House Price Crash forum: Birmingham And Nearby Towns - House Price Crash forum

Jump to content

powered by
  • (3 Pages) +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Birmingham And Nearby Towns

#16 User is offline   dom72 

  • HPC Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 24-June 08

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

http://89.151.106.242/4dcgi/search/Details...d?itemid=183993

have a look. this was on at 599k for 38 weeks. had a viewing. needed work. they spent 10k on new carpet and cheap B&Q kitchen (for as house worth 500k at least?) and put the price up to 699k

nuts
nutss!!!!

#17 User is offline   janet41 

  • HPC Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 10-July 08

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

View PostNotlongnow, on Jul 10 2008, 09:57 PM, said:

Not Barnt Green is it?


No, not Barnt Green; am around the stourbridge/belbroughton/hagley/chaddesley area

#18 User is offline   Qplate 

  • HPC Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 142
  • Joined: 10-June 08

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

Dare i say this i today had my "rental" property valued for auction as it has been on the market for 5months unsold @ 99,950 which would of been cheap last year... The auction agent told me a realistic figure for this property (a 3 bed gch in good & modern decorative order ) would be 60k on a good day!
In the 5 months it had been marketed ive had a few viewings but not 1 decent offer and a few weeks ago had a letter from the original estate agents saying they was closing their branch in my area.....
I am going to re- rent it now and wait for the market to improve as it used to be my own home only kept it incase my relationship didnt work out but as were married now thought it might of been time to sell.... Oh well maybe in 5yrs!!

#19 User is offline   sam73 

  • HPC Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 02-July 08

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:35 AM

Newbie here

Been a lurker for a long time but always afraid to post as Im nowhere near as knowledgable as you lovely peeps. Anyway, just wanted to update whats happening in my area of Sutton Coldfield.

Im in rented accomodation and in the lucky position that when I do finally buy it will be a cash purchase so have been an avid follower of right move for the last 12 months or so. In the last two days, two of the major Agents in the area, Paul Carr and Acres (hope im allowed to name them) have removed all property from Rightmove. Also Acres have closed at least one of their offices in Walmley, Sutton Coldfield. Not sure about there other areas.

According to houseprice.co.uk, in June only 5 properties sold in my postcode area B76 (walmley and surrounding areas) and the previous two months were 9 properties a month. With 3 agents in B76 thats not a lot to go round. The norm for this time last year was around 60 properties a month

Have just seen the first 3 bed property to come to the market at under 160 which sets a bit of a precedent for Walmley. Would love to know if anyone else is following Sutton Coldfield, and Walmley in particular.

#20 User is offline   johnycoldears 

  • HPC Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 141
  • Joined: 29-October 07

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

View Postsam73, on Aug 2 2008, 07:35 AM, said:

Newbie here

Been a lurker for a long time but always afraid to post as Im nowhere near as knowledgable as you lovely peeps. Anyway, just wanted to update whats happening in my area of Sutton Coldfield.

Im in rented accomodation and in the lucky position that when I do finally buy it will be a cash purchase so have been an avid follower of right move for the last 12 months or so. In the last two days, two of the major Agents in the area, Paul Carr and Acres (hope im allowed to name them) have removed all property from Rightmove. Also Acres have closed at least one of their offices in Walmley, Sutton Coldfield. Not sure about there other areas.

According to houseprice.co.uk, in June only 5 properties sold in my postcode area B76 (walmley and surrounding areas) and the previous two months were 9 properties a month. With 3 agents in B76 thats not a lot to go round. The norm for this time last year was around 60 properties a month

Have just seen the first 3 bed property to come to the market at under 160 which sets a bit of a precedent for Walmley. Would love to know if anyone else is following Sutton Coldfield, and Walmley in particular.


I would also be very interested to know more about the Sutton Coldfield market.

My wife tragically lost her mother a few months back and, along with her siblings, has inherited a run down property in Sutton Coldfield. Once the family have finished removing the effects from the house they face the unenviable task of trying to sell into this market.

My Wife understands (after a lot of educating / nagging from me) just how bad the current situation is, and how much worse it is likely to get. The problem will be in persuading her brothers and sisters to price sensibly and undercut the market.

#21 User is offline   Alfie Moon 

  • HPC Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,365
  • Joined: 14-August 04

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hi johnycoldears,
Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. In regard to your wife and her brothers and sisters it may be a case of 'seeing is believing'. Of course, you may have done this already but downloading Property Bee (which tracks price changes on Rightmove) might help them see just how much price cutting is going on in the West Midlands - including Sutton Coldfield. If you have Property Bee operating in 'hive' mode you should be able to see price changes going back quite a few months.
I have been tracking Sutton Coldfield for a while (as well as Lichfield, as you know) and have been surprised at the large number of properties coming on the market. Plenty of the property, as elsewhere, seems to be stuck not selling. If I hear anything about the Sutton Coldfield market I will let you know.

See the following BBC listing of Land Registry House Price data for the West Midlands: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ces/html/cn.stm
Unfortunately Sutton Coldfield isn't specifically identified - but look at the quaterly house price falls in Solihull, Wolverhampton, etc. These stats might help your wife and her brothers and sisters see the reality of the housing market more clearly


edited: to add info

This post has been edited by Alfie Moon: 05 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

The Home Buyers Strike:
http://www.facebook....104936389547036

#22 User is offline   tinecu 

  • HPC Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,243
  • Joined: 07-March 06

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

Yoy update:

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...&lastyear=1

flat prices down 29% already....

blimey this going to be a big crash.
Bubble, bubble, oil and trouble.

