South West
MoM: +1.6%
YoY: -0.6%
Ave Price: 173,090

Bristol
MoM: +0.2%
YoY: -3.4%
Ave Price: 165,510

Small national blip happening, driven by London and happening in the SE & SW. Bristol performing worse than regional and national, but having a small move upwards.

Although Land Registry have revised down last month's -0.1% fall to a -0.2% fall, so this months rise would have been less than +0.1% if this adjustment hadn't happened.

Volumes remain low (in 400 to 500 monthly band this year up till latest availabile - Nov - compared to pre crunch levels of 700-1000 per month)

Feb LR Bristol figures now out.

National
MoM: +0.1%
Average Price: 161,588

South West
YoY: +0.1%
Average Price: 172,659

Bristol
YoY: -2.2%
Average Price: 165,360

Although this positive figure is entirely based upon downwards revisions to last months figures. Last months figure was 165,510 (150 higher than this months), but this has been revised down to 164,981 - an actual fall of 529 or -0.3%!.

Cheeky flippin monkeys.

#317 Untoward

Untoward

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

National

South West

Bristol

Although this positive figure is entirely based upon downwards revisions to last months figures. Last months figure was 165,510 (150 higher than this months), but this has been revised down to 164,981 - an actual fall of 529 or -0.3%!.

Cheeky flippin monkeys.

Asking prices seem to have gone even more mental since Christmas, I am specifically looking at BS6 & BS2 (Cotham & Kingsdown). Based on the February figures, they cannot be shifting. Indeed, I have been checking the old Property Bee and there are huge amounts of SSTC from January. They are not selling.

#318 Jimmy_James

Jimmy_James

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Asking prices seem to have gone even more mental since Christmas, I am specifically looking at BS6 & BS2 (Cotham & Kingsdown). Based on the February figures, they cannot be shifting. Indeed, I have been checking the old Property Bee and there are huge amounts of SSTC from January. They are not selling.

Know what you mean.

Kingsdown has got far far ahead of itself in terms of pricing - places there are now as, and sometimes more, expensive than Clifton. It has some nice housing stock there, but it's still on the edge of some touch and go areas. I like it, but would you pay 3/4 of a million to live within a stones throw of a crack den?

Kingsdown and Montpellier will be interesting case studies for the durability of post boom gentrification, particularly if Stokie gets more sketchy and the riots become more regular. Will be interesting to see if the middle class start to get worried by social tensions again.

#319 Untoward

Untoward

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Know what you mean.

Kingsdown has got far far ahead of itself in terms of pricing - places there are now as, and sometimes more, expensive than Clifton. It has some nice housing stock there, but it's still on the edge of some touch and go areas. I like it, but would you pay 3/4 of a million to live within a stones throw of a crack den?

Kingsdown and Montpellier will be interesting case studies for the durability of post boom gentrification, particularly if Stokie gets more sketchy and the riots become more regular. Will be interesting to see if the middle class start to get worried by social tensions again.

Absolutely spot on.

There are beautiful houses in Kingsdown but it is bordered by dodge on 3 sides. It kicked off outside the Hare on the Hill last year. This year it may get even further up the hill (about 50 feet).

#320 Jimmy_James

Jimmy_James

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

It kicked off outside the Hare on the Hill last year. This year it may get even further up the hill (about 50 feet).

Sounds fun. Do you know what happened?

Incidently, a house right next to the Hare is currently up for sale for 650k, after they tried (and failed) to sell it for 690k two years ago: http://www.rightmove...y-37249742.html

On the Somerset Street tip, a friend who lives (renting) there said that last year a bunch of Somali girls on their walk back from school kicked in the front door of a house after getting into an argument with the owner. Just a few doors down from someone trying to sell a house for over 800k. Clifton prices, but not Clifton behaviour.

#321 spyguy

spyguy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

On the Somerset Street tip, a friend who lives (renting) there said that last year a bunch of Somali girls on their walk back from school kicked in the front door of a house after getting into an argument with the owner. Just a few doors down from someone trying to sell a house for over 800k. Clifton prices, but not Clifton behaviour.

What is it with Somalis and Bristol?

#322 CrashedOutAndBurned

CrashedOutAndBurned

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

I think Bristol's an odd one. Yes, there have been modest falls in the downturn but then little pockets of upturn, which I personally put down to younger people preferring urban living to the Sadly Broke experience and places like Easton becoming acceptable places to live and attracting a middle-class influx.

Even Easton is getting expensive with Greenbank, allegedly the 'nicer' bit, full of terraces approaching 200k.

The same process seems to be happening in the East - lots of economically-cleansed FTBs and renters going to St George/Redfield/Church Road, which is just showing mild gentrification with a token trendy cafe and non-threatening refurbed pubs amid the greasy takeaways and newsagents. So far prices haven't gone the way of Easton, St Werburghs, etc. - biggest downside is proximity to Barton/Lawrence Hill - by far the worse bits of Briz.
Consume The Mainstream Media http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

#323 Lagarde's Drift

Lagarde's Drift

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Incidently, a house right next to the Hare is currently up for sale for 650k, after they tried (and failed) to sell it for 690k two years ago: http://www.rightmove...y-37249742.html

Ahahahaha It's right next to Jamaica Street!!!

This wonderment of planning is right next door!!! I generally don't feel safe walking there in the day time, much less at night!!!

http://g.co/maps/p6afh

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#324 Ames

Ames

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Ahahahaha It's right next to Jamaica Street!!!

