much that a State school teacher will be doing the census

I can understand a territorial civil servant doing this !

They are miles apart education wise, pay wise etc

HOLA445
HOLA446

Hello everyone,

I have lived in France for 10 years and I have never seen anything of the like we are experiencing now.

To add we live in Cotes d'Armor. My wife works in the local hospital, son in lycée and another son in class prepa. Centre of family/economic interests are therefore centred here.

House prices are in reality in free fall. We sold our renovation just before the crash and rented for a bit, we have now brought a very small house, without a garden for 66% below the market value. At the signing the notaire even commented that we had brought the house at the 1983 selling price! Yes it does need a bit of work, but nothing too horrendous.

Anyway the point of my first posting on this site (which I have followed for quite sometime) is to ask fellow users what they see happening for the next 12-24 months?

Why the interest I hear you ask, well as we are looking at buying a second house further south, Charente, or below (to catch some sun in summer, well actually just to catch some sun as it appears to be something that is missing here). We understand completely the CGT issues, it will be our intention to eventually sell off our house here in Cotes d'Armor and move down further south. The time-scale of that move is 5-6 years. However securing a house at some of the great prices that are around now is so tempting.

I am going down to the Charente next week to take another look around, (5/6 hour drive from here) there really are some beautiful places there (although its damned cold there this week). I have been looking at property in the region for a couple of years now, managed to get a handle on the area, the current housing market and the exodus of Brits!

I ask about the property market in general for the next 12 - 24 months knowing full well that the major cities are where most of the statistical information is generated from, and also being fully aware that the debt/tax collectors, (the notaires) don't exactly tell the truth. I have watched as house prices have fallen in the last 2-3 years by about 20-25%. With the major changes now taking place, the French banks so badly exposed to debt in Europe, the new CGT issues, the chomage, the up coming election, which looks doomed for Sarko, one would think house prices will fall off a cliff. However, with 10 years of experience under my belt I actually am not too sure, the French never cease to amaze me. They place value on things that we Brits consider to be rubbish.....and they are prepared to wait to sell, even if they die beforehand!

Once I have spent the money it is a one way street. The housing market in the Charente is even worse than here, in fact I would describe Cotes d'Armor as dynamic by comparison!

I am very aware that if I buy off a Brit, then the price is very flexible, (although got to watch out for the dodgy renovations) however off a French person, not too sure. So my learned friends, what do you think? To buy or not to buy (isn't there a TV program with that name?) Or wait a few more months, perhaps, towards the end of 2012?

Thanks in advance.

HOLA447

http://www.lefigaro.fr/immobilier/2012/02/03/05002-20120203ARTFIG00688-residence-secondaire-pour-l-entretien-la-note-reste-salee.php

Le Figaro 6/2/12

Residence secondaire pour l'entretien la note reste salée

Holiday home for the up-keep the bill is expensive

La résidence secondaire still continues to make the French dream but this dream has a price.

The expenses of owning a "holiday home" weight heavy in your budget

Especially when you look at the time spent in the property.

On average (according to a recent opinion poll) a holiday home is occupied 42 nights a year.

30 by the owners and 12 by there close friends

A total of 4,500 euros a year in expenses ,costs and up-keep ,for a 'haven of peace in the countryside'

The bill works out at just over 100 euros a night

The costs

First furniture and DIY material

Next comes taxes evaluated at 1154 euros in 2009.

Local taxes this budget has not stopped increasing due to the never ending rise in local taxes

Other expenses to take into account building work!

Such as roof's ,floors ,walls ;electrics etc

An average budget of 12,140 euros spent over a five year period or 2428 euros a year

Worth noting that swimming-pools only account for 3% of holiday homes, but this can increase your bill to 17,720 euros over a five year period

Also on the increase VAT on building work

360 euros a year for a gardener and cleaner

280 euros a year for heating bills

House insurance 110 euros a year but on the increase

To reduce your bills you can try to rent out your house for holidays

Out of 3 million holiday homes only 1 million are on offer

You might recieve a maxi of 3630 euros a year but its not enough to cover your costs.