Countrywide, the UK's biggest chain of estate agents, plans to shut some of its branches after being hit by a spate of cancelled sales, the Financial Times newspaper reported on Saturday, quoting Harry Hill, Countrywide's chairman. Forbes. 18.11.07

There were 18,000+ UK Estate Agents (sales offices) according to Home.co.uk in Sept 07, a year later in Sept 08 there are just under 16,000 (and falling).

#23 User is offline   johnycoldears 

  • HPC Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 141
  • Joined: 29-October 07

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

View Posttinecu, on Aug 8 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Yoy update:

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...&lastyear=1

flat prices down 29% already....

blimey this going to be a big crash.



Hmm... detatched houses up 74% in the last 12 months. I think I might take that data with a pinch of salt.

Either that or the OH + siblings are going to be pretty well off when they sell their Mother's house.

#24 User is offline   heresjohnny 

  • HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 327
  • Joined: 30-December 05

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

Hi All

We've just moved to Solihull from London (although I'm a Midlander - from Lichfield originally). We're looking to buy a 4 bed detached house - we took an offer of 80% of asking price for our London place - will the good folk of Solihull be as accomodating?

I've seen a 4 bed at the Warwick Road end of Silhill Road for 500k - what do any locals think? Stupid question but should we stay renting for a while? What are the long term prospects for Solihull - historically does it hold value? Must say we absolutley love it here - great part of the world - so would assume it would hold value quite well even in a declingin market. Any help much appreciated

#25 User is offline   johnycoldears 

  • HPC Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 141
  • Joined: 29-October 07

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

View Postheresjohnny, on Dec 15 2008, 09:18 PM, said:

Hi All

We've just moved to Solihull from London (although I'm a Midlander - from Lichfield originally). We're looking to buy a 4 bed detached house - we took an offer of 80% of asking price for our London place - will the good folk of Solihull be as accomodating?

I've seen a 4 bed at the Warwick Road end of Silhill Road for 500k - what do any locals think? Stupid question but should we stay renting for a while? What are the long term prospects for Solihull - historically does it hold value? Must say we absolutley love it here - great part of the world - so would assume it would hold value quite well even in a declingin market. Any help much appreciated


Solihull is one of the poshest suburbs of Brum. In fact most of them deny they are from Birmingham (the 0121 phone code gives it away though)

Solihull traditionally holds up better than almost anywhere else in the West Midlands due to it's desirability and proximity to open countryside.

Funny thing is that Solihull actually translates into "pig sty on a hill" in Saxon - and they really don't like that one !

This post has been edited by johnycoldears: 19 December 2008 - 09:12 AM


#26 User is offline   boringcnut 

  • HPC Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 20-December 08

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

4 beds det going for 450 - 475 down there late 2007 so the one you refer must be fully kitted i guess all the trimmings big drive garden the lot, just consider schools as private is well pricey and like someone said very snobby not in a good way all fur coat no knickers round there.

#27 User is offline   heresjohnny 

  • HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 327
  • Joined: 30-December 05

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

View Postboring*****, on Dec 20 2008, 03:23 AM, said:

4 beds det going for 450 - 475 down there late 2007 so the one you refer must be fully kitted i guess all the trimmings big drive garden the lot, just consider schools as private is well pricey and like someone said very snobby not in a good way all fur coat no knickers round there.

ha ha - know what you mean. Been doing a bit more research (land registry, neighbors and so on) and this one is definately over priced (even for todays market).

Thanks for the replies!!

#28 User is offline   brush2805 

  • HPC Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 57
  • Joined: 22-May 07

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:28 AM

Birmingham Mail on 16 December 2008 reports that the developers of this development have gone bust.See this

White Fire developments are the company that has gone into administration. Interesting that the website above says that all the flats are sold.

Who would want to live in the middle of the A45?

#29 User is offline   manterik 

  • HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 615
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

View Postjohnycoldears, on Dec 19 2008, 09:09 AM, said:

Solihull is one of the poshest suburbs of Brum. In fact most of them deny they are from Birmingham (the 0121 phone code gives it away though)

Solihull traditionally holds up better than almost anywhere else in the West Midlands due to it's desirability and proximity to open countryside.

Funny thing is that Solihull actually translates into "pig sty on a hill" in Saxon - and they really don't like that one !


Coming from Solihull I can, in all sincerity say, we are not bothered in the slightest. In fact it is found rather amusing.

Prices in Shirley seem to be coming down quite significantly. I have been looking at semi-detached houses just off union road and they are around 20% down on what they used to be going for at the moment. More to come I fancy.

#30 User is offline   manterik 

  • HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 615
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

View Postbrush2805, on Jan 17 2009, 05:28 AM, said:

Birmingham Mail on 16 December 2008 reports that the developers of this development have gone bust.See this

White Fire developments are the company that has gone into administration. Interesting that the website above says that all the flats are sold.

Who would want to live in the middle of the A45?


Next to a petrol station for good measure. The coventry road goes either side of these boxes and is beset with traffic jams. Sheldon is an okay area, nothing to write home about.

How much are they going for ?

This post has been edited by manterik: 18 January 2009 - 02:36 AM


  • (3 Pages) +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users