This wonderment of planning is right next door!!! I generally don't feel safe walking there in the day time, much less at night!!!

http://g.co/maps/p6afh

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice area!

http://www.crime-sta...Postcode/BS28LJ

#325 Lagarde's Drift

Lagarde's Drift

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Nice area!

http://www.crime-sta...Postcode/BS28LJ

Yes it is, unfortunately you can't afford it, it's 600k for a house down there. :D

p.s. If I had the time I might wander around using Streetview to see what sort of denizens are stalking the streets around there. There is a reason that the Compass Centre is located on Jamaica Street. http://www.bristol.gov.uk/node/2572

Brilliant! http://g.co/maps/6jf8g Gotta get back to work now :D :D

Edited by Lagarde's Drift, 16 April 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#326 Untoward

Untoward

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

[quote name='Jimmy_James' timestamp='1334332732' post='909013082']
Sounds fun. Do you know what happened?

It was the night of the Tesco riots. Chap in the pub lives in the flats opposite and told me about a Female ringleader ordering her Henchman to launch bricks at the flats and their windows. He heard the noise, ran to his balcony, gave a bit of verbal and became the target. He was raging.

Even Fremantle Square was breached. A massive wheelie bin was set alight and used as a barricade at the top of nine tree hill.

There has been an absolute glut of houses coming on in the last couple of weeks. Your earlier post is looking prophetic, BS6 homeowners seem to be on the run. Either that or the vendors have seen recent asking prices and are chancing their arm. Montpelier (I would never live there) is going nuts - they are on the way out. Looking at the escalating crime rates, I can see why.

#327 Jimmy_James

Jimmy_James

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

It was the night of the Tesco riots. Chap in the pub lives in the flats opposite and told me about a Female ringleader ordering her Henchman to launch bricks at the flats and their windows. He heard the noise, ran to his balcony, gave a bit of verbal and became the target. He was raging.

Even Fremantle Square was breached. A massive wheelie bin was set alight and used as a barricade at the top of nine tree hill.

There has been an absolute glut of houses coming on in the last couple of weeks. Your earlier post is looking prophetic, BS6 homeowners seem to be on the run. Either that or the vendors have seen recent asking prices and are chancing their arm. Montpelier (I would never live there) is going nuts - they are on the way out. Looking at the escalating crime rates, I can see why.

Blimey, breaching Fremantle Square - a key defensive line falls! And were those the flats in the tower block? Bit out of order for rioters to start targetting social housing flats..

Have got a mate who lives in Montpelier who says that the vibe has got much worse over the past couple of years - the Stokes Croft reputation has attracted a lot of new wasters, a victim of its own boho success. If a place is going to crumble first it will be Montpelier - the Belgium to Kingsdown's France. Have seen a few more windows being broken on Picton Street of late and an increase in rogue cider drinkers.

However people who want to live in Montpelier expect it to be rough round the edges, people in Kingsdown (or with 700k to spend on a house) are going to be a little more nervous of members of the underclass throwing up outside their Georgian front door (although perhaps it is an extra mark of 1790 authenticity?).

The glut is interesting (about 6 now on in Somerset Street and Kingsdown Parade at the +600k mark - above 2007 prices I think). Strongly suspect these are vendors who have been holding out since 2008 and now think the time is now here to get the price they always deserved. Some have been on the market on and off as either to rent or sale since 08.

The glut is not just a Kingsdown and Montpelier thing - Clifton has just seen a big surge of new properties. All three areas are seeing agents whack an extra big dollup on the asking price. Not too sure how the longest period of economic contraction since the 1930s justifies an extra 150k tho'.

#328 Jimmy_James

Jimmy_James

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

National

South West

Bristol

March LR City of Bristol data now out:

National
MoM: -0.6%
Average Price: 160,372

South West
MoM: -1.0%
YoY: -0.7%
Average Price: 170,261

Bristol
MoM: +0.3%
YoY: -1.5%
Average Price: 166,335

Third month in a row of positive MoMs for Bristol (although with some dodgy revisions), although this month's not as large as last.

Can't blame it on dodgy revisions this month though, as last months average price was revised up from 165,360 to 165,856, meaning this months rise would have been bigger without.

Means headline falls slowing down since November 2011 (for the time being). Latest transaction levels for Jan pitifully low, but slightly higher than 2011, 2010 and 2009.

You can do your own Bristol specific analysis here: http://www.landregis...earch-the-index

#329 dothemaths

dothemaths

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

March LR City of Bristol data now out:

National
MoM: -0.6%
Average Price: 160,372

South West
MoM: -1.0%
YoY: -0.7%
Average Price: 170,261

Bristol
MoM: +0.3%
YoY: -1.5%
Average Price: 166,335

Third month in a row of positive MoMs for Bristol (although with some dodgy revisions), although this month's not as large as last.

Can't blame it on dodgy revisions this month though, as last months average price was revised up from 165,360 to 165,856, meaning this months rise would have been bigger without.

Means headline falls slowing down since November 2011 (for the time being). Latest transaction levels for Jan pitifully low, but slightly higher than 2011, 2010 and 2009.

You can do your own Bristol specific analysis here: http://www.landregis...earch-the-index

In the areas I'm looking, BS6-BS9, there has been a drop in number of family properties for sale and a rise in asking prices.
It is looking like a bit of a seller's strike. However there is a glut of 2 bedroom flats for sale and rent and prices for both seem to be dropping. I think 2 bed flats even in Clifton are beginning to look very dodgy ...

#330 badsector

badsector

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

The "property" pull-out in the centre of Friday's Evening Post is looking rather sparse. It now has more "aspirational" articles, probably to fill the few pages, since there seems to be such few adverts from EAs. Just a few years back it was bursting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users