HOLA448

http://www.challenges.fr/economie/20120209.CHA2096/immobilier-les-ventes-de-maisons-continuent-de-chuter.html

Challenges 9/2/12

Immobilier Les ventes de maisons continuent de chuter

Property The sales of houses continue to fall

The morose economic context and the reduction of tax advantages will create a fall in sales by 10% in 2012

The sales of individual houses should fall by 10% in 2012 when compared to 2011

A year that has already registered a fall of 10% according to the UMP (Union of French Houses)

The number of sales are 148,501 in 2011 a drop of 10% when compared to 2010

The sales of new houses built by developers should fall by 15% to 20% in 2012

An estimated 80,000 to 85,000 when compared to a 100,000 in 2011

The Grand West

Certain regions are badly hit when compared to the average

Grand West -22%

Languedoc-Roussillon -10%

Bretagne -13%

South West -12%

Nord-Pas-de-Calais -11%

Four factors explain the fall in the market

Rising unemployment

Rising interest rates

Old property considered as being over-valued

Reductions in tax advantages for new property

For 2012 the situation will continue to decline

A rise of 1% in interest rates creates a loss of 17,000 property sales

The new laws (RT2012) will increase the price of a sale by 8% to 13% and then the new VAT social law will be applied

HOLA449

The English are on tv this Saturday afternoon

TF1 'Reportages' at 13.15 pm

A quick translation from tele z

Trois Anglaises et le continent

Three english women and the continent

It should of been a beautiful story .

'The good life' à la Française over the last few years.British couples with or without children.Came to live in the south-west of France.

Pretty houses a soft climate flowered villages and suddenly......the dream turns into a nightmare!

When the husband decides to leave.

This is what Mitch,January and Maria-Louise went through.

The English have sometimes a vision idyllique of France and the return to reality can hurt.

HOLA4410

http://www.lesechos.fr/patrimoine/impots/actu/0201870375661-les-deputes-adoptent-la-hausse-des-prelevements-sociaux-282439.php?xtor=EPR-1500-[patrimoine]-20120216-[s=461370_n=8_c=803_]-1048611@1

Les Echos 16/2/12

Les Deputes adoptent la hausse des prelevements sociaux

The MPs adopt an increase in "social taxes'

Last night the French g'vt voted yet another law an increase by 2 points in what they call 'social tax'

This affects certain saving accounts but it also affects capital gains tax

CGT

The rules have just be changed from 15 years to 30 years for all sales passed after the 1/2/2012

Before you paid 19%+ 13,5% in social tax or 32,5%

From the 1/7/2012 the total tax paid will go up to 34,5%

The increase will be automatic in the sale of property the notary will take into account the increase by 2 points

This takes affect from the 1/7/2012

Landlords are also affected again the same tax increase by 2 points from 13,5% to 15,5%

The increase will be taken into account on there tax declaration for 2013

HOLA4411

The English are on tv this Saturday afternoon

TF1 'Reportages' at 13.15 pm

A quick translation from tele z

Trois Anglaises et le continent

Three english women and the continent

It should of been a beautiful story .

'The good life' à la Française over the last few years.British couples with or without children.Came to live in the south-west of France.

Pretty houses a soft climate flowered villages and suddenly......the dream turns into a nightmare!

When the husband decides to leave.

This is what Mitch,January and Maria-Louise went through.

The English have sometimes a vision idyllique of France and the return to reality can hurt.

RedWine,

Thanks for the info - Do you know if this available in the UK on an iPlayer equivalent?

M21er

HOLA4412

FRENCH VILLAGE FOR SALE!

Daily Telegraph

Got £275,000 lying around? A deserted French village can be all yours. Courbefy, located in the Limousin region, comes with 19 buildings, including family homes, reports the Telegraph.

Be forewarned: Neighbors say it's frequented by "thieves, drunks and squatters," and one dubbed it a ghost village. But it does have a swimming pool. The deadline for bids is Friday!

Edited by I'M WITH STUPID

HOLA4413

RedWine,

Thanks for the info - Do you know if this available in the UK on an iPlayer equivalent?

M21er

http://videos.tf1.fr/reportages/trois-anglaises-et-le-continent-6969900.html

This is the link from MyTF1 you should be able to watch the show although TBH i don't know if it will work in the UK

I can visit the BBC website but i can't watch anything as there reply is "Sorry programme unavailable in your country"

HOLA4414

This is the link from MyTF1 you should be able to watch the show although TBH i don't know if it will work in the UK

I can visit the BBC website but i can't watch anything as there reply is "Sorry programme unavailable in your country"

Thanks for the link - Will try at home tonight

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Hi,

If you live in the UK but rent out a property in France and have the rent paid in to your UK account in sterling, where is the tax paid?

