229 replies to this topic

#16 ILikeBigBoobs

ILikeBigBoobs

Multi-Identity Troll

• Trolls
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:23 PM

Many years ago I dealt with a Leeds bullion dealer called Ross - Who also offered, what he said, was an excellent deal where he kept the kruggers safe for you and paid you 3.5% interest on their value. Yes, he paid you 3.5% !! :lol:

Thankfully I took mine home to to caress and count. However many didn't and, when the inevitable scam was uncovered and Mr.Ross had fled to Israel, he was found to have parted around £7 million from his customers, although police believed the real total to be much higher as, of course, for lots of the 'investors' this wasn't money they wished the authorities to have too much knowledge of!

He was eventually caught and returned to the UK and, if memory serves me right got 6 years - served three. Worth it? I guess it depends on whether he met any of his ex-clients associates in Armley? :(

#17 OzzMosiz

OzzMosiz

Work to live, don't live to work

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:33 PM

Ive been reading this, and i wonder why you dont just hide cash ? if you incur all these charges ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess gold will go up, cash hidden in a tin won't! It'll depreciate!
WRITE TO YOUR MP @ http://www.writetothem.com/

There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

~ Richard Feynman (1918 to 1988)

#18 Silverity

Silverity

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Ive been reading this, and i wonder why you dont just hide cash ? if you incur all these charges ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You incur an inflationary charge by not offsetting the effects of inflation in an interest-bearing bank account. Gold on the other hand, goes down during deflation/disinflation and up during inflation/reflation. Cash has the opposite effect.
Silverity

The Silver Analyst

For all things silver ....

#19 Sine270

Sine270

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

Anyone know if taking your coins abroad will be a problem if you emigrate?
Might have to pay tax on them or something?
Would it be easy to sneak them through or would they be detected? :(

#20 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:43 PM

1/10th oz gold coins are mostly considered to be jewellery grade, one of the most common coins for investment is the Krugerrand, it is well known worldwide and easily re-sellable

http://www.taxfreego...rugersindx.html

1oz coins are best for investment purposes IMO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good thread. Sorry to sound green, but why the Krugerrand? They are south african-would it be better to buy brittish full sovereigns?

untitled.PNG

#21 Sine270

Sine270

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:21 PM

Goldline Bullion Coin prices today:

Australia Nugget 1oz £268.25

Austria Philharmoniker 1oz £268.25

Belgium Ecu 1oz £265.50

Canada Maple Leaf 1oz £255.25

Great Britain Britannia 1 oz £273.25

South Africa Krugerrand 1oz £252.25

U.S.A. Eagle 1oz £261.25

The British coin is the most expensive for the same weight of gold. This could be the reason it is less attractive to investors. The Krugerrand is the cheapest therefore is perhaps the best choice.

I just ordered a Britannia though because it is aparently the most Beautiful

#22 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

Ta,I think I will buy a few Krugerrands they look a good buy for insurance sakes.

Edited by trev, 19 June 2005 - 08:54 PM.

untitled.PNG

#23 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

written in 1997, interesting read,considering gold is back upto 425.
http://www.btimes.co...ney/btmoney.htm
ARE the days of gold as a great powerhouse of wealth gone for good? The shiny metal was sitting pretty at $485 an ounce in 1983, but today is priced at a gloomy $324 .<P>

Edited by trev, 20 June 2005 - 03:22 PM.

untitled.PNG

#24 Silverity

Silverity

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

written in 1997, interesting read,considering gold is back upto 425. 

Thanks. It actually got worst as gold kept on going down into 1999/2001 to form a double bottom of $255 an ounce. Central banks were also heavy sellers of gold until the Washington Agreement limited annual bullion sales. This caused a short-covering spike move of $70 I believe.
Silverity

The Silver Analyst

For all things silver ....

#25 uforia98

uforia98

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

anyone bought coins recently ? I listened (again) to this last night:

http://www.netcastda.../fsnewshour.htm (July 1, 4th hour)

and since those guys are saying it again and again (to invest in gold !), I bought some coins last night (I invested in some gold and national resource funds some time ago already (which went up recently) and thought I need some precious metal in my pocket now). Just a few really and I know I won't get rich with them, but I felt it would be nice to have a few 1 oz gold coins, who knows when they come in handy...

BTW, I bought them from mainland europe in EUR, the rates converted into pound were much better than if I would have bought here in the UK. Is it normal that gold coins bought with EUR are cheaper than those bought with GBP ?

#26 bottletop

bottletop

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:50 PM

BTW, I bought them from mainland europe in EUR, the rates converted into pound were much better than if I would have bought here in the UK. Is it normal that gold coins bought with EUR are cheaper than those bought with GBP ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where did you get them from may I ask - I'm always looking out for the cheapest supplier

#27 uforia98

uforia98

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:44 PM

where did you get them from may I ask - I'm always looking out for the cheapest supplier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.muenzhandlung-pickel.de/

with a little bit of german you should find what you want (click on the SHOP link). You will have to transfer the money into their bank account though, but it seems a reputable company . I will let you know when I received my coins if you are interested.

BTW, prices for the 1 oz coins droppend by 1 and 2 EUR since I bought them,

Krügerrand 1oz Gold 357,00 EUR
Maple Leaf 1oz Gold 362,00 EUR
Nugget 1oz Gold 362,00 EUR

#28 Sine270

Sine270

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:37 PM

http://www.muenzhandlung-pickel.de/

with a little bit of german you should find what you want (click on the SHOP link). You will have to transfer the money into their bank account though, but it seems a reputable company . I will let you know when I received my coins if you are interested.

BTW, prices for the 1 oz coins droppend by 1 and 2 EUR since I bought them,

Krügerrand 1oz Gold  357,00 EUR
Maple Leaf 1oz Gold    362,00 EUR
Nugget 1oz Gold    362,00 EUR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That seems to work out at about £10 cheaper for the krugers Nuggets about £15 cheaper. That is compared with Goldline.

#29 delboypass

delboypass

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

So after reading this thread I still have no idea of how to go about buying a gold coin. Can anyone list through all the steps.

Is this correct...
If i go online to
1/ http://www.muenzhandlung-pickel.de/
or
2/ http://www.goldline....HomeFrame.ghtml

I can buy gold and they will deliver them to my house??

What if I wanted to pay cash, where would i have to go? Is there a UK company across the UK that i can walk into with a reputation of honesty?

2nd Question...
Where do you guys store all your gold. You dont have to precisely tell me of course i wouldnt mind a map with an x on it.
Do you have safes or do you just dig a hole or do you rent a safety container at a bank?

#30 Timmy Manson

Timmy Manson

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

So after reading this thread I still have no idea of how to go about buying a gold coin. Can anyone list through all the steps.

1. Search on the nete for Gold Coin / Bullion dealers. There are for example several in London.

2. Go along and ask the current price for a KR.

3. Go and withdraw the appropriate amount of cash from an ATM, return to shop and buy coins.

That's it.
I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users