126 replies to this topic

#1 Turnbull2000

Turnbull2000

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

Sister looking to sell up 3 bed terrace due to imminent divorce. Valued at 190K 12 months ago (following breakup), valued today at 220K with view to selling up ASAP. Doesn't mean much unless it's sold of course, but an indication of EA optimism.

#2 meow

meow

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

...but an indication of EA optimism.

Which counts for absolutely zilch in my eyes.
MEOW - Mortgage Equity Over Withdrawal

A woman phoned in today to say there was a house price crash coming, don't worry, there isn't....

#3 lesqualita

lesqualita

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

hi, been watching a house in holystone avenue whitley bay originally priced around 300.000. traditionall 3 bed sem which has been extended to 5 beds. very expensive to heat now with fuel sky high.) it hasdropped to 275.00 with about 6 weeks . spoke to a very patronising ea who said if i had no chain and made a cash offer they might accept 250.00. i still think this house is not worth more than 180-90 to be honest.

#4 meow

meow

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

hi, been watching a house in holystone avenue whitley bay originally priced around 300.000. traditionall 3 bed sem which has been extended to 5 beds. very expensive to heat now with fuel sky high.) it hasdropped to 275.00 with about 6 weeks . spoke to a very patronising ea who said if i had no chain and made a cash offer they might accept 250.00. i still think this house is not worth more than 180-90 to be honest.

And do you have no chain and a big deposit?

Offer what you think and tell them to come back to you "when" they change their mind.

Also you might like to interject some counter patronism such as "and if it comes with a fairy that does all the house work I 'might' offer 200"

Edited by meow, 10 June 2008 - 04:30 PM.

MEOW - Mortgage Equity Over Withdrawal

A woman phoned in today to say there was a house price crash coming, don't worry, there isn't....

#5 cerbera

cerbera

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

Rough end of Whitley Bay as well, even in the better end (Queens Rd area) you would have been struggling to get 300k last year. Who is the estate agent - hes wasting their time, even an optimistic estate agent would be starting below the 250 mark

#6 lesqualita

lesqualita

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

Rough end of Whitley Bay as well, even in the better end (Queens Rd area) you would have been struggling to get 300k last year. Who is the estate agent - hes wasting their time, even an optimistic estate agent would be starting below the 250 mark

#7 lesqualita

lesqualita

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

this house is up with just about every e. agent if you google holystone avenue whitley bay for sale. the price varies on each site. pattersons has the price at 275 i think. thanks for the advice, i didnt realise this was a rough area. yes i have cash and no chain.

#8 renterbob

renterbob

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Used to work as a chef in my young 'work for sh*te' days in St Annes Care home.....what a pisspoor town......nice laydees though in that Seafront Hotel nightclub on Thursday evenings....but gotta be honest, no match for the South Shields 'beauties'...fook me...what a bunch of pigs (laydee pigs)!!!

:lol:
'I was convinced that the shere size of the global housing bubble would bring everything down when it collapsed and that we would end up in a very severe recession.'
'I have long held that the HPC would see at east 50% off house prices. I recently revised this to 60%. Why so dramatic? Again, another no-brainer'
RealistBear Oct 24, 2008

#9 Favre

Favre

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

Sister looking to sell up 3 bed terrace due to imminent divorce. Valued at 190K 12 months ago (following breakup), valued today at 220K with view to selling up ASAP. Doesn't mean much unless it's sold of course, but an indication of EA optimism.

Just recieved the local News Guardian,

Halifax EA franchise has closed dowm, thats the 3rd Estate Agent in Whitley Bay to go down in the last quarter,

interesting times ahead.

#10 Turnbull2000

Turnbull2000

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

After six months on the market at 205K, she received an offer of 185K... and rejected it. Buyer came back within 1 hour with 190K... she accepted. Pretty good going considering the 185K valuation last summer.

edit in bold

Edited by Turnbull2000, 21 October 2008 - 09:32 AM.

#11 Guest_Daddy Bear_*

Guest_Daddy Bear_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

After six months on the market at 205K, she received an offer of 185K... and rejected it. Buyer came back within 1 hour with 190K... she accepted. Pretty good going considering the 198K valuation last summer.

Wait for the gazunder.........betchya :P

Keep us updated

DB

#12 Turnbull2000

Turnbull2000

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Wait for the gazunder.........betchya :P

Keep us updated

DB

She moved last Monday. Bought a two bed flat in Tynemouth for 138k, which last sold for 140K in 2007.

But, a five bed detached sea front property in Tynemouth originally listed summer 2007 at 500K sold for 360K summer 2008 :)

Edited by Turnbull2000, 16 January 2009 - 10:09 PM.

#13 deeplyblue

deeplyblue

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:03 AM

Anyone got comments on the Beaumont Park area? This house just on the market. Price a bit out of our reach at the moment, so I wondered if others with knowledge of the area (and the estate agents) would care to comment - too much? sensible price for early 2009?

db

#14 Turnbull2000

Turnbull2000

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:39 AM

My Mam moved to West Monkseaton in February 2007 and paid the 140,000 asking price on a two-bed house. Fast-forward to February 2009, and the property next door is up for 145,000. I doubt they'll get that much, but we'll see.

Edited by Turnbull2000, 01 February 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#15 lordlucan

lordlucan

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

my experience looking in this area is that agents are still putting houses on the market at the same prices as they achieved in '07. Also they are sticking unrenovated houses on at the same price as those that have been done up. With sales down by 90% you wonder how long this will go on. Very frustrating when you have taken the 15-20% hit to sell your own property, want to do a deal and are then left twiddling your thumbs because none of the agents will confront the elephant in the room and give their clients an honest valuation.

As someone who works in commercial property where we have seen values tank by 35% the above behavior seems very "last year". Stop trying to talk up the market and do some deals before prices drop any further. Waiting for a better offer is not good sense. Am now starting to thing that I'll have to rent for a few months while people get serious which would be a pain.

The really worrying / comical thing about all this is that rents are falling, so the floor is dropping away beneath people. Why would anyone buy a house in the market for more than a 5% yield on rents?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users