• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

Heanor - shudder
Newton Abbot - dead.
Sheffield
Hull
Northolt/Rayners Lane - Just a bloody awful place.
Peckham
Welyn Garden City
Milton Keynes - nothing available without a car.
Warrington
Brentwood
Need to understand how it has come to this? Read this Click here!

Money saving tips from the ever brilliant lifehacker.

End the BBC license fee

#108 Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

The most depressing town in the whole of Great Britain is .... Glossop.
I was born there and everytime I drive through it I have to keep my speed down.

Dreadful, grey bleak place.

#109 gotoutintime

gotoutintime

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

I am pretty sure that no one has mentioned Sunny Slough, or Warsaw at it was affectionately known a couple of years ago.

For those of you who would like to spend a depressing day there, you van visit the lovely sink estates of Britwell, Manor Park and the lovely Romanian town of Chalvey :unsure:

#110 gotoutintime

gotoutintime

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

The most depressing town in the whole of Great Britain is .... Glossop.
I was born there and everytime I drive through it I have to keep my speed down.

Dreadful, grey bleak place.

Did you wear a full face crash helmet too? :rolleyes:

#111 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,601 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

Why has no-one mentioned Middlesbrough?

I spent a scary week there one night.

www.chavtowns.co.uk - essential reading!

Ha, yes, central Middlesborough appears to be the only place in the UK sliding into full scale Detoit type abandonment...

http://maps.live.com...&...6&encType=1

At least Burnley seems to attract some deluded BTLers to do up the terraces every so often.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#112 Guest_X-QUORK_*

Guest_X-QUORK_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Guys, what are Derby and Bristol like? I was considering a job with Rolls Royce and they operate in these two places.

Derby's a bit of a dump, but it has some seriously nice countryside nearby. Bristol's come up in the world in a sort of urban facelift kind of way, but still pretty rough around the edges. I understand Clifton is a nice part of town. It's only a couple of hours from surfing country, or an hour from the Welsh mountains, so like Derby, plenty to do outdoors.

For me, it would be Bristol.

#113 SaintJay

SaintJay

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

ermmm..... you all forgot

CARLISLE

also:

newport (mentioned)
hartlepool
wallsend
croydon
dalston

#114 gotoutintime

gotoutintime

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

All these pale into insignificance when Jaywick is taken into consideration :) http://news.bbc.co.u...sex/4771660.stm

Jaywick Sands, I used to get taken there when I was 2 or 3 years old with the rest of the family. Luckily I can't remember it but my Dad discovered West Wittering in Sussex after that.

#115 bidingmytime

bidingmytime

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Is London a town? Always depresses me when I visit.

Yes i hate that place i was brought up in Newcastle and was taught to hate cockneys, unfortunately these indigenous folk have all pretty much been replaced in the last 20 years.

But ive also just lived in Newcastle after leaving there 20 years ago and what a depressing place it is, with all manner of angry fcukers telling you how people from Newcastle are these fun warm and friendly people, yet they despise anyone born on the wrong side of a river.

But the winner has to be Slough.

PS Today I was offered a 3 year contract in Rayong, Thailands oil sector, this view will be what i am waking up to.
Posted Image

Edited by bidingmytime, 07 May 2009 - 04:16 PM.

#116 Guest_X-QUORK_*

Guest_X-QUORK_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

Redditch is grim and soulless, nearly as bad as its ugly sister, Coventry.

#117 DeepLurker

DeepLurker

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

I nominate Skelmersdale for the title!

There's a wonderful description of it here.

From when I worked there:
  • The whole town is designed around roundabouts and dual carriageways. No, seriously, there's nowhere that you can walk to.
  • The dual carriageways were thoughtfully designed with earth mounds on either side which hide the houses from the road and cut down on noise. The locals then nicked all the road signs from the roundabouts, so that out-of-towners would get lost in a maze of bland, identical dual carriageways.
  • Other towns in West Lancs quip that Skem was designed to take the worst tenants of neighbouring Liverpool and Wigan. I won't comment :P
  • I toyed with the idea of moving there (that was before I knew the place). Visited one place where the landlady was wonderfully honest: "Watch out for the neighbours dog, it bit the previous tenants".
  • The shopping centre at the centre of town is grim... but to be fair, a cr***y shopping centre seems to be at heart of most British towns these days ;)
  • There's a shopping centre, an Asda. a swimming pool, a library, a couple of newsagents/corner shops and a couple of pubs. Absolutely nothing else.
  • The whole place feels like a council estate. I'm not sure if any of the new town was privately built.
  • It's the second largest town in the northwest with no train station. Good luck if you don't own a car, or are under 18.

Edited by DeepLurker, 07 May 2009 - 04:23 PM.

Food, shelter; both are basic necessities of life.
If you call out for cheaper food, you are a saint.
If you call out for cheaper shelter, you are ostracised, ridiculed, even your partners and family feel slightly ashamed of you.

#118 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Leicester
Northampton (already mentioned, but was a very nice country market town making boots and shoes until the 1960's, and ruined by the development board)

All the "A6" towns namely Rothwell, Kettering, and Desborough with the possible exception of Market Harborough.

Not sure where I would choose to live. Its why I'll stay in the London area as there is a buzz and always something to see.

Whats wrong with Romford? I quite like it :ph34r:

Not sure London boroughs should count!

Forgot to mention another sh1t town..

Corby!

Edited by rover2000, 07 May 2009 - 04:18 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#119 gotoutintime

gotoutintime

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Yes i hate that place i was brought up in Newcastle and was taught to hate cockneys, unfortunately these indigenous folk have all pretty much been replaced in the last 20 years.

But ive also just lived in Newcastle after leaving there 20 years ago and what a depressing place it is, with all manner of angry fcukers telling you how people from Newcastle are these fun warm and friendly people, yet they despise anyone born on the wrong side of a river.

But the winner has to be Slough.

PS Today I was offered a 3 year contract in Rayong, Thailands oil sector, this view will be what i am waking up to.
Posted Image

Yeah, take the job and go for it! ;)

#120 workingnomad

workingnomad

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Bristol certainly shouldn't be on the list, although the south and east can be pretty grim.

My home town Ipswich should get a mention. Think it was one of the top 10 in craptowns book. Ipswich is chaville.

Lived in Slough once and never found it that bad if you stayed away from certain estates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users