The income should be declared in France and tax paid via a French tax declaration. I'm assuming you own the property - if so, pop into your local Centre D'Impots (Tax Office) and ask to speak to someone about which form you need to fill in. I suspect it will be form 2042 which is the standard tax return.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

It can be done if you really want it.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/10/30/how-to-watch-bbc-iplayer-abroad/

http://www.expatshield.com/

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

FRENCH VILLAGE FOR SALE!

Daily Telegraph

Got £275,000 lying around? A deserted French village can be all yours. Courbefy, located in the Limousin region, comes with 19 buildings, including family homes, reports the Telegraph.

Be forewarned: Neighbors say it's frequented by "thieves, drunks and squatters," and one dubbed it a ghost village. But it does have a swimming pool. The deadline for bids is Friday!

The deadline came to an end yesterday and nobody made a bid!

As of today the new proud owners of Courbefy are the Crédit Agricole (the farmers bank)

The auction was a 'juridical auction' it was the bank that was putting the hamelet up for sale and they fixed the 300K price

They were trying to recover the loan they made to a French couple from the Gers who bought the hamelet in 2003

This couple bought Courbefy in 2003 they wanted to open a hotel and a holiday centre

In 2006 there business was not working out as they planned and they put Courbefy up for sale for a million euros

By 2008 they left but it was still on the market with a price fall( new price 700,000 euros)

2012 five years later it ends up in court for 300,000 euros and nobody wants it apart from the local council but they said that its to expensive!

A farmer sorry a spokesman from the bank said today" that they were going to think about what they will do with regards to Courbefy"

HOLA4421

http://carteimmo.fr/

This is a new website that has been around since last week

Its a mixture of leboncoin and Google maps

To use it you click onto buying or renting

Then add on your town or postcode

Thats normally enough but you have a price size and surface size as well!

Once you have entered what you are looking for you should be able to (more or less) pin-point exact locations of property that is on the Boncoin

Most EAs and websites in France are misleading when it comes to exact locations of property

You might be looking for a town -centre location but the advert that you are looking at turns out to be 40 miles away!

Just some background info the webmaster that invented this site said that he lived in one town and his girlfriend in another!

He couldn't find any where for them to live( a sort of half -way distance due to there jobs) so he invented this site last week

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Come on you lot.

I need some help to figure something out.

Would there be any issues in renting a property out in France but being paid in sterling into a UK account?

Where abouts in France are you having issues with renting?

Can i have the French postcode please !

Otherwise why don't you telephone them heres there number

0810 467 687 price of a French local call

Why not send them a mail at

particuiliers@assistance.impots.gouv.fr

They will answer your questions

HOLA4424

you have already had several answers.

No, I haven't. I had one.

Redwine: it's not about me wanting to rent somewhere, It's just a general question about where it would be sensible to make the rental payments into - or more to the point, why someone would prefer to use a UK sterling rather than a French Euro account.

Edit: Actually, on re-reading I see that Wannabe half answered my question. It should be declared in France, okay. But what would be the benefit to the landlord to have it paid into a UK account in sterling?

Edited by dipstick

HOLA4425

http://www.la-vie-nouvelle.fr/actualite/La-Savoie-attire-les-Fran%C3%A7ais-et-les-etrangers-4036.html

La Vie Nouvelle

The New Life 27/2/12

Chambery and Savoie

La Savoie attire les Francais et les etrangers

The Savoie attracts the French and the foreigners

The figures are collected to evaluate 'the property market' using sales and property transactions.

These stats are the stats that INSEE use says Michel Carmoz president of the Notarys of Savoie.

The study made in 2011 shows a massive increase in the price of property.

Over the last 10 years the price of flats have increased by 107,5% in the Savoie (113% in France)

A fall -0,9% in the Savoie for 2011.

The same for houses +100% In the Savoie (+90.5% average national)

In this context the banks have an important role to play they must continue to lend!

Average prices per m2 for old property 2,909 euros (+1,1%)

+3% in Chambery at 2,115 euros.

In the ski-stations we sell studios.

In Chambery we sell 4 room flats.

For the first time the notarys are interested in the origins of the buyers.

77% of land bought is bought by the locals.

70% of houses again bought by the locals.

"We have noticed a fall in the number of foreign buyers in the Savoie especially the British .

Although there are more Belgians.

This fall was first noticed in 2007 at the start of the 'economic crisis'.

IMHO They do not give out the number of sales or prices as usual just percentages

At least they are coming out with "we are selling"

They are public servants paid on average 23,000 euros